Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Hemituner

On The Dyno, A Study Of The Effect Of Boost On The 6.4 Intake

88 posts in this topic

Hmmmm.... I told someone about potential bank to bank issues with the 6.4 intake and they didn't believe me....

J

lol we both seem to run into that often ;)

A.J.

Had a good day. In the end we ended up with a 1-2% variance consistently. Amazing how the engine immediately became  tolerant of 4 degrees more timing. Good news is we can actually calibrate for it. Having a good time on this project. We are finishing up a VVT cam swap on a Charger tomorrow we will see how it looks Saturday.

Thanks

AJ

975345F1-A570-4898-AF7E-402F1234EDFE_zps

What about per cyclinder? or is that just overkill? or can we even tune per cyclinder?

Yes Per cylinder is possible

Very interesting.. good find Aj and crew..

Thanks, Its good stuff for sure. Matt, Dave, And myself are really focused on identifying things like this and creating solutions. The Gpec system is the future, no hiding from it.

I installed a 6.1 intake on my 6.4 based 426 about 3 weeks ago. AJ tuned on API's dyno. HP and TQ increased 10-30 points thru the mid range compared to the active intake. Peak RPM power was the same but we believe it may be limited by the ported OEM TB. AJ is going to retune with a 90mm TB when they come available.

Engine seems to be more responsive and smoother since inatalling the 6.1.....The main reason for me going to the 6.1 was at AJ's advice and he had told me a couple months ago that he was seeing an AFR issue with the FI active intakes.

What can we say, Indeed it has been a blessing that you continue to let us continue development on your package. It is as close to a fully map-able 6.1 cal as we have yet. As much as I would love to take all the credit Matt has really been my Eyes and Ears when not at API and he really handles that dyno like a pro. All of us really enjoy the development aspect. I must admit I am spoiled as well having good friends to collaborate with. This community truly has a group of individuals with ALOT of specialized experience.

Im not even aware of individual bank adjustments but AJ can expand on that Im sure.

It is true, bank to bank and cyl to cyl are all adjustable.

The Mad Scientist at it again!  Nice stuff AJ.  Will certainly help folks with 392s have more comfort in modifying the car once sorted.

Yes I need help!!!

lol

AJ

The engines that have had the intake removed and the calibration modified like what was done on your car will have no issues. Engines using the Active intake require a different approach

By the way, mine still blows me away. It runs amazing. Thanks so much.

Aj, good to see you guys continue to improve the product. Would 6.4/procharger setups previously tumed by api benefit from a tune update? Do you think the active intake could have anything to do with the hanging idle issue i contacted you about last week?

Thanks

Yes Per cylinder is possible

Thanks, Its good stuff for sure. Matt, Dave, And myself are really focused on identifying things like this and creating solutions. The Gpec system is the future, no hiding from it.

What can we say, Indeed it has been a blessing that you continue to let us continue development on your package. It is as close to a fully map-able 6.1 cal as we have yet. As much as I would love to take all the credit Matt has really been my Eyes and Ears when not at API and he really handles that dyno like a pro. All of us really enjoy the development aspect. I must admit I am spoiled as well having good friends to collaborate with. This community truly has a group of individuals with ALOT of specialized experience.

It is true, bank to bank and cyl to cyl are all adjustable.

Yes I need help!!!

lol

AJ

Happy to let you "experiment" with my car AJ....Everytime you mess with it it runs stronger and better! :)

Very interesting. I'm preparing to send my car up for a forged 426 stroker and a ProCharger (D1 around 12 lbs) and assumed I'd need to swap to the 6.1L intake (still may at that pressure). Keeping an eye on this to see how it develops. Could this mean the stock pistons may hold boost better for those just wanting around 7 lbs?

^^^ Question is... Are YOU willing to take that gamble??

Personally...nope. Asking out of curiosity mainly.

My plan is send in for forged 426 with API very soon. Clutch and all necessary fuel mods at that point including a ported n polished (and black powder coated) 6.1L intake.

Then add a D1 PC as soon as I can gather another pile of funds. If this pile gets large enough may end up a turbo application but that's very unlikely. Will do half shafts and gauges with "phase 2" and run 12-13 lbs. with my heads headers cam hope to be 750+ whp. Pretty strong streetcar and ready for some roll races.

Would this new knowledge /understanding also benefit applications like a Maggie which seem to have a pattern of trashing cylinder #3? Could be a silly question :-[

The engines that have had the intake removed and the calibration modified like what was done on your car will have no issues. Engines using the Active intake require a different approach

Its just doing what its told. The characteristics of the airflow and the fueling requirements for the difference are calibrated in the factory PCM, Just not for the additional airflow. The long and short of this is when using the factory intake the engine requires different fueling bank to bank.  My game plan today is to calibrate for the difference. 

Thanks

AJ

Would this new knowledge /understanding also benefit applications like a Maggie which seem to have a pattern of trashing cylinder #3? Could be a silly question :-[

Read above quote

okay what about the 5.7 FI and/or 5.7 stroker based??? i currently use the MSD 8969 to control the SRV. Since my PCM doesn't have the knowledge of it even being there, does it still need to be calibrated in the tune. Shouldn't the 6.4 intake on a 5.7 based stroker FI run even AFR on both sides seeing that it believes to have a non SRV intake on it???

okay what about the 5.7 FI and/or 5.7 stroker based??? i currently use the MSD 8969 to control the SRV. Since my PCM doesn't have the knowledge of it even being there, does it still need to be calibrated in the tune. Shouldn't the 6.4 intake on a 5.7 based stroker FI run even AFR on both sides seeing that it believes to have a non SRV intake on it???

NO

I would think the scenario would be worse.

But why??? There is not a PCM command saying add my fuel to this table etc. because I'm activating the short runners. Shouldn't a tuner be able to tune like a 5.7 intake from 0-4600 and tune like a 6.1 from 4600+. The PCM doesn't have or know about any other variables of the SRV or the activation of it. Right??? BTW, I'm no fucking expert in this, lol, just trying to get a better understanding. :) the SRT's have certain commands from factory and the 5.7's don't.

As I understand it from all the posts, the 6.4L cars are calibrated for the active intake from the factory. The problem they encounter is when they are boosted, they are not calibrated for the change in turbulences caused by increased flow through the active intake. For the cars that don't come with the active intake, they are not at all calibrated for the turbulences caused by it.

Honestly, I don't understand why you even want it. Go 6.1L intake and call it a day.