Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ramryder77

Does Boring A Vvt 5.7 .30 Over Have Any Real Benefits

Hello I have a 11 Ram with the 5.7. I am planning on buying a spare motor next week and wanted to do some work to it while on the engine stand. First I wanted to bore the block .30 over. Would this add enough torque to make it worth my wild? Secondly I wanted to add larger valves to the stock heads and do some lite port work on the  exhaust port and add a custom cam. Would this combination add enough power to justify me spending my money or should I just look at buying a stroker short block? I do race the truck but im not out to run in the 12's or anything just a mid 13 and have some fun on the street. I may add some spray but nothing higher than a 150 shot. Oh and last question what would the new displacement of the motor be? Thanks for any help

a cam swap, or poweradder would be a good project and if you wanted more you can always upgrade later. as far as building your own engine it is very possible as long as the block is machined properly, you obtain the proper sized bearings (x, std, 1, etc). there is alot you have to pay attention too during assembly and its easy to get confused, intimitadated or lost along the way so if you do decide to go down the DIY route, i would highley recommend obtaining a few engine build sheets to help keep you on track with your build. the book, How to build big inch LS motors, is a good read to help familerize yourself with important steps and things to consider. yes i know its a chevy, but our motors are similar (cept valvetrain). if you are curious as to what camshaft you should get your best bet is to call a vendor and inquire about what cam, valvesprings, etc you should get/what you would need.

good luck on your project!