Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

CenTxRT

'70 Duster 5.7 Hemi Stroker Going To The Track......

36 posts in this topic

While not completely finished, my 1970 Duster drag car will be going to the local track Friday June 13th. While I don't plan on getting any full throttle 1/4 mile passes with it, if I get the Cal-tracs adjusted and all is going well I might get a couple of 1/8 mile passes with it. This has been along time coming and I'm very much looking forward to this. It also happens to be Mopar shoutout night so I hope to see many of my Mopar friends out there.

Congrats on getting this up and running. The CalTracs made a huge difference in my 60's once I got them dialed in. I assume your running the front and rear Caltrac shocks as well?

Congrats on getting this up and running. The CalTracs made a huge difference in my 60's once I got them dialed in. I assume your running the front and rear Caltrac shocks as well?

Thanks, Mike. Not Caltrac shocks but they are drag shocks front and rear.

Bob

Nice, looking forward to finding out what kind of times the Duster runs.  B)

if I do some full throttle 1/8 mile runs, any thing in the 6's and I'll be happy for now....

2nd test n tune went much better.

Not overheating, seems to hook well and go straight down the track.

Still running a little rough, though, will have to experiment with different jets and timing.

Should be able to get to 10.0 without too much trouble.....

In the video, they back me up because they think I'm leaking water, then they realize I'm not....

Notice I hit the rev limiter before shifting into 2nd gear.  Not used to getting through 1st this quickly and it keeps taking me by suprise!

Just a bit more tweaking and that sucker is in the 9s.

Whats causing the sputtering problem Bob?  Have you worked through that yet?

James;

I pulled some plugs and it actually looks a little lean.  Lean would explain it running slightly hot too.  Could be bowls are running out, might need to adjust that, also try different jet size.

Will also experiment with timing next Friday.

James:  It's things like jetting and fuel level in the bowls.  Got those fixed and it hasn't sputtered the last two trips to the track.

Used to die after the burnout too.  Also solved.

UPDATE: 3rd trip to the track:  lots better!  Car running good, most problems now are user error.

Need to work on reaction time and not letting the G forces move my right arm on the shifter.  Twice Friday night I accidentally shifted into 2nd as soon as I launched because of G forces, so now I know to watch for that.

Need to be ready to shift into 2nd, it happens REAL fast!

60' is now a little under 1.5 (1.4 is the goal)

1/8 mile is now 6.5 to 6.6 (goal was 6.6)

Nothing but 1/8 mile passes this time so i could get stopped afterward.

I hammer it for the 1/8th mile, then cruise to the 1/4 mile blocks.  Still doing high 10's/low 11's doing that!

Disc brakes going in next week.....then back to 1/4 mile test n tune.

Damn, this is fun!  Lots of people wanting to know about the car/motor combination.

Here is a typical pass from Friday night:

(notice how little track is left after the 1/4 mile blocks)

Cars sounds really stout, definitely got a high 9 in it.

It was 25 yrs ago the last time I went to Little River Drag strip, kewl ole school track.

Cars sounds really stout, definitely got a high 9 in it.

It was 25 yrs ago the last time I went to Little River Drag strip, kewl ole school track.

You should come out.  lots of nice people out there on Friday nights.

You should come out.  lots of nice people out there on Friday nights.

When are you going out there again?  Very interested in seeing this in person...