Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

lxmodguy

Aluminum Motor Folks Step Inside

43 posts in this topic

I am looking for a little feedback.  I am very close to building a big aluminum motor and wanted to get thoughts from some folks running them.  I know there aren't many out there.  I have heard a fair bit of negative from some folks.  So give me some feedback people.  Issues, challenges, etcs

Some random stuff I've heard (mostly true):

Iron block will make a little more power as they don't flex as much.  This is more than offset by the 100 lb loss of weight.

The mopar aluminum block will accept motor plates, a dry sump and roller bearings for the cam shaft.   Most folks won't do this but interesting none-the-less

You can get more cubic inches from the aluminum blocks

They cost about $4000

The use steel sleeves which can be replaced.  Sleeves cost about $35/each.   Nice if you screw up a cylinder

That's about all I got right now.

4.05 x 4.125,  street machine mostly here, the weight loss is appreciable up front, oil looks like honey the antifreeze bleh olive drab, it's all good

How many miles do  you have on yours so far?  I don't think I will drive mine all that much, but I want to be able to drive it anywhere.  

I got some water in a cylinder when it sat for a while and it etched the cylinder wall.  I think I was using the right Cometic gasket.  Didn't have any other issues or leaks.

How many miles do  you have on yours so far?  I don't think I will drive mine all that much, but I want to be able to drive it anywhere.  

just over 6k miles, plenty of pleasurable driving, a few good blats at the track when I get the time( don't have a honest hook game in force) enjoying the hell out it NA mid 500's hp 23mpg lol

4.05 x 4.125,  street machine mostly here, the weight loss is appreciable up front, oil looks like honey the antifreeze bleh olive drab, it's all good

Whats that mean oil/honey......antifreeze bleh olive drab

Whats that mean oil/honey......antifreeze bleh olive drab

in your mind hold a glass of 10w40 full synthetic an a glass of honey, same look to me and umm and then maybe a glass of orange antifreeze thats been topped off with some prestone green, my stretch lol 

in your mind hold a glass of 10w40 full synthetic an a glass of honey, same look to me and umm and then maybe a glass of orange antifreeze thats been topped off with some prestone green, my stretch lol

Sounds like oil in the antifreeze

Ok aluminum motor guys, let's use some deductive reasoning.  We know from another members post that aluminum block number 222 had a hairline crank and got some antifreeze into the oil.  So my curiousity is peaked.  What block number do you have?  

not a good reason for the problem but personally I think pouring aluminum blocks somewhat problematic, which leaves everybit of the success on the shoulder of the quality control department. I'm not surprised a few get by the pressure checks and measurements, just sayin

I recommend getting them impregnated before you build it up. Costs about $200 if I remember correctly and it fills the voids in the casting to prevent these kind of leaks.

J

Arrow told me in 2 separate conversations that the blocks were double impregnated, they must get the economy version or just saying that to cover there ass.

Just some things I have seen on a few.

Bolt holes seem loose. Almost like wrong drill sized used and thread engagement is not there. Seen holes that after mock up look pulled almost over torqued, but was there and seen them torqued correctly.

I question the hardness of the block and what material is being used. Hardness question might just be how it is machined, coolant and cutters that gives it the look and could really be nothing. Material would still like to know.

Double impregnated from the start is either parts are bad and they are getting them to pass or just following standard operation that most oem use.

It is great that Mopar made the block and is a step in the right direction for the aftermarket support. So don't take my post as a bash just observation.

I've had mine for a couple of years now. Not a daily driver but I do put some miles on her. I drive from NYC to VA for the MSHS events twice a year. I also drive over an hour each way when I go to tracks in my area a number of times per year. Not to mention the abuse at the track.. . .lol.

Knock on wood no issues so far and each oil change looks good.

My motor belonged to AJ Hemituner who ran it for a season. Before it came to me it was opened up and all looked good.

Just an FYI the lighter block raised my front end up quite a bit so factor in some suspension work to get it back down.