Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

HemiOrangeRT

New Build Starting Soon And Need Advice...

105 posts in this topic

Thanks to Andy's generosity of donating another engine again this year....For once I got lucky and won the PWR short-block at CF5. Thanks also goes out to the 2 other members that did not show up to the banquet (I guess liquor does work wonders...JK). After speaking with Andy several times in April and we went over a lot of info and I went with a 370 Stroker with Scat crank and forged bottom end. I also had Andy to reserve me a set of 6.1 Mean Street Heads to help maximize the airflow. Also bought Alan's 392 cam for the build since Andy said it is a good cam for boost. 

Once the engine gets built I am trying to decide if I want to put the engine in and eventually add a SC or if I should keep the engine crated until I can do it all at once. It maybe about 6 months or so before I can get a SC. I had an accident about 2 years ago that nearly killed me and I am just now getting all the medical bills paid off. If I didn't win the short-block this would not be happening for me at this time. 

If it were you what would you do on the SC situation? Also what other hidden cost besides fluids, gaskets and labor for the install? Also will look at the clutch close when it's removed and that can easily add another $1400 if it's worn down. Also once the SC is added I may need to upgrade the fuel system.... Dang this may get expensive fast but I would rather delay the install vs. not doing it right from the beginning. 

Thanks,

Ray 

Fuel system isn't that expensive.  Get one of the new Arrington setups.  They're about $500 and good for 700HP.

Your stock clutch is likely just fine.  I raced on mine for 4 years and did about 20K miles on the street and only replaced it because Mani gave me a McLeod RXT at CF4.

I know you already got axles so you're good to go there.

Sounds like you have everything else covered.  You will need a tune so set some money aside for that.  Pick up some cheap Cobra R wheels and M&H Drs, or find someone selling this setup and you'll be set for a while at the track.

If you're going to supercharge, and I would, I'd do it all at once.  If you put the motor in now, I'm not sure how well it would run on the stock tune, so you'll end up paying for tuning twice.

Fuel system isn't that expensive.  Get one of the new Arrington setups.  They're about $500 and good for 700HP.

Your stock clutch is likely just fine.  I raced on mine for 4 years and did about 20K miles on the street and only replaced it because Mani gave me a McLeod RXT at CF4.

I know you already got axles so you're good to go there.

Sounds like you have everything else covered.  You will need a tune so set some money aside for that.  Pick up some cheap Cobra R wheels and M&H Drs, or find someone selling this setup and you'll be set for a while at the track.

If you're going to supercharge, and I would, I'd do it all at once.  If you put the motor in now, I'm not sure how well it would run on the stock tune, so you'll end up paying for tuning twice.

Thanks J... That is kinda the lines I was thinking on. Once I am ready I am planning on Joe doing the install and Mike tuning it remotely. I know the tune will run approx. $500 plus the dyno rental. 

determine what your goal is and what the end product/set up will be.  once that is done, put together a accurate list of parts you will need for the final build and then slowly put together your parts in order to install and tune all at one time.  it tends to get more expensive when you "piece meal" things......

All good advice.  I'd plan this as a winter project and do it all over the slow season.

Depending on the amount of boost, the stock clutch and driveshaft should live for a while.  I'd go with slicks over drag radials though.

I can sell you my fuel system setup, stock fuel pump with wal 255 piggy back, return lines and 80lb injectors next month for $500 + shipping goof for 750 rwhp

All good advice.  I'd plan this as a winter project and do it all over the slow season.

Depending on the amount of boost, the stock clutch and driveshaft should live for a while.  I'd go with slicks over drag radials though.

Thanks toofart. As you and J haven mentioned the clutch should do for now. It currently feels fine at this time and has about 12500 miles on it. Hopefully it will still be fine when I am ready to install the engine. If it is I may just upgrade the brake fluid since it's shared with the clutch and that may help with the heat some. 

I can sell you my fuel system setup, stock fuel pump with wal 255 piggy back, return lines and 80lb injectors next month for $500 + shipping goof for 750 rwhp

Thanks I will keep that in mind. 

put the engine in now and drive it, get some miles on it before you kill it with a blower. Get rid of the stick shift.

trade that car in and get a auto.

put the engine in now and drive it, get some miles on it before you kill it with a blower. Get rid of the stick shift.

trade that car in and get a auto.

lol... I like my stick shift vs. a computer shifting for me. It makes me feel like I earned my time slip... :P

Found out from Andy that he has 3 motors ahead of mine. I am not sure what that means time wise but I can't wait to get it...  <3

One of them is definitely a 440 :)

Actually... I think two of them are 440's :) :)