Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

ChargerRob

Strip Install Tips

I bought a strip kit for my Charger and want to get any tips and tricks on installation. Part of me wants to pay some one to do the install but another part of my wants to do it myself. Any info will help.

well, I would wait till it is atleast 70 degrees or hotter to put them on or you will be screwed.  cold weather is not good for applying vinyl,   I installed mine last summer, only took me about an hour and a half as I do vinyl signs and banners.

make sure you wash and clean the area with alchohol wipe it down several times.  get you a small spray bottle witha water/ dish soap mix,  only takes a few drops to change the consistancy of the water to make it soapy, you will spray down the area that you will be applying it to and also the back side of the stripe, get you a felt squeegee, make for better application as sometiomes using a plastic one will scratch the stripe and paint.if you are coming to Challengerfest, well, I will be there, but it will cost ya to install. ;)

you can go to thsi link to see my stripe project  http://s43.photobucket.com/user/D_Gibson/library/2009%20Intimidator%20RT/STRIPES?sort=3&page=1

cash only. B)

Apply your stripes with the wet method. I tried the dry method and it was a total mess. Apply the way that Intimidator described with a soap and water solution and in 70+ degree weather as this helps with adhesion. The important thing that I learned is that you cant squeegee enough. It wont hurt to make an extra couple passes across the vinyl to make sure there are no bubbles before peeling off the paper on top. There should be no liquid coming out from the sides of the vinyl. If you do get small air bubbles, take a safety pin and poke a small hole and push the air out with the squeegee from all sides. Do this in hot sun and the holes will dissipate after about a day.

The wet method allows you to take your time and line the vinyl up before it actually sticks. If you squeegee and don't like the positioning you can still move it before it dries. My first time, I did it with the dry method and failed miserably. The second time I did it with the wet method and it was honestly flawless, and I have no experience at all with vinyl.

That's my 2 cents...

I've done some of the smaller graphics on my cars. I agree with the others on the wet method. My problem is I'm too stumpy to do a decent job. I used a local Tint and Trim shop to install my rally stripes. They have a large indoor facility and can do the work year round...... B)

13839626554_c5db2fcbba_c.jpgRoad trip southern NM6 by vichris08, on Flickr

13839077063_7ef6b06616.jpgRoad trip southern NM4 by vichris08, on Flickr

Wet or dry I have laid them both ways, if wet way work as many bubbles out while the cover paper is on, as David said vinyl scratches VERY easily, let stand for quite a bit before removing the cover paper, and always clean any area well with Alcohol first. Also after install it needs at least 75 hours in the sunlight to bond BEFORE you wash it again, even though you may notice a bit of the cover papers adhesive left on the surface, it will wash off after it has bonded just give it time, and any bubbles pin-prick and just leave alone, the heat/sun will expand/contract out the air on its own. Added; Dropping Vinyl is a lot like PDR, an experienced person makes it look EASY, but they have learned a LOT of tricks unless you are ready to learn by mistakes I would consider taking to an experienced installer, your call.

Dropping Vinyl is a lot like PDR, an experienced person makes it look EASY, but they have learned a LOT of tricks unless you are ready to learn by mistakes I would consider taking to an experienced installer, your call.

+1......and its not that expensive to have done. Plus if they fuck up, they gotta fix it......... B)