Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

aves

1967 Dodge Dart Take 2

208 posts in this topic

Thought I would start a build thread for Dart here. Probably be a slow painful build but what the hell. Here a bit a of background. I bought this car in early summer of 2010 as a roller to replace the Dakota r/t I was racing at the time.

dart67.jpg

dakdart.jpg

Found a 400 big block on ebay that was suppose to be fresh build to get in car to get it tagged and running. After engine arrived took oil pan off and pretty much found out I bought a rebuildable( or thought) block. Wiring on car was patched together and looked horrible. Ended up rewiring whole car while engine was out to get built. Decided to stroke motor to 472 cu inch and run e-85.

First rebuild of engine made around 482 rwhp( after second rebuild) and was running by  spring of '11. Best time by end of year was at mokan dragway at 10.16@132 on 275 drag radials. Ended up cracking another cylinder at end of year.  Video I got that year.

So send motor out again for rebuild to new builder. Guy is good but real slow lol. Get engine back about May. Engine makes 724 horse on engine dyno. Changed a lot new tranny with trans brake, new rear coil overs, and new exhaust on it. New cam bigger carb and ported heads make car not as fun to drive with the 5500 stall.

Bad video of start up after all night thrash to get car running for a race.

th_deb7618c.jpg

Had all kind of problems after getting back from harmonic balancer coming loose from rubber causing timing to go screwy all year( crank trigger). Could not get traction figures out at all think torsion bars were finally going bad. Best et could get was 10.03 with crappy 1.56 60' and tranny brake was useless. So what to do when ya cant get 60' down? Get pissed and throw some nitrous to it of course.

Added 125 shot. Ended up switching to c12 since could not get enough fuel with e-83 on the 1050dom I was running with e-85. Still had to foot brake best that way with 20% of shot on line was 1.51. Had rpm set to low on nitrous controller so it shut off at 1000' but still got my 9' pass. Sorry another bad quality video

Ran like that for about a month then this.

255DFD20-BE30-47C8-9556-618552462EC9-422

919DFA1B-ACD3-456E-9411-72E669C21576-726

C92857D3-4F61-47A2-8899-5B787F0CAAA4-726

Bent 6 of 8 connecting rods,tore one piston in half, one wrist pin in half, screw up crank from where one connecting rod rip off of it.

Sorry for long story just brings us up to date. Decided I want a more streetable car again but hopefully ends with more power. So first parts have arrived.

Old with the old heavy K member

E1BB2040-FE24-44B2-8727-3494B4B1C092-668

And in with the new Alterkation front end with wildwood brakes and gen3 hemi mounts. Not finish with install yet but here a couple

B76BCE9B-D0DA-4D6D-86B0-D797C7A32B07-668

75133FEA-D414-41A7-89F2-A7FB2C5A47FD-668

CF099740-CF15-461A-A7FE-A51F6156759E-668

Also oil pan designed to fit new front end

A657ABE4-C236-41DE-8BB2-46C87432BBF0-671

09CD963A-B5FF-424E-A4F4-2AEBBFED6ED8-671

After talking to friend at Bullseye turbo and Andy with PWR plan as of right now is stock displacement 6.1 with a few goodies in it and one of Bullseyes trick wheeled 83 mm turbos, ATi supercase powerglide, and air/water IC mounted in passenger footwell.  ECU as of right now will be the PROEFI 128. Plans could change as probably won't be running til this time next year depending on how money goes.

Sorry about the long book

Troy

Wow.... talk about carnage on the 472 engine. Nice move with the k member. Very interested to see what happens with the Gen III hemi. You are in good hands with Andy.

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Stevo

Breaking shit while racing....everything still attached.  A good day.

The alterkation front end is tits.  Looking forward to watching the build.

question:  any reason you're not good with an air to air and keeping things as simple as possible with the the turbo?  what kind of IATs are you targeting above ambient?  Reason I ask is I've had a lot of luck with a simple, good sized air to air in a not so great climate.

HS

Breaking shit while racing....everything still attached.  A good day.

The alterkation front end is tits.  Looking forward to watching the build.

question:  any reason you're not good with an air to air and keeping things as simple as possible with the the turbo?  what kind of IATs are you targeting above ambient?  Reason I ask is I've had a lot of luck with a simple, good sized air to air in a not so great climate.

HS

Originally was going to go air to air. But car is going to be dual purpose, but will probably lean more toward track. So to that end I am going to run a air/water so can run a 5 gallon tank in back to add ice to for track times, but going to try figure a way to run a small heat exchanger in front also for street. Temps here during summer regularly around 100+ so want air intake as cold as possible, and meth is not allowed in x275 or would just go that way for easy of use.

I know with this set-up I know I wont be competitive in x275 but wanna be close enough if they mess up I am close. Hopefully get lucky enough to run a sub 5 in 1/8 in perfect weather.

Troy

Originally was going to go air to air. But car is going to be dual purpose, but will probably lean more toward track. So to that end I am going to run a air/water so can run a 5 gallon tank in back to add ice to for track times, but going to try figure a way to run a small heat exchanger in front also for street. Temps here during summer regularly around 100+ so want air intake as cold as possible, and meth is not allowed in x275 or would just go that way for easy of use.

I know with this set-up I know I wont be competitive in x275 but wanna be close enough if they mess up I am close. Hopefully get lucky enough to run a sub 5 in 1/8 in perfect weather.

Troy

Best of luck, Troy.  Sounds like a cool build. 

I was suprised how well the air to air has done for me.  It's a pretty good sized heat exchanger, though.

HS

I dig that car.

Alterkation though?

Yea sorry never called about front end we talked about. Had a few things change around that time. After pricing everything to add to the AJE front end price was not that far off. Actually was considering the Magnum force k member more but could not get over how much they added for the hemi mounts and powder coating. Plus they still used the stock shock mounts where the Alterkation has its own mount. Mostly like the inner fender wells are going to be getting cut out for added room then try crafting new ones in outta aluminum.

Plus the rip Bill has with RMS is second to none on these cars and I will tell you this thing bolted right up( minus fighting with upper bump stops mounts).

Troy

Absolutely love the resto mod cars. The K-member looks awesome! One of these days I want to build another 69 road runner with a late model running gear.  

But I am also a big fan of the ole RB motors, nothing like the sound of a big ci RB with a lumpy cam and open headers. :)

Absolutely love the resto mod cars. The K-member looks awesome! One of these days I want to build another 69 road runner with a late model running gear.  

But I am also a big fan of the ole RB motors, nothing like the sound of a big ci RB with a lumpy cam and open headers. :)

Yea if I was going strictly race would have had a 572 with b-1 going in with a large fogger system. But those solid roller high lift cam plus 13/1 comp car get old driving around after a bit.

Troy

Yea if I was going strictly race would have had a 572 with b-1 going in with a large fogger system. But those solid roller high lift cam plus 13/1 comp car get old driving around after a bit.

Troy

I hear loud & clear Troy, that is definitely not a regularly driven street combo. lol

Well lets race to see who's 67 dart new gen hemi with turbo gets completed first.  What do ya say? lol

I guess i wont be so different after all now.  Shitnyou even went with a glide like me.  Damn next thing is your gonna say you have a 9" under that car. lol

What intake do you plan to run?  Efi system?

Nice car good luck getting it running.  I know mines been an account drainer for sure.  Didnt start with no roller like you though.  I got me a field car.

Well lets race to see who's 67 dart new gen hemi with turbo gets completed first.  What do ya say? lol

I guess i wont be so different after all now.  Shitnyou even went with a glide like me.  Damn next thing is your gonna say you have a 9" under that car. lol

What intake do you plan to run?  Efi system?

Nice car good luck getting it running.  I know mines been an account drainer for sure.  Didnt start with no roller like you though.  I got me a field car.

I keep changing way I am going as far as how deep I want to go with first build. I probably started build thread way too soon, but figure this keep me half way honest. I honestly don't see anyway I will be running before May of next year if I am lucky. It is killing me going to all the x275 races and not having anything to race.

I originally was just going to go with the Muscle motors version of drag pak with a 90* elbow but now leaning toward selling it and the FAST 92 mm TB and going with a Wilson or Hogan sheetmetal intake and upping the ante on engine itself.

Would love to switch to a 9" over the dana 60 that's in the car just for the gear selection you can get. But most likely will stick with it for now and find a good 3.54 gear to stick in it.WIll most likely be going with the ATI supercase powrglide with 1.8 first gear. That way don't have to put any kinda shield on top of transmission.

Troy

Have you mocked up the engine and that intake in your car yet?  I am planning on buying one that had the top cut down.  I have been wondering if it would clear a stock hood or not?

If not ill do the sheet metal intake as well but i really dont wanna spend the coin yet.  Hell i may do the modman and a box on top jist to keep my flat hood.

I keep changing way I am going as far as how deep I want to go with first build. I probably started build thread way too soon, but figure this keep me half way honest. I honestly don't see anyway I will be running before May of next year if I am lucky. It is killing me going to all the x275 races and not having anything to race.

Troy

I know the feeling man. Keep plugging away.