Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

G Funk

My Car Is Running Like Chit

Trying to get my "current" tuner to look at my logs but he has not been able to yet.  Maybe someone here can look at this graph and at least tell me i am not crazy.  These numbers in the graph here look anything but optimal to me.  

It was suggested that maybe what i am seeing was caused by some bad 93 octane i put in but i do not think that is the issue here.

http://modernmoparforum.com/uploads/gallery/album_346/gallery_1784_346_27983.png

EDIT:  I should add that this log file was taken just driving around the block a couple of times with some mid-throttle, no WOT pulls.

15* actual timing at 1500 rpm with 5* being pulled by LT knock.  Hard to tell how hard you're pressing on the gas pedal at that one frame.

Can you attach the entire log file?

I attached the log file.  

Mods are 392 w/ 222/230 221 lsa cam, block honed +.010, forged 2618 pistons, 85mm TB, 6.1 intake, CAI and exhaust system that i had on my R/T before (jba shorties, jba hi-flow catted mids, flowmaster force II catback)

and before you guys give me shit for that log file name...i was told this maybe caused by shitty gas so i put some octane boost in to see if it helped any..and you know..to gain 40whp.

OCTANE_BOOST.zip

I haven't looked at the log, yet, but I see the LTKR in the pic you posted. I wonder if noise from the 2618 pistons is getting picked up as false knock.

Could be, would they constantly make noise though?  Even when the car is nice and warmed up or would it just be on cold starts?

I should add that the block was honed +.010 for proper ring gapping if that makes a difference.

So had the car been running fine prior to this issue ? If so I doubt it's piston noise giving false knk. Something I have seen numerous times that cause false knock are the heat shields over the knock sensors. Make sure they are tight and not hitting anything, especially not the wiring come from the sensors. I had this issue and it was a pia to figure out.

So had the car been running fine prior to this issue ? If so I doubt it's piston noise giving false knk. Something I have seen numerous times that cause false knock are the heat shields over the knock sensors. Make sure they are tight and not hitting anything, especially not the wiring come from the sensors. I had this issue and it was a pia to figure out.

From 3k rpm on up yes it has been running pretty good.  From 0-3k ish its a bit rough, at low rpm's it will die, and it seems to surge some when it downshifts into 1st and i am on the break going to a stop.  (car was dyno tuned from 3k rpm up, tuner did not fiddle with 0-3k too much.)

I got the car up on a lift last week to check the o2 sensors because bank 1, slot 1 was complaining and nothing seemed out of order.  The CEL that was on went away and has not come back since.  I will definitely double check the heat shields though thanks for the suggestion. 

So it has done this all along since tuned for the mods that were just done ? That be the case I would lean more toward tuning issues. But definitely check those heat shields.

If the knock i am seeing is false, do i even need to worry about it?  I would think i need to figure out what is causing it that way if i have real KR later i know its not bullshit.  

Stu sent me another tune with some timing pulled at idle, raised drive idle and reverse idle and it seems to be running a little better...it did not actually die on me...it acted like it was but then came out of it a couple of times but didn't actually die. 

Maybe i am just not used to a cammed engine?

I noticed that the tape they used for the wiring on some of my sensors was coming off and the wires were exposed, not sure if that makes a difference, but i taped everything and shielded the wires properly.  I also adjusted fan settings and gave it .5 throttle boost and no there is no more KR.  WTF.  

Sometimes i feel like i should just stick to building data center clouds and replicating data from point a to point b, and leave this car shit alone...but damnit, horsepower is addicting.

I don't know Stu, but Mike at OST had me fixed up in the first tune. Then had me log KR, found false knock. Put MS109 in, still had knock. Got under it and found the fuel line heat shield hitting the header. Fixed everything.

Well i ended up talking to Sean since he had tuned my car before the engine swap...and for a small fee...my car is running great now.  No more "false" knock, no more dying at low rpms, no more 9mpg.  All is well in the universe again.