Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

toofart

Diy Weld Fumes Extractor

I'm sure Mani will get a good chuckle out of this, but it works awesome so I thought I'd share.

Last winter I did a few projects where the amount of smoke and dust in the shop felt unsafe, so I knew I needed something. In the summer months I work with the doors open, but when it's cold I don't want to lose all the heat.

So I made my own fumes extractor with scrap I had lying around. I used an old bathroom fan which is rated 130cfm.

DSC_0290_zps40cd5c55.jpg

The head is a standard 4" household elbow, which I can pivot in any direction, and attach a variety of 4" adapters or even a length of flex pipe if I need to extract fumes for farther away.

DSC_0293_zpsa49df39e.jpg

Home made pivots using scrap metal and cheap bolts and a bit of grease. Works great.

DSC_0292_zps15bc328e.jpg

I closed up all the doors, cracked a window, turned it on and welded for a few minutes without any noticeable smoke in the shop. Total money spent is about $70.

Pretty slick set up. I've been thinking about putting an exhaust fan in my shop for the same reason. Last time I did a burn out in there it took a half hour for the smoke to clear out. lol

haha, nice! 

if the EPA wasnt so stringent here, id do the same, 

unfortunately we have to run 50000 filters, 40 million bellows, a magnetic dust collector, and a kitchen sink. 

if the EPA wasnt so stringent here, id do the same, 

I hadn't thought of that requirement in a commercial setting...  At first I tried filters, but you need some pretty serious gear to filter out that toxic smoke.  Blowing it outside works better (when you can) and putting the head right near the torch sucks up all the nastiness.

Out in the field we have to wear respirators while another guy holds a shop vac by us to draw the fumes. lol while trying not to pull the gas away from the puddle.

Out in the field we have to wear respirators while another guy holds a shop vac by us to draw the fumes. lol while trying not to pull the gas away from the puddle.

That reminds me of when I did a lot of construction work in the local schools. When school was in session we couldn't run the gas demo saws with built in water systems due to the exhaust fumes so we had to do all the concrete cuts using a circular saw and a spray bottle to keep the dust down. One guy cut and one guy sprayed while trying not to electrocute the guy holding the electric saw. We killed a few saws but I never got zapped. lol

I have contacted the "Ministry of Environment" about your "Cheesy" rig blowing harmful pollutants into the atomosphere.

Expect a visit Monday morning.

:D

Stevo

I'm sure Mani will get a good chuckle out of this, but it works awesome so I thought I'd share.

Last winter I did a few projects where the amount of smoke and dust in the shop felt unsafe, so I knew I needed something. In the summer months I work with the doors open, but when it's cold I don't want to lose all the heat.

So I made my own fumes extractor with scrap I had lying around. I used an old bathroom fan which is rated 130cfm.

DSC_0290_zps40cd5c55.jpg

The head is a standard 4" household elbow, which I can pivot in any direction, and attach a variety of 4" adapters or even a length of flex pipe if I need to extract fumes for farther away.

DSC_0293_zpsa49df39e.jpg

Home made pivots using scrap metal and cheap bolts and a bit of grease. Works great.

DSC_0292_zps15bc328e.jpg

I closed up all the doors, cracked a window, turned it on and welded for a few minutes without any noticeable smoke in the shop. Total money spent is about $70.

That thing can't possibly work!!!

Where's the duct tape and bailing wire????? lol