Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

YLWJKT

Bolt In Roll Cage?

54 posts in this topic

the whole ruling was to get more street cars on the track. People did not want to hack up their cars, so the new rule. I had a email conversation with the NHRA they said where these cars really do not have a frame seperate from the floor pan as long as the car is in street trim with all factory safety equipment intact that is what they were talking about. Not cars cut, tubbed, glass changed, body panels lightened, interior removed etc. All other rules that pertain to racing still apply like drive shaft loops, helmets, seat belts etc. My drag pak does not qualify even though it is a 2009, I do not have the side impact protection or other items any more that a factory car has.

Maybe NHRA should send that E-mail to the tracks because the ones we go to on the east coast won't let anything run thats not factory without a bar.

John, I understand your statement and passion and it is well founded.. 

Some of the background for the 08 and newer vehicles is that the minimum required safety standards required by NHTSA and FMVSS actually make the cars as safe or safer up to a certain g-force of impact when compared to cars with roll bars.  Frontal impact, side impact, air bags, etc  Now, once you get to a certain point, and your car is the perfect example, nothing less than a full cage is going to provide protection.

RPM

any roll bar bolted or welded to thin sheet metal is useless.

so if your not going to do it right might as well bolt it in yourself and save some money. Every little bit helps when it's time to bury you.

This guy didn't take your advice.

images_zps8f5eea47.jpg

Phil,

Share a copy of the email letter from NHRA. It would be nice to have something to show the tracks around here since they interpret it different at every one.

I've read other guys saying unaltered was for the cars like the zr1, viper, gt500 ect in street tires and not modified. Those cars can put numbers in sub 11.50 essentially stock, whereas we add forced induction or heavy engine mods to get there.

I was hoping it would apply to our cars but NHRA stuck one word in to make it a grey area, because f interpretation. WTF is the NHRA considering unaltered! 9 months after they released the rule change, its still not clear.

There is room for interpretation of the word unaltered. Could work for or against you.

Does it mean unaltered floor pan? Body? Interior? Engine? Entire car? Who knows?

Unaltered is body modification not engine modification.

Phil,

Share a copy of the email letter from NHRA. It would be nice to have something to show the tracks around here since they interpret it different at every one.

I've read other guys saying unaltered was for the cars like the zr1, viper, gt500 ect in street tires and not modified. Those cars can put numbers in sub 11.50 essentially stock, whereas we add forced induction or heavy engine mods to get there.

I was hoping it would apply to our cars but NHRA stuck one word in to make it a grey area, because f interpretation. WTF is the NHRA considering unaltered! 9 months after they released the rule change, its still not clear.

I will look for it in my deleted emails, been dam near a year now. I just broke the 11.5 barrier with my stock block and I wanted to know too a year ago. It was less of a letter and more of a conversation where I asked questions and they replied back and forth. Yes those cars can put down a sub 11.5 but no where near a 10.0

the rules do not say unaltered body modification......they just say unaltered

I got the definition from the horses mouth. If you take your challenger to drop top customs and turn your car in a convertible that a body modification and you need to get a roll cage it your a 10 sec car. If you put a blower on your challenger and run 10 sec 1/4 you don't need a roll cage. The factory steel Frame is considered to be strong enough to hold your car up if you flip it in 2008 and newer. You can believe me or not. Call them up and here it yourself. This rule was put into effect do to the fact there are 10 sec stock Street cars right off the show room floor. Also with all the new safety designs the structure of the newsreader cars can hold a car up if it flips.

That's my next question, any recommendations on where to pick one up?

DJ Safety for all your saftey needs. They have the best quality stuff and are site supporters

All made in the USA

DJ Safety for all your saftey needs. They have the best quality stuff and are site supportersAll made in the USA

DJ safety. Ask for Big Ben. He has the gear and it's good as it gets.

My 6 point cost right at $1200 and it was done right with all attaching points plated and reinforced.  That did not include swingouts.  If mostly a race car, forget the swingouts, they are a PITA in my opinion..

That was a deal Guy, but I think you had the entire interior gutted out which is a big expense in and out, most of the shops around here are 2500-3000 for the cage and 1500- 2000 for installing, the good swing outs are 500.00- 600.00 alone.

Monty just had his custom six point done. It was $1500 and that included pulling and reinstalling the interior. Fit is so tight you can barely fit a business card between the bar and headliner.

I'm not a fan of the bolt in cages. For the same price, you can get it done right.

That was a deal Guy, but I think you had the entire interior gutted out which is a big expense in and out, most of the shops around here are 2500-3000 for the cage and 1500- 2000 for installing, the good swing outs are 500.00- 600.00 alone.

John, at the time the car was still street driven and had a full interior.  The cage was entirely fabricated on site and was an excellent job.  Only thing that was not done was the swingouts.