Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

YLWJKT

Bolt In Roll Cage?

54 posts in this topic

Among the many items I'm in the process of lining up during my build is a roll cage.

The last car I had a roll cage in was my '70 Challenger many years ago and it was a 4 point.

This will be a part time drag car with some street use. the target is mid to low 10's consistently..

Does anyone offer a bolt in cage? Opinions of bolt in vs weld in?

Thanks.

RPM

any roll bar bolted or welded to thin sheet metal is useless.

so if your not going to do it right might as well bolt it in yourself and save some money. Every little bit helps when it's time to bury you.

that's not right. that's fucking dangerous and looks like shit. Arrington does cages way better than that. A customer must have insisted on that atrousity. (yea can't spell that right)

10 point cage the dash has to come out.

What the fuck is that going to do when 4000lbs is sitting on it sliding down the track? That is really bad. I just can't believe that even exist.

If you are not going to run quicker than 10.0, you do not need to mess with the front dash bars at all. A 6-point with swing-out door bars is fine. One of the big advantages of a custom cage is clearance. You can have the bars tucked up tight so the cage blends into the interior. A bolt in cage runs right through the middle of the back seat area.

Here is the cage installed in my 2010 Challenger at a local race car shop:
http://s360.photobucket.com/user/novawagonmaster/library/Car%20pics/2010%20Challenger%20TA/Interior/Roll%20Bar?sort=3&page=1

If all you plan to do is run 10's (at some point) you could give thought to not even doing a cage. Who really knows what a cheap ass bolt in cage is going to do anyway. It could help and for sure is a pain in the ass on the street. It's your call to make, I couldn't take having a cage in my street car so I just bought a race car. lol

NHRA does not require a roll bar on 2008 and newer cars going 10.0 and slower and don't even try to argue the rules because you know I am a genius lol. But if my ass was going that fast I would want a roll bar.

I believe IHRA requires a bar for 10.99 and quicker.

I'm still doing due diligence in figuring out what classes to run.

I'll probably go with a 6 point weld in bar at minimum.

I believe IHRA requires a bar for 10.99 and quicker.

I'm still doing due diligence in figuring out what classes to run.

I'll probably go with a 6 point weld in bar at minimum.

NHRA 10.00 for 2008 and newer street cars. IHRA usually follows the same, you might check

That would be incorrect, 10.00 for 2008 and newer street cars.

I really think you need to check with the track. Some interpret the ruling as "any modifications" meaning, anything. I hope you are right Phil, I haven't tested it out anywhere but BG, and they let anything go. :)

I really think you need to check with the track. Some interpret the ruling as "any modifications" meaning, anything. I hope you are right Phil, I haven't tested it out anywhere but BG, and they let anything go. :)

Every year the NHRA makes amendments to many of its rules and regulations in hopes of further streamlining their events. Earlier today we got word of an important change to the 2012/2013 rulebook: the retraction of the roll cage or roll bar rule for 2008 and newer street vehicles running 9.99 to 11.49. That’s right, if you drive a 2008 and later factory equipped hardtop vehicle you no longer have to chop it up and add a cage. The amendment in the 2012/2013 NHRA rulebook

Every year the NHRA makes amendments to many of its rules and regulations in hopes of further streamlining their events. Earlier today we got word of an important change to the 2012/2013 rulebook: the retraction of the roll cage or roll bar rule for 2008 and newer street vehicles running 9.99 to 11.49. That’s right, if you drive a 2008 and later factory equipped hardtop vehicle you no longer have to chop it up and add a cage. The amendment in the 2012/2013 NHRA rulebook

See bold                                                                                                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^

IHRA rules are less clear.  They seem to want a bar at some points and a cage at others, and that is dependent on if the firewall or floor plan have been modified.

See bold                                                                                                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^

Factory equiped means street car, air bags, all factory safety stuff intack. Surely you do not think they mean a stock car and have a rule for 9.99 and slower?

I would not think so, but I am just going by what I have heard, which means nothing since I have not been to a track yet to test it.

Get you a rule book they sell them at borders book store and take it with you, might need it.

Additionally Requirements and specifications for Street Legal are the same as those for the Summit Racing Series with the following exception: Unaltered 2008 OEM model year and newer production cars running slower than 9.99 and 135 mph do not have to meet the requirements and specifications for the Summit Racing Series except for the following: Convertibles and T-tops must meet Summit Racing Series Roll Bar and Roll Cage requirements, All drivers must meet the Summit Racing Series Helmet and Protective Clothing requirements.”

NHRA DRAGS: STREET LEGAL STYLE PRESENTED BY AAA (Page xiv) (5th paragraph) Additionally rRequirements and specifications for Street Legal are the same as those for the Summit Racing Series with the following exception: Unaltered 2008 OEM model year and newer production cars running slower than 9.99 and 135 mph do not have to meet the requirements and specifications for the Summit Racing Series except for the following: Convertibles and T-tops must meet Summit Racing Series Roll Bar and Roll Cage requirements, All drivers must meet the Summit Racing Series Helmet and Protective Clothing requirements.”

Dude, I have the rule printed out and ready to show them.

NHRA DRAGS: STREET LEGAL STYLE PRESENTED BY AAA (Page xiv) (5th paragraph) Additionally rRequirements and specifications for Street Legal are the same as those for the Summit Racing Series with the following exception: Unaltered 2008 OEM model year and newer production cars running slower than 9.99 and 135 mph do not have to meet the requirements and specifications for the Summit Racing Series except for the following: Convertibles and T-tops must meet Summit Racing Series Roll Bar and Roll Cage requirements, All drivers must meet the Summit Racing Series Helmet and Protective Clothing requirements.”

Dude, I have the rule printed out and ready to show them.

lol and they still might not care. They tossed hustlin hoosier off the 1/8 mile track in louisville over his bolt in roll bar. Stan had to take all the manufacturer info with him next time for them to let him run there.

There is room for interpretation of the word unaltered. Could work for or against you.

Does it mean unaltered floor pan? Body? Interior? Engine? Entire car? Who knows?

There is room for interpretation of the word unaltered. Could work for or against you.

Does it mean unaltered floor pan? Body? Interior? Engine? Entire car? Who knows?

the whole ruling was to get more street cars on the track. People did not want to hack up their cars, so the new rule. I had a email conversation with the NHRA they said where these cars really do not have a frame seperate from the floor pan as long as the car is in street trim with all factory safety equipment intact that is what they were talking about. Not cars cut, tubbed, glass changed, body panels lightened, interior removed etc. All other rules that pertain to racing still apply like drive shaft loops, helmets, seat belts etc. My drag pak does not qualify even though it is a 2009, I do not have the side impact protection or other items any more that a factory car has.