Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Goehner

Wheel Hop Help

55 posts in this topic

Not for me :)

Guy I know has an SRT 6 speed, been going to the track on F1's getting a shit ton of wheel hop.

I told him to sell it to save himself money and heartache, but he says it is fun to smash his head against a tree. lol

Anyway, I told him to buy slicks, that will help a bit.

He has read about the hop not kits, but also that some put them on and still have hop.

Anyone have suggestions for him?

A local Charlie, who was at the event we raced at Alan runs the hop not and said he can't switch the a 17" rim for radials/slicks because it wont clear the hop not kit....

The hop is caused by stick/slip.  If he just sticks the hop will go away.  If he's just getting his feet wet have him go with some DRs on Cobra wheels since the price of admission is cheap.  If he's already all in then slick/skinnies are the solution.  Let him borrow yours for one run and he'll be sold.

A local Charlie, who was at the event we raced at Alan runs the hop not and said he can't switch the a 17" rim for radials/slicks because it wont clear the hop not kit....

I talked to Charlie, that would suck about the wheels. I was under the impression he had more than a hop not kit?

The hop is caused by stick/slip. If he just sticks the hop will go away. If he's just getting his feet wet have him go with some DRs on Cobra wheels since the price of admission is cheap. If he's already all in then slick/skinnies are the solution. Let him borrow yours for one run and he'll be sold.

I have been there done that on my 09, I would go immediately to slicks, I will let him borrow mine for a shot.

Hop Not works for me on the street. But with slicks, the horizontal shocks may rub the inner wall. Although I think they've got an adapted mount for the shocks if you want to run extra wide tires. I've gone as big as 285 Nittos on 20s with the standard kit no problem.

The hop is not caused by stick/slip, stick/slip is wheel hop that just describes it. Hop is caused by the rear suspension loading and unloading making the rear end lite. The hop not kit just makes the rear suspension stiff so it hops less, it is not a cure. Slicks will help but you have to run the air pressure lower than optimal to get traction with those too. The right shocks and weight transfer is the cure, force the rear of the car to squat and it will get traction and you can use more psi in the slicks which will help mph on the other end. But a hard street tire will hop no matter what, the more sidewall the better on street tires too.

We had in depth discussions with the SRT Engineers (Valley and I) a couple years back.  They specifically referenced stick/slip as the cause and it does make sense.  I used to get it occasionally on my street tires, now I just blow right through it.  Mine hasn't hopped on street tires since the blower.  I got it a couple times on DRs but not very often.  I've never gotten any at all with the slicks. 

I guess it's a which came first the chicken or the egg scenario on stick/slip or suspension issue lol

lol - yeah they started off trying to deny a problem existed.  Valley showed them his video and bam!  They actually met with him in person.  They eventually said they could solve it but at the expense of more NVH than the average driver would tolerate.

Charlie has:

Hopnot Kit

Whiteline Cradle Bushings

Whiteline Rear Sway Bar

Our Tension Arms

I know he tried a few different things with the Hopnot (different shocks) but it never went completely away. He then added the cradle bushings and the rear sway bar and it helped but still was not 100% gone. He added our tension arms and a combination of all parts together - he has said the hop is gone. 

The Hop or the Hop not is gone???? :)

I'm running 295's on stockers with the wide tire Hop Not. 

Different tires and a blower.  Mostly no hop but every once in a while doing a 30 mph burnout I get some hop.

Captalbator (6spd SRT8) has the Speedlogix rear control arms plus the Hop Not (donated to him by Chuck! :rolleyes:) and runs with slicks. I believe that his rear hop is all gone (I may be wrong). I hope he chimes in. 

Stevo

15"slicks and a 9" with a wave trac will eliminat all wheel hop

I went with a 3.6 L  300 8 speed auto and I can floor it without spilling my coffee!  lol

Get zero wheel hop running Hoosiers drag slicks at any psi. Got some when I ran DR's. I am convinced the compliant sidewall on a slick eliminates wheel hop. Harder sidewall with some traction (ie DR's = wheel hop). At least on a 6 speed car and I had a stock suspension set up when I ran my car this past spring.

I get zero wheel hop on my Pirelli's on the street but I guess it is because they never hook.

The hop is not caused by stick/slip, stick/slip is wheel hop that just describes it. Hop is caused by the rear suspension loading and unloading making the rear end lite. The hop not kit just makes the rear suspension stiff so it hops less, it is not a cure. Slicks will help but you have to run the air pressure lower than optimal to get traction with those too. The right shocks and weight transfer is the cure, force the rear of the car to squat and it will get traction and you can use more psi in the slicks which will help mph on the other end. But a hard street tire will hop no matter what, the more sidewall the better on street tires too.

Isn't it the stick/slip that causes the suspension to load then unload??  Just curious. As long as there is tire spin with IRS, wheel hop will surley follow.  The people that don't experience hop usually are way above stock power and just blow the tires away. Of course this is JMO.

Isn't it the stick/slip that causes the suspension to load then unload??  Just curious. As long as there is tire spin with IRS, wheel hop will surley follow.  The people that don't experience hop usually are way above stock power and just blow the tires away. Of course this is JMO.

no when you drop the hammer the car will squat some, then the stock suspension recovers and hop follows. You need suspension that does not recover. It has nothing to do with IRS either solid axle cars been doing it for years too, axle wind up made the rears lift.