Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

rick s

Can't Get The Service Manual To Work On Windows 8.1 System

Hi Everyone,

I have the Service Manual for my 09 on CD.

I have a new Notebook with Windows 8.1.  It has no cd/dvd drive.  The way I got it to load on my old XP notebook was I had to copy the CD to a thumb drive, and copy the thumb drive to the notebook.

I did that with the new notebook.  I can to the point where Internet Explorer opens and tries to open it, but it doesn't.  This notebook has IE 11.  

Will it not work with IE 11?

I couldn't get it to work on my computer once the IT bozos upgraded to windows 8

Before that all was good.

It's one of many reasons, in addition to the Easter egg page, that I refuse to upgrade my netbook.

The netbook is my dedicated Challenger kit set up with manuals, PDFs, Diablosport programs from the day I bought them, never upgraded, and anything else I need. This book never gets access to the internet and rarely sees email except for revised tunes when I forget to dump them to a thumb drive at work.

Just a thought for the future.

simply run it under IE7 in developer mode in any newer version of IE

Open the manual's .\html\default.htm in IE

Click on f12 or the sprocket in the upper righ hand corner -> F12 Developer tools

When the window opens at the bottom of IE, select

Mode

--Document Mode -> 7

--User agent string -> Internet Explorer 7

And it will allow you to select year, model and engine to begin the owners manual and continue on as you where using the old version of IE.

Have not found a way to make it open by default thus you have to do this every time you use the manual but this is the best work around I've found

I did keep my XP Notebook with the service manual, Diablo software, and all tunes also.  Strictly for the Challenger.  Never to be updated.  I just would like to have the service manual on here also.  I'll try developer mode later on.

Thanks for the help.

Click on f12 or the sprocket in the upper righ hand corner -> F12 Developer tools

Mode

--Document Mode -> 7

And it will allow you to select year, model and engine to begin the owners manual and continue on as you where using the old version of IE.

Have not found a way to make it open by default thus you have to do this every time you use the manual but this is the best work around I've found

Thanks!  That worked like a charm.

Hi Everyone,

I have the Service Manual for my 09 on CD.

I have a new Notebook with Windows 8.1.  It has no cd/dvd drive.  The way I got it to load on my old XP notebook was I had to copy the CD to a thumb drive, and copy the thumb drive to the notebook.

I did that with the new notebook.  I can to the point where Internet Explorer opens and tries to open it, but it doesn't.  This notebook has IE 11.  

Will it not work with IE 11?

I have the Service Manual on CD also.  It quit working so I contacted Mopar IT.  They said that they were working on a fix.  That was a year ago.  Has anyone else had a problem with the Shop Manual?

I have the Service Manual on CD also.  It quit working so I contacted Mopar IT.  They said that they were working on a fix.  That was a year ago.  Has anyone else had a problem with the Shop Manual?

Disc stop working or you upgraded your PC/Laptop and now it does not work anymore? The only thing I can think of in regards to the disk stopped working is it's scratched.

Or you can buy a new one from https://servicerepairmanuals.com/store/create_account_success.php for around $85 (same thing as the one from MOPAR's Tech Authority. I did a review comparison a while back. Now they have most years if needed

I run a version of Windows on my Mac, thanks to Parallels.  Once inside it's the same Windows bullshit as usual.  Had it fail on me once and I downgraded the browser and it worked again.  Since then, more updates occurred and downgrading no longer works.  Think I can only get to IE8 now, vs IE7.

I will try to the trick RudeDog posted -- thank you!

While I believe Windows is garbage, a lot of this fault lies with the CD developer.  Whoever, developed the thing to run on Windows only should be shot!  I've owned service manuals for multiple vehicles I've owned and this is a first.  All the others are nice PDF files that have hyperlinks to jump between sections.  Oh, and no Windows required to make it work.  :)

I'd like one for my Ram, but not sure I want to deal with the headache of this again.  

Mode

--Document Mode -> 7

Thanks for this.

Makes my life a bit easier to know these tricks!

<_<

Windows 8 and all of it updates are trash in comparison to Windows 7... That being said, you can still use XP mode in windows 8 which works well for most compatibility issues. Like some of the others said above, the blame could still be squarely placed on the developers of the manual software's shoulders.

I wouldn't agree with that entirely.

Yes the usage of any browser is odd at best for a manual even a semi interactive one.

But to build a forward compatible suite is asking a bit much as compared with ensuring your latest offering is reverse compatible.

IMHO

Tell me what is so interactive and special about the Challenger service manual that couldn't be accomplished with a hyperlinked PDF document?

I still have the manual from my 2007 Titan that is designed that way and I can open on Mac or Windows with no special software other than Adobe Reader (free). On my Mac I don't even need software, as the built in Preview software does it. Or I could use Google Chrome's built in PDF viewer.

It's worked on a variety of Windows and Mac operating systems and is just as compatible today as it was in 2007 and older systems.

Let's not forget I can easily print pages on the PDF version so I can have that available vs the computer while doing the actual work.

So yeah I think the developer did a shitty job and didn't offer any benefits for the crap we have to deal with.

Like I said the interface is odd at best.  

IE 8 not being backward compatible is a larger oversight than the other.

I would love for a copy of this in PDF.  

Course then they couldn't justify the 200 bucks for the CD! 

From a technological standpoint (not speaking GUI preference here), Windows 8/Server 2012 is far superior to any OS Microsoft has previously released. People hated windows 95 when it first came out. People hated XP when it first came out. People hated Vista/Win7 (same GUI but UAC is much smarter in Win7) when it first came out.

Get a touch-screen, learn a few keyboard shortcuts, and Windows 8 is pretty badass.

I can probably figure out a way to force that CD to open in IE in DEV/compatibility mode. There's probably command-line switches to do that so you could launch it with a BAT file. Hell, I can script damn near anything using DOS, Powershell, and/or VBScript...

With the latest version of IE (win7/8.1) you can't force compatibility mode via

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE7">

The browser does not like it and won't run. You can't add it to the compatibility list under dev mode as it's not an HTTP address (unless you run a web server locally which is not worth it)

I wonder if the newer manuals for the 12 and up fix this issue. Really it's a lazy developer that is to blame.

Really it's a lazy developer that is to blame.

Developers have gotten lazy. Seems they've all forgotten memory management and other basics that the early coders had no choice but to be good at. I have a lot of respect for those early guys who only had 640k to work with. And the more memory, CPU, etc. the hardware vendors give them, the worse the newer generations of coders will get. Seems it's all come to be about functionality, LUser experience, and being first to market rather than writing good code.

I'm a BOFH who architects and runs several hundred Citrix servers for a global pharma company so I experience the havoc from code bloat and lazy coders on a daily basis. Thank God for virtualization and the ability to add capacity so easily...

Worked perfectly -- thank you!!!   B)

Mode
--Document Mode -> 7

NOTHING HAS CHANGED. Just got the CD for my 2015 Charger. Same crappy format (SVG,etc.). Runs on Windows 10 if you make the CD use IE instead of the new EDGE browser.

IE tab does not work with Chrome on a Mac.  Funny no where on their site tells you this until you install it and try and run it.  However great little extension when running chrome on a newer Windows OS.