Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

JS1977

392/6.4 Intake Manifold On A 5.7

61 posts in this topic

So I searched this site and couldn't find any info about this (I'm fucking retarded so I might have missed it), but I know a few members on here have either made the switch or helped someone out in completing the project.  I just wanted to list the parts needed (I was told) for anyone else thinking about doing this project.

The Part Numbers 
Intake manifold P/N (includes all gasket, O-rings, mounting bolts): 68090674AA
Pigtail connector: 1-68064996AA
Clean Air Duct: 05038430AD or your choice of 392 CAI
MSD Box: P/N 8969
Cirkit Boss: 70213
3M Acetate Cloth Tape: 80610918221 11-1/4"X72YDS (I suggest buying two rolls)
Mouser Electronics Inc. P/N 538-19420-0009

If anyone has completed this project or helped out, please chime in.  I know 345_CHLNGR has help someone on this and has been a big help with gathering all the right parts.  I'll try and post my progress as I start this project and look forward to any knowledge to help this go as smooth as possible.

UPDATE

Be sure and use the 5.7 injectors/ fuel rail unless you plan to have your car retuned/tune to adjust for the 392 injectors.

When extending the IAT harness, you can use the two purple wires that come with the pigtail connector (1-68064996AA) as wires to extend your IAT harness if you have a 2011+ since they don't make a IAT extension harness for 2011+ yet (I couldn't find one). 2008-10 might want to use them as well since the IAT extension harness is only 9inches and I believe it would come up just a little short. Or you could just buy two IAT extension harness I guess and connect them together to have the needed length.    

Everybody loves visual aids so...

392 INTAKE MANIFOLD WITH FUEL RAILS AND INJECTORS

IMG_2043_zps83b4a761.jpg

Mopar CAI for 6.4

IMG_2040_zpsac0cd236.jpg

MSD Window Switch

IMG_2046_zps75707a12.jpg

Cirkit Boss

36548fd5-84c8-483f-ac36-99c250479b4a_zps

Mopar pigtail connector

IMG_2034_zps05819fc3.jpg

Mouser pin

9c453b6c-3985-494f-9acb-616316e5f274_zps

Silly question but why not just have the runner turned on in your 5.7 Gpec??

Thanks

AJ

Are you asking so as to allow the 6.4 manifold to operate through the pcm?  

What are the expected gains from this?

From what I've read, it should improve power through the RPM where the 5.7 has dead spots, this is not for peak performance gains.

Thanks

AJ

This would be cool, but one advantage IMO in doing it this way is the ability to adjust runners to come in at differnt RPM points without relying on a tuner to do it for you. Although letting PCM contol them would be cool on a 5.7L

Thanks

AJ

I would wonder if it would be as easy as plug and play once you "turned on" the runner option (if there is one on the 5.7 challenger) or would you need to buy a certain wiring harnesses to allow this to work.  I have not done any research on this direction so I can't really answer this.  

Last night I connected all the wiring.  Connected the MDS, Cirkit Boss, and pigtail connector.  I'll have pics of it wrapped when I get home tomorrow.

IMG_2116_zpsedb689eb.jpg

Everything connected minus the tape 

d2c15fc8-6e27-4b3a-b6f0-64610b020cd3_zps

MSD

d92813b2-7a3c-4bfb-b873-6f7e959cc87b_zps

Pigtail connector

81e4d31d-4f11-4449-aa47-b87b4c3f45c2_zps

MSD/Pigtail connector connections

74164c4a-1879-43d5-99f2-0cadfe97dd7a_zps

Connected the pigtail GROUND to MSD GROUND

IMG_2119_zps296bb9d3.jpg

Connections to the Cirkit Boss

0f703676-49c7-4c12-ab67-015e3ab677f9_zps

Here's the wiring all wrapped up to protect it and to blend in with the factory wiring. 

IMG_2141_zpse1c4d8f8.jpg

The injector wire I piggy backed the (white wire) MSD to.

IMG_2161_zps8f56cded.jpg

Where I connected the Cirkit Boss

IMG_2179_zps751b8c7d.jpg

Put the 392 intake manifold on

IMG_2162_zps0222e597.jpg

Have the MSD tucked away safely but able to reach if adjustments are needed (sorry it blurry) 

IMG_2180_zps98c0071c.jpg

Fitted the 6.4 mopar CAI in

IMG_2166_zps50d9773f.jpg

re-installed the coolant tank as I had to remove the 2010 tank (T/A hood) for now until I can modify the CAI.  and installed the half covers.  All I'm waiting for now is the IAT wire extension I ordered from the dealer.

45519a09-f395-408d-8b9c-f7afe85e3795_zps

Very nice job Jimmy. Since you have the 392 Cam already the active runner in the 392 intake has shown to give extra TQ in the lower RPM range on NA vehicles. Which on a daily driven street car it just makes it that much more fun. Good job and give us your feedback when complete.

Very nice job Jimmy. Since you have the 392 Cam already the active runner in the 392 intake has shown to give extra TQ in the lower RPM range on NA vehicles. Which on a daily driven street car it just makes it that much more fun. Good job and give us your feedback when complete.

Thanks to you and Leigh, I was able to do this project with out any issues. 

Hey! That was off my car. I'd recognize that packaging anywhere. There's a lot of good mojo in that intake! :)

Yeah, pretty awesome packaging, I'll probably reuse it when I sell my 5.7 intake.  Thanks again for such a great deal.

Yeah, pretty awesome packaging, I'll probably reuse it when I sell my 5.7 intake.  Thanks again for such a great deal.

Glad it went to a good home

tumblr_m930juTVC31qdku5lo1_500.gif

Well picked up the IAT extension harness and it's not the right one (2008-10 model) so I'm just going to extend the IAT harness myself.

So if you own a 2011+,  DO NOT buy IAT Extension Harness #05037926AA A as it is for 2008-10 models, it will not work on the new IAT sensor.

Ok, so I finally got the MSD window switch setup correctly which I will explain where it needs to be set at.  I was also able to drive the car and get a feel for it.  

MSD window switch needs to be set as so.

RPM "ON" set at 46 (4600)

RPM "OFF" set at 80 (8000)

Cylinder set at 1 (V8 with coil packs) 

NO I don't have a dyno or "ran it down the track", this is just the impression I got while driving it.  

I can definitely feel more power early on in the RPM band, I don't feel like I have to wait until 4-5k before power kicks in.  There are no engine lights, no weird noises, no issues what so ever.  I plan on getting it dyno'd at the same place I did when I had the cam installed just so I can get an idea of the increase of power early in the RPM band.  The only issue is I had it dyno'd in June and right now it's February and cold as balls so I'm going to wait.  I want it to be as close to the same temps as possible when getting this next dyno.  I don't want the cooler temps being the "reason" I have a better RPM band.

If you have any questions about this install don't hesitate to ask.  I'll try and answer them the best I can.  

Nice... Sounds like same results from what I have seen.

Yeah, I'm really pleased with the results.  Thanks again for all the help.  I feel like I owe you and leigh a six pack or something.

cool.  i wish i would have caught this earlier, as i have 9" and 18" IAT extensions in stock for the VVT grey colored plugs.   you would not have been delayed by the wrong part from the dealer.   ;)

cool.  i wish i would have caught this earlier, as i have 9" and 18" IAT extensions in stock for the VVT grey colored plugs.   you would not have been delayed by the wrong part from the dealer.   ;)

Still good to know incase someone else does this same project, I can point them in your direction