Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JDW RT 09

'03-'04 5.7 Hemi Ram Has Weak Valve Springs?

So a bud of mine that has a '04 Ram was telling me that there seems to be an issue with "many" 03-04 RAMs having weak valve springs which break and then drop the valve in the cylinder, basically grenading the engine. I had never heard this and sure enough after checking out some threads on dodgeforums, it seems to have some merit. Some have got lucky and it didn't drop the valve but others was total loss. The failure seems random regarding mileage. I am at 116k on my 03 so this kind of worried me.

The fix seems to be to replace the springs with 6.1 valve springs.

Anyone else hear of this issue?

The early spring did not have the spring cage like the new ones. The cage is actually a damper and was a direct result of the broken springs on the early motors.

Well, I guess that settles it. I have another project.

Here's another question:

When I did a spring swap on my eagle heads on my Challenger last year, I still have the 5.7 springs I took off. Will those work? They do have the cage on them.

'09 5.7 eagle valve springs to go on a '03 5.7 ram engine?

no they won't. Just get 16 6.1 exhaust springs and be done with it.

Ok Erik.  I guess it doesn't matter what year or vehicle model to ask for does it?

What would I ask for?

hate to hear about this, (sure runs good even at 91k mi) may have to move sooner to a 6.1 based stroker,  performance heads, long tubes, cam, etc, just not sure what can used used off of the 04 5.7L to a 6.1L based motor.  Likely get some A5 upgrades at the same time, already got a 3:92 LS rear in it.  Really like the 04 body style conv cab/bed, black and I ordered it the way I wanted it in 04.  Many questions

hate to hear about this, (sure runs good even at 91k mi) may have to move sooner to a 6.1 based stroker,  performance heads, long tubes, cam, etc, just not sure what can used used off of the 04 5.7L to a 6.1L based motor.  Likely get some A5 upgrades at the same time, already got a 3:92 LS rear in it.  Really like the 04 body style conv cab/bed, black and I ordered it the way I wanted it in 04.  Many questions

I know. I have never had a lick of trouble worth mentioning and I got 115k on my '03 and now I am babying it until I can swap the springs.