Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Goehner

We Knew They Were Going To Do It

86 posts in this topic

lol

Good thing we have the dealer hookup here at MMF.

http://www.torquenews.com/106/some-dodge-dealers-charging-15k-order-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat

Even though the order banks for the 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat haven’t opened yet, dealerships around the country are already taking orders for the 707 horsepower muscle car, but those hoping to reserve one of these Mopar monsters should be prepared to shell out some very big money – about $15,000 to be exact.As soon as it was announced that the 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat would “only” cost $59,995, the critics came out of the woodwork to ramble on about how no one will ever buy one of these 707 horsepower beasts for anywhere near that relatively low MSRP. Really, there is nothing profound about those views, as every new model demands a big dealership markup early on so there is no reason to think that the Hellcat Challenger wouldn’t be subject to those same initial markups. Fortunately, I had a chance to speak with a salesman at a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram dealership in Louisiana who offered me some insight on how they are handling preorders and how the competition is handling similar orders. Preorder a Hellcat Challenger for $15k In speaking with the salesman from a Dodge dealership in Louisiana, I learned that his dealership is currently accepting preorders for the 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat even though the order banks aren’t open. The dealership obviously wants to make sure that the prospective buyer is serious, so they are requiring a down payment of $15,000 and of that 15 large, only $5,000 goes towards the purchase price of the 707 horsepower Challenger. In other words, ordering a Hellcat Challenger from this particular dealership will cost you a premium of $10,000 on top of the price of the car so that $61,000 base price grows to $71,000 - See more at: http://www.torquenews.com/106/some-dodge-dealers-charging-15k-order-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat#sthash.ZADLUKUv.LHGVkYzQ.dpuf

"relatively low MSRP" - suck on that anyone that was giving me shit over saying the $59k was low.    :)  :)

That said, $75k is kinda steep.

So wait, if people are willing to pay $10K over sticker Lee shouldn't make all that extra profit for his dealership as well?  Seems we'd be doing Lee a dis-service if it meant that much less per unit for him.  If he gets 10 units that's $100K more for his dealership in straight profit.  A business man has to capitalize on opportunities like these as they don't last forever.

Folks that gotta have them first always pay more, that should not be a surprise.  It was the same for the 2008 models.  For those not willing to pay the extra there are three that are willing in order to have it now.

Also, depending on how many they can actually make, Lee may not be able to get as many as he can sell.  What if he only gets 3 or only 1?  Should he just sell it to the first person that shows up with MSRP?  What about the other 20 folks that wanted it but may have been willing to pay more to have it?

So wait, if people are willing to pay $10K over sticker Lee shouldn't make all that extra profit for his dealership as well?  Seems we'd be doing Lee a dis-service if it meant that much less per unit for him.  If he gets 10 units that's $100K more for his dealership in straight profit.  A business man has to capitalize on opportunities like these as they don't last forever.

Folks that gotta have them first always pay more, that should not be a surprise.  It was the same for the 2008 models.  For those not willing to pay the extra there are three that are willing in order to have it now.

Also, depending on how many they can actually make, Lee may not be able to get as many as he can sell.  What if he only gets 3 or only 1?  Should he just sell it to the first person that shows up with MSRP?  What about the other 20 folks that wanted it but may have been willing to pay more to have it?

I never said he shouldn't, nor do I have a problem with a dealership who tries to get $100k for a Hellcat, Lee wants to sell at MSRP, that is his choice, not mine.

How do you know he'll get any certain number?  Have dealer allocations been determined?  They may base it on % of total Challenger sales or total sales in a given year or something a long those lines.  Really big dealers will get more, smaller less, some none.  Just how it works.

Unless Dodge came flat out and said "we will fulfill every order" then expect markups for the next year or two, or until no one is willing to pay it.  That's all I'm saying.

I refuse to pay dealer mark up, I don't need to be first to buy one and when a dealership try's to go for an amount above MSRP I'm going to take them off my list of dealerships that I will buy from.  That's the economic cost to dealerships when they go for the big score on a new car, a certain amount of previously regular customers will be put off by that.

Nor will I.  Actually that's how I ended up with a Challenger.  Back in 2009 I was shopping for a Camaro and they were $10K over sticker to pre-order.  My local dealer was gonna get 8 of them and had a bit poster out front with who was on "the list" meaning a $1K deposit.  When they wouldn't sell me one for MSRP I walked and test drove a Challenger and the rest is history.  Thanks goodness I didn't end up with that POS Camaro.

Same thing for the 2008 model Challenger.  Some paid big bucks on markup then when they made them even better in 2009 and built plenty AND more Hemi Orange which was supposed to be limited special edition and numbered, the 2008 owners that paid markup were hung out to dry.

Patience is a virtue rings true here.  Let the folks that have to be first pay the big bucks and the dealers make some cash.  Then when things settle down you can get one for normal prices.  I don't even pay MSRP personally.

Good point J, but on the flip side... If Lee takes care of his customer they will be a repeat and be loyal to him and return for service or to buy another car down the road... The Hellcat thing will be short lived that some folks will make fast money on. If they are just one out for the money then the customer is not going to be loyal at all. JMO

Same thing for the 2008 model Challenger.  Some paid big bucks on markup then when they made them even better in 2009 and built plenty AND more Hemi Orange which was supposed to be limited special edition and numbered, the 2008 owners that paid markup were hung out to dry.

Patience is a virtue rings true here.  Let the folks that have to be first pay the big bucks and the dealers make some cash.  Then when things settle down you can get one for normal prices.  I don't even pay MSRP personally.

Yeah I remember how it was when I first started looking at Challengers, I went first to the biggest dealer in the area thinking they wouldn't try to mess around.  Wrong, they told me the R/T on the lot was the price on the sticker (at least they didn't go for extra), I told them I've never paid full sticker for a new car so that wasn't happening.  The salesman's response was that the Challenger was a rare car.  I said what are you talking about a rare car, I said there's more coming down the line everyday and they are going to be making them for years to come.  Needless to say I walked and ordered one about six months latter from another dealership for a shade under invoice. 

Good point J, but on the flip side... If Lee takes care of his customer they will be a repeat and be loyal to him and return for service or to buy another car down the road... The Hellcat thing will be short lived that some folks will make fast money on. If they are just one out for the money then the customer is not going to be loyal at all. JMO

Good point, but you gotta sell a bunch of cars at $1K - $2500 profit to make up for $100K in straight bottom line.

Yeah I remember how it was when I first started looking at Challengers, I went first to the biggest dealer in the area thinking they wouldn't try to mess around.  Wrong, they told me the R/T on the lot was the price on the sticker (at least they didn't go for extra), I told them I've never paid full sticker for a new car so that wasn't happening.  The salesman's response was that the Challenger was a rare car.  I said what are you talking about a rare car, I said there's more coming down the line everyday and they are going to be making them for years to come.  Needless to say I walked and ordered one about six months latter from another dealership for a shade under invoice. 

Well, what was really nuts is that in 2008 I heard of folks paying $20K over sticker to get a Challenger.  Open diff, auto only, etc. 

Then 2009 hits and the car market was in the toilet.  Now you had 6 speeds, Getrag with LSD, etc which are big upgrades to me.  I got mine in Feb 09 and they had that EPP+ plan for Employee Price, zero percent financing and $1000 cash back.  It made my 2009 about $8-9K under sticker and the loan was free.

Amazing what a difference a year made.

Allocation has not been announced yet. I'll take a deposit on an order, but my DM doesn't even know how allocation will be distributed yet.

Did anyone think it wasn't going to happen? If someone did then they need a reality check..lol  Fuck when I was looking at my 2006 SRT charger they wanted 15k  Over.   I waited 6 months and found one with 253 miles.. Saved a bunch actually.... But still....