Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

concussion

Gen 2 Dss 9" Conversion - And I Get To Be The Lab Rat

64 posts in this topic

Nice work  - getting close !

Getting so close Guy. I'm so excited, the rear looks stout, and the sound deadening in the driveshaft should keep things nice and quiet. I know that Frank has some other tricks up his sleeve as well, I just don't know all of the details yet.

Badass Burls!!

Thanks big dog!!! I'm giddy... :)

The weight with an aluminum 9" center section is about 19 lbs lighter than a nodular iron 9" center section.

The weight compared to an 8.8... the 9" weighs about 16 lbs more with a nodular iron center section. With the aluminum center section itll be a tid bit lighter than an iron 8.8

Hope that helps.

And the 9" with a yukon 10 bolt aluminim center section weighs about 27 lbs more than a get-a-rag

Update!

Scott and Frank are getting very close to having it all wrapped up. Scott only needs to install the driveshaft, the exhaust and take it for a test drive. :mrgreen: Scott's a member of a Outlaw Drag Team and is racing the next few days. I should pick up the Magnum early next week if all goes according to plan.

Please note that I did use a detail extraction filter on some of these pics to show detail where there were shadows.

Is Scott using your car in the races????? :)

...I did use a detail extraction filter .....

Seriously? Like we cared about your photohack skills..

dss_gen2_9inch_009.jpg

I haven't forgotten about the weight question yet, we just don't have the info yet. :)

Very Nice!!!! :)

With the aluminum center section itll be a tid bit lighter than an iron 8.8

Hope that helps.

That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. :)

Thanks Bud.

Awesome stuff man.  That thing looks tasty.  Ask how they handled drive line angle etc.  I'm curious on that.

Here's a tasty morsel for ya Jay, download the Tremec Driveline angle app for your phone, it's free & it works great! :D

BTW, very nice job on the Gen II Diff build by all involved.

When I asked Strange if I could use an aluminum pro center on the street, they recommended against it, reason they gave: too noisy & wears the gears out quick. Something change that I don't know about?

We run a Strange aluminum center section in BJB's jeep. Been in there since 2008 with no issues due to the case. He did chunk a pinion gear recently but that had more to do with running a spool on the street then the diff case. If it can handle his 5000lb pig launching on a 2 step and cutting 1.40-1.42 60fts, I think you are good to go Burls. ;-)

J

Very nice Burls - now lets make some real power :)

That's the plan Mike. ;)

The weight with an aluminum 9" center section is about 19 lbs lighter than a nodular iron 9" center section.

The weight compared to an 8.8... the 9" weighs about 16 lbs more with a nodular iron center section. With the aluminum center section itll be a tid bit lighter than an iron 8.8

Hope that helps.

And the 9" with a yukon 10 bolt aluminim center section weighs about 27 lbs more than a get-a-rag

That definitely helps! Thanks Mani. The rear you posted looks great bud... though I like mine better. :)

Dayum JB that looks nice bro ! I think with this being a bolt in unit DSS sales are going to increase soon. :)

Oh yeah man, it drives better than it looks too. I think these are going to be VERY popular with the go fast crowd.

Awesome stuff man.  That thing looks tasty.  Ask how they handled drive line angle etc.  I'm curious on that.

Thanks Jay! It is nasty, but it's a pussy cat on the street... more on that below. I'll see if I can get Frank to jump in and answer some of these technical questions. :)

I gotta see this at VMP :)

Just walk on over John and take a peek. I'll see ya in a couple days kiddo.

Here's a tasty morsel for ya Jay, download the Tremec Driveline angle app for your phone, it's free & it works great! :D

BTW, very nice job on the Gen II Diff build by all involved.

When I asked Strange if I could use an aluminum pro center on the street, they recommended against it, reason they gave: too noisy & wears the gears out quick. Something change that I don't know about?

Thanks for the props and the app suggestion. I bet Frank can answer your question, it's above my paygrade.

a little strange is good every now and then

LMAO John!

We run a Strange aluminum center section in BJB's jeep. Been in there since 2008 with no issues due to the case. He did chunk a pinion gear recently but that had more to do with running a spool on the street then the diff case. If it can handle his 5000lb pig launching on a 2 step and cutting 1.40-1.42 60fts, I think you are good to go Burls. ;-)

J

That's good, first hand info right there Joel. Hope to see ya at VMP brother.

In this case, I'll be looking into replacing my heavy ASS Pro Nod iron!

You should, you won't be sorry. I'm lovin' this rear end.

UPDATE!!

Sorry for the delayed update, but it was Wyatt's 7th birthday on Thursday, and then we had a sleepover for him that weekend. Mama had a long honey-do-list I had to complete. lol.

I picked up the BadWagon from Bagshaw Hotrod Fabrication on Thursday. 

burls-36kb-001.jpg

The 9" is extremely quiet. It's much more quiet than my Getrag ever was, which I was not expecting. I was trying to hear a whine from the rear, but I could only make out the slightest of noise... really, if I hadn't been trying to hear it, I would never had noticed it. Now that I've put some miles on the DSS 9", that slight whine is completely gone! 

The 9" is as stout as it looks. VERY solid. If I didn't know better, I'd swear it was a solid axle back there. The wavetrac is a big step up versus the Getrag, both rear wheels spinning together without worry. It's predictable when ya wanna play with it a bit, though since I have about 100 miles to go until the post-breakin oil change I haven't truly beat on it yet... I will very soon though.  

Frank had given me instructions on how to break in the rear, when to change the oil, and when I could take it to the track. 

For any of you who'll be putting this rear in your car, these are the break in instructions:

Don't beat on it (too hard), and no 1/4 mile passes until breakin and post-breakin oil change is complete
Speed runs are fine just don't hold it for long
Drive for 30 minutes. Stop let the car cool down. Repeat 3 or 4 times.
This allows the gears to mesh and breakin properly without being abusive.
After 300 miles, change the oil
Recommended Oil: Lucas 85-140 non synthetic, no additives
1.75 Qts
After the oil change, you're good to go.

So, I did ask Frank recommended on the break in over the weekend. It was good to have my car back and to get some quality time with her. I apologize for the lack of pics. I'll take some good shots soon. I was busy test fitting my new CCW drag set up and cleaning up my street wheels. I didn't have much time this weekend, so I had to hustle.

burls-36kb-025.jpg

On Monday I took the BadWagon up to DSS so that they could look the car and 9" over, as well as make any tweaks they deem necessary. Frank's attention to detail, and quality is simply astounding. Frank said he'd test drive the car as well to make sure it's up to his standards. The Magnum should be ready for pick up today, just in time to get it ready for VMP. 

Thanks again to Frank and his team for the top notch job, and the opportunity to be a tester for this product. 

I can't wait to test the 9" on Friday's Test n Tune at VMP.... should be a blast!