Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Speedy

Clickity Klak The Hemi Tick Gets Loud

121 posts in this topic

After one of my passes at the track a couple weeks ago I noticed the Hemi tick was a bit louder than normal.  Phil and Greg noticed it too as I pulled in to the pits.  At first I thought it was an exhaust leak, but after inspecting the exhaust I don't think so.  I used a mechanic's stethoscope to check the injectors, etc and when I place it on the passenger side head between cylinders 4 and 6 I can hear a distinct "ping" sound making me think lifter.  The lifters are still stock BTW.

I'll pull the plugs probably tomorrow to have a look and if they're good I'll pull the valve cover to have a look at the springs.  If that's all good I'm thinking it's gotta be a lifter which is what my gut tells me it is. 

The sound ONLY occurs when the engine is WARM.  On cold start up NO noise at all which is interesting. 

So, figured I'd throw this out here for discussion since this is one of the more technical forums.  I'll post up tomorrow when I've had a look at the plugs and springs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 12/15/2013

Well, I FINALLY got time to pull the plugs tonight.  Something seems funky with CYL 6, which is also where I hear the sound with the mechanic's stethoscope.  All the plugs looked perfect except for these from CYL 6 which were green?? 

I'll pull the valve cover when I get time.  My suspicion is that the lifter has crapped out and the intake valve isn't opening or isn't opening all the way and this cylinder isn't getting proper fueling, thus the green color.

cyl6_1.jpg

cyl6_2.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 12/22/2013

Well, I got motivated and went and pulled the passenger side valve cover to have a look at things.  What a PITA pulling that thing is.  The wiring harness and heater hoses and what not back there make you really have to fight with the dang thing to get it out and I tore the valve cover gasket on the back corner getting it out.  I'll swing by the dealer tomorrow and get a new gasket and try to find an easier way to put it back in.

The springs all looked fine.  The intake rocker on CYL 4 is loose as hell and the push rod has about 1-2mm of play in it between the lifter and rocker.  I can literally spin the push rod freely so it's really loose.  Diagnosis, collapsed lifter just as I suspected.  Oddly, it wasn't in CYL 6 where the green plugs were so I don't know what's up with that.  The plugs in CYL 4 look fine but that is right in the area I hear the loud ticking AND I find this pushrod/rocker much more loose than all the others.

I'm gonna try not to have to pull the blower and head with a long shot.  I'm gonna pull the rocker and spray some Chemtool or similar product down the push rod hole as well as through the pushrod itself, and then spray some through the push rod with it sitting on the lifter in an attempt to free it up.  We'll see how it goes, but at least I know what the problem is and it's not gonna hurt the car to drive it around, it's just annoying.  If these efforts don't solve the problem, I'll set some time aside after the New Year to pull the head and replace all the lifters on the passenger side.

vc_removed_2.jpg

vc_removed_1.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 12/27/2013

Sometimes you get lucky and a simple fix works.  I couldn't find Chemtool in an aerosol, so I used Seafoam and cleaned all the push rods on the passenger side as well as the rockers and lifters.  I just sprayed them down real well with the Seafoam and let them soak for a half hour or so, then re-assembled.  Fired the car up cold it was more quiet than it had ever been, but once warm the tick came back.  I decided to just take the car for a drive anyway and see if letting the Seafoam treated oil circulate through the engine a bit would help.  After 20 or so miles the noise disappeared.  I've since driven the car a couple of times and the tick has not returned so I believe this licked the problem.  One of two things happened, either the suspect lifter pumped back up on it's own, or the Seafoam cleared whatever had it blocked.  Either way I'm glad this cheap and easy fix worked and I didn't have to pull the blower and head.

If you have any of the Hemi tick, you may try putting 1/2 - 3/4 can of Seafoam (10oz or so) in the crank case and driving the car 100 miles before your next oil change.  It just may help.  My engine has never been as quiet at idle as it is now.

speedy

what filter are you using?   i found that the SRT dodge filte was the only filter that helped with the TICK.

i realize you havn't had this in the past.. just thought i would throw that out there.

chris

just for grins you might try the srt oil filter sometime.

i used to use a mobil 1 filter.. purolator, and a wix..  for what ever reason after i switched to the srt filter my TICK went away even on cold start up..  supposedly has a better spring system that doesn't allow as much oil drain back.. from what i hear they are made by wix but under different guidelines.   can be bought from steve whites pretty cheap

chris 

Really strange that it is louder when warm. Maybe when it is cold the higher oil viscosity is helping to keep the lifter pumped up but when the oil gets warm / hot the lifter bleeds down. Be interested in what you find out.

He said it's louder when the engine is warm.  No tick when cold.  

That's one of the main reasons I liked living in Michigan over Louisville, the tics weren't around when it was cold up there either.  Can't go into the woods without having them swarm you around here...

I thought everyone was using stock lifters. I don't recall hearing anyone changing them even on big builds. I think they are pretty inexpensive to replace. 

I'm running the SRT filters.  I couldn't get them locally but my dealer finally ordered them for me.  He won't stock them?

I find it odd and maybe a bit suspect that the oil filter would be the culprit in this case.

I thought everyone was using stock lifters. I don't recall hearing anyone changing them even on big builds. I think they are pretty inexpensive to replace. 

Yep, and I've not heard of anyone having lifter issues Chuck.  They are inexpensive but a PITA to get to as the heads have to come off.  I'm hoping ones just stuck and a little massaging will free it up without having to get too deep in to the motor.  I have some errands to run this morning and will do some preliminary checking on the car this afternoon.