Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Speedy

Ok 392 Cam In 5.7 Or Not?

188 posts in this topic

I've spent a bit of time lately seriously looking in to the 392 cam for my car.  I have looked on 4 forums including this one and information is sporadic as are results.  I'm trying to figure out if this would be worth doing.  We've seen claims of 60RWHP from just slapping in this cam on a NA 5.7.  Sean showed 475RWHP with his Maggie at 6psi and the 392 cam.  However, Phil's car showed 470RWHP with just the Maggie at 6psi and a CAI.  The results seem mixed and of course there's the different dynos and all that to contend with.  Track results, as usual, are also all over the place with some claiming a 3/10 gain and 2mph with adding nothing more than the 6.4 cam to their 5.7.

My heads already have springs.  I need to call Arrington to see if my pushrods will work with the 6.4 of if I need a different size.  My biggest question is do those in the know thing it's worth the swap in my car.    My current cam is an older Arrington VVT regrind that might as well be stock based on the specs. 

If I don't need to mess with the pushrods the install would be pretty simple for my ride since I don't have to mess with the heads at all.  If I have to get in to pushrods I'll likely pass as at that point the return on the work may not be worth the effort.

Here is a dyno of my car in it's current configuration with the baby Arrington VVT regrind:

speedy_cf4_dyno.jpg

First the cam specs:

Comp 274 VVT Cam Specs (Comps big VVT cam that is $900 and a PITA to tune)

Duration @ .050" Intake: 226
Duration @ .050" Exhaust: 234
Valve Lift Intake: 0.619
Valve Lift Exhaust: 0.612
Lobe Sep. Angle: 116

392 6.4 VVT Cam Specs (~ $80 sometimes less and easy to tune)

215/221 @ .050"
.353"/.333" lobe lift
.574"/.541" valve lift
121 LSA
108 ICL

Stock Eagle 5.7 VVT Cam Specs 6 speed

188/205 @ .050"
243/267 @ .006"
.312"/.304" lobe lift
.500"/.486" valve lift
115 LSA

Stock Eagle 5.7 VVT Cam Specs Auto

186/208 @ .050"
499/493
115LSA

The parts list I found on this site is:

05037379BC - 6 speed (NON-MDS) CAM

5038419AB - Auto (MDS) CAM

53022243AF Sprocket

53022316AC Timing Chain

53022315AD Timing guide

53022317AC Sprocket

53022115AH Tensioner

6102430AA Bolt

6509174AA Bolt

Then you need to upgrade a couple of parts in the heads if they're stock.  (The only thing I may need are the pushrods)

Springs

Retainers

Locators

Pushrods of proper length

Here are some springs suggestions (thanks Sean)

Manley 221430-16 (Hemi Specific)
Manley 221431-16 (Hemi Part Number but a re-labeled Manley 221438-16 LS spring)
PSI1511 (LS spring) (these are what are in my Arrington Engines motor with comp retainers PSI1511ML)
PAC 1235 & 1535 (Hemi Specific)
PAC 1218 & 1518 (LS Spring)
Comp 918 (LS Spring)
Ferrea S2009 (Rebadged PAC 1235 Hemi Specific)
Ferrea S2001 (Rebadged PAC 1218 LS Spring)
Ferrea S2002 (Rebadged PAC 1518 LS Spring)

Replacing the timing set is questionable.  Some with autos may want to get the latest parts installed due to some reports of timing set failures.  I've not heard of any 6 speed failures.

6.4 CAM REPORT

48426d1364429357-6-4-cam-eagle-5-7-64-ca

Pushrods do not need to be changed. 6.4 and 5.7 are the same. I changed to forged rods, but the length is the same.

But, since you may be spinning it higher, forged may not be a bad idea.

That's good news.  I doubt mine are forged but I need to call them to see what's in it.  They didn't list that in my build sheets but if they are stock they've been no issue to 6800 RPM.  7200 would be better lol

Erik told me, below 7k stock are OK, above 7, go forged.

I have no need of them other than to say I have something forged in my engine. lol

Erik told me, below 7k stock are OK, above 7, go forged.

I have no need of them other than to say I have something forged in my engine. lol

Hey, me too!

I say give it a shot if you don't have to mess with the pushrods. You can always swap it back. Besides, it will give you endless pleasure with the anal retentive testing you will embark upon...

I say do it and put Forged Pushrods in... turn the Rev up to 7200 and let'er eat.

Your tune currently looks like it is as close to perfect as you could get, so obviously more Videos will need to be made going 140MPH during your datalogging to get your tune as dialed in with the 392 Cam. I am sure you are up for it though.

If I was to bet on HP gains I would say 60HP to 80HP, call me crazy. I see no reason with the amount of Boost you are running

Jay, I ran the 6.1 cam in my non-vvt 5.7. I used stock 6.1 push rods. But I didn't have a blower on my car either. I have a set of adjustable pushrods if you need to check the length.

a few hundred k rpm between needing them or not at the drag strip, what the hell it's all apart it won't break the bank, go forged, peace of mind, and shit then you've done all you can for your motor

Well, there are a couple of answers to the "why not" question.

1.  My tune is damn near perfect.  So good, in fact, I'm hesitant to mess with the car.  I am going to have a conversation with Mike about it and if he says he can get it this perfect with the 392 cam that will weigh heavily on my decision to move forward.

2.  Results have been mixed.  We've seen some folks actually lose power with this mod and track times are all over the place.  It would be nice to see consistent repeatable results.  Again, I'll ask Mike what he's personally seen on cars he's tuned.  If they've all picked up some power that'll help with the decision as well.

As for pushrods, Arrington is checking and going to call me and let me know what's in it.  I can order a set of forged ones and put them in no problem if needed.

I have Dyno scheduled next Wed. and AJ just got me dialed in pretty close on tune I put in last night. I will share my results with you next week after Dyno session. Since this last tune by AJ I am extremely pleased with how hard this thing pulls now. Not sure what he did but he definitely has discovered something different from previous tunes.

Good news and looking forward to the results.  I seem to remember Mike saying he could manipulate cam timing in the tune somehow and it made a huge difference in power delivery.  Maybe AJ played with some of that.

Yessir. I'm having an issue right now with the 3.2, but like J said, car put down 477/449 with the 3.4.

Hopefully I'll get this issue resolved quickly and get some numbers on the 3.2 pulley, and some time slips!!!