Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

concussion

Gen 2 Dss 9" Conversion - And I Get To Be The Lab Rat

64 posts in this topic

As many of you know, Eric Hruza from Arrington and Frank Rehak from The Driveshaft Shop surprised me with a set of upgraded axles for loaning out my spare Getrag axles at ChallengerFest 5 so that 2 families could get home. I didn't get to thank Frank face to face when I picked up the axles from DSS, and so a few weeks later I went up to thank him. Frank and I spent about half a day touring the shop, talking cars and he also tossed the BadWagon up on a lift to get a few measurements. Frank is a great guy and a total gearhead like the rest of us.

As I'm local to Frank (less than an hour away) I offered Frank my car whenever he was in need of an LX. Well it didn't take Frank long to take advantage of my offer. Frank was in need of a LX to develop DSS's Gen 2 9" conversion. I of course complied and we set up a date for the BadWagon to be dropped off with Scott Bagshaw (Bagshaw Hotrod Fabrication | Mooresville, NC) for R&D.

When Frank asked what gears and LSD I wanted in the rear, I realized the rear would be staying in my Magnum! I'm extremely stoked about that, as I'm gathering parts for a new build on the BadWagon (build thread coming soon) which my Getrag was going to be the weak link in the driveline, limiting how much power I would be able to run. I'm staying with 3.06 gears as my car is a daily driver and still sees the highway quite a bit. I'll be making enough power that the 3.06 gearing should be good for consistent launches, and I still be able to run my target ET.

The new 9" conversion from DSS is a big step up from their previous offering. This version is a bolt in kit, verses the Gen 1 weld in kit, which should make this much more appealing to us shade tree wrenches. Frank's vision for this kit is the premier street/strip set up: Forged Aluminum Case, Wavetrac LSD, 4" Aluminum CV Driveshaft with sound deadener, and 1400 hp Axles. This set up should be much closer to stock in sound and vibration... which is a godsend for us daily driving our racecars.  B)

The work done so far by Scott is beyond top notch. Take a look for yourself:

dss_gen2_9inch_001.jpg

dss_gen2_9inch_002.jpg

dss_gen2_9inch_003.jpg

Frank and his team are making the driveshaft and it will be delivered to Scott today. Scott will install the driveshaft and tweak my Billy Boat exhaust (it's never fit correctly on my car. *ninja* ) and spend a day or so testing. When Scott and Frank are satisfied with the set up, I'll go pick it up and take it to the track to beat on it.

All of us, Frank, Scott and myself, are very excited about this conversion. I can't wait to put some miles and passes on it and compare it to my getrag. I know it'll be a big improvement. It'll give me the piece of mind to go all out with the BadWagon when the new build is completed, and I'm ready to set it on kill.

Frank, thank you for allowing me to be your lab rat on this project, it's a win-win not only for us, but for the entire LX community.

Looks fantastic!

Thanks Rob, just trying to catch up to you. ;)

Awesome looking set-up..

Thanks bud, I think so too.

Holy shit John that's so cool!! Enjoy it bro and congrats!

LMAO! I'm so stoked. This build has come together very well, and the gen 2 9" was the missing piece of the puzzle for the power I'm shooting for.

Very cool. Will be looking forward to your results. Don't sweat the 3.06 gear too much. 1st is so huge in a nag1 you can get away with a taller rear.

John, i had quite a few sleepless nights before I chose the gear. In the end, the tall 1st gear, unknown final rwhp and the fact that the car still see the highway made the choice easier.

Badass improvement Frank. good choice Burls going with the 9"

Thanks JL! Scott, Frank and his team have really gone overboard on details and improvements that go beyond just performance. They are shooting for as close to stock in regards to noise, vibration, etc...

You know what the plan is... I'm gonna need all the help I can get putting the power down.

Totally awesome Dude. No one deserves it more.

Thanks boss! I'm sure there are those that deserve it more, but I'm closest to Frank and DSS.

Nice job guys, and congrats John. Can't wait to see the Bad Wagon run in its new incarnation!

Me either Lisa! I won't be at the mile in October, but I'll be there and ready in the spring. :)

You mean I only get one more shot at getting to the 1320 stripe first...damn. This looks really good. Congrats.

The rear will be solid, the rest of the build is up to me to execute... But really, you get one more shot. ;)

Very nice!!

Any idea on the weight comparison of the aluminum 9" to the Getrag??

I don't know the weight specs on either rear, but I'd assume the 9" is heavier. The strength of the 9" should out weigh (pun intended) the added weight for those putting down serious power.

I don't know the weight specs on either rear, but I'd assume the 9" is heavier. The strength of the 9" should out weigh (pun intended) the added weight for those putting down serious power.

I'd really like to get an idea on the weight of the aluminum 9" and how it compares to the iron 8.8".  If you get a chance when you're talking with Frank, please ask him.

I'd really like to get an idea on the weight of the aluminum 9" and how it compares to the iron 8.8". If you get a chance when you're talking with Frank, please ask him.

I sure will bud.

Update!

Scott and Frank are getting very close to having it all wrapped up. Scott only needs to install the driveshaft, the exhaust and take it for a test drive. :mrgreen: Scott's a member of a Outlaw Drag Team and is racing the next few days. I should pick up the Magnum early next week if all goes according to plan.

Frank sent over some current photos today, and man it really looks stout. I can't wait to beat on it, ummm, I mean "test" the rear end at the track. I mean that pumpkin is just massive. I'm so used to seeing the Getrag in that spot, and the 9" is just another animal all together.

Please note that I did use a detail extraction filter on some of these pics to show detail where there were shadows.

ok, enough talk, on to the pics...

dss_gen2_9inch_005.jpg

dss_gen2_9inch_006.jpg

dss_gen2_9inch_007.jpg

dss_gen2_9inch_008.jpg

dss_gen2_9inch_009.jpg

I haven't forgotten about the weight question yet, we just don't have the info yet. :)