Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vichammer

6.4 Vvt To 448 Stroker

28 posts in this topic

I ordered on of these from Arrington the other day and it will be installed at their shop along with long tubes and HF cats. The car is a 2011 SRT8 392 M6 with 4k miles that managed a best of 12.58@112 with street tires,CAI, cat back and B&G tune.  I wanted to stay nautually aspirated hence going with the 448 VVT hemi.  I have been through the build sheet on this project and while they will reuse my larger aftermaket TB, and upgrade the injectors to 65 lb units, it looks that I will end up with the same factory fuel pump.  Can anyone twell me if that will work ok, or should I be upgrading to a better fuel pump setup.  Any recommendations would certainly be a huge help, thanks.

Very cool build.  It would be cool to try NA at some point.  Low mileage.  What heads are you putting on?  I agree ask AJ on the fuel pump.

Shoot AJ a pm and if he says the 392 pump is enough for the NA build I would save the money.

^^^ This

If Arrington is spec'ing the engine, then go with their recommendation.  They are not going to build an engine just to have it grenade due to lack of fuel.

Very cool build.  It would be cool to try NA at some point.  Low mileage.  What heads are you putting on?  I agree ask AJ on the fuel pump.

Thanks for the advice from all, I'll see what AJ says.  The motor will have CNC ported Apache heads.

I have traded a few messages with AJ and he is going to give me a call, he is a class act.  But apparently going with a high cubic inch 448 stroker will yield better better results by getting rid of the stock composite manifold and upgrading to an aluminum 6.1 type that is custom ported and matched to the ported apache heads, and is set up for the Arrington 90mm TB.  I already have a 85mm Fastman unit which I was happy with the pretty much stock 392, but there are several TB efficiency calculators online that do shoe a 90mm TB will benefit me. Especially with a matched ported intake.  The only issue, i that I have to now get a different CAI, as this setup is not compatible with the 6.4 instake tube.  But my car is in transit and will be there in a few days, so I want to get it right the first time.

I went with the API Stage II 6.1 intake on my 426 stroker. No gain in low range or peak power but it did gain big thru the mid range. The peak power may be suffering due the TB being an OEM 80mm that has been opened on each end to 87mm. Soon as Arrington comes out with a 90mm for the 2013+ cars mine will be back to AJ for a re-tune. As far as a CAI just buy one that fits the 6.1 SRT cars. make sure you get a 90mm coupler.

I went with Legmaker's True CAI. Bolted right up.

The red lines are with the active 6.4 intake. Black lines are with the 6.1 intake. Also note that I got these gains when the dyno room's temperature was about 40* warmer than when the 6.4 intake dyno was done. Gains would have probably been around 50% more if the two dynos had been done on the same day.

DYNOFEBMAYCOMPARE001_zps3c0e6b9e.jpg

Any updates on this build? Curious, would love to see dyno sheet of a head/header/cam 448ci made from a VVT 392.

Yes, API got the motor installed yesterday and is hoping to dyno today.  I ended up going to the Stage 1 6.1 intake and a 90mm TB and ditching the composite intake. I will share results as soon as I have them.

I'll post the video up here, Mr. TK, once its finished uploading. We just finished getting her all nice and clean for a few centerfold shots.   ;)

Thank you sir!