Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

blackdeuce

Trufiber Cuda Ii Hood And Srt Chin Spoiler On My R/t

I dinged up my front fender a number of weeks ago and it just nipped the hood and one end of the spoiler.  I figured I'd dress it up a bit while I had it in for repair.  All new parts, no bondo.

My body guy is real anal.  He spent a lot of time getting the fiberglass hood perfect.  I got a few crappy pics before I pulled her back in the garage.  It's covered in dust and was too cold to wash it.

It looks really nice in person.  I'm quite happy with it.  Fairly aggressive look, but not overboard.

20150108_131945_zps9468f771.jpg

20150108_133023_zps70f371ff.jpg

20150108_133008_zps184d68b8.jpg

ya them hoods i think are the best looking one for the challenger.. specially the carbon fiber one.

when you bought yours guessing it is the glass version.. how was the fit? and was it heavy?

Honestly if I was designing it, I would have shortened the outside creases to match the angle of the scoop openings. I think that would make it perfect. Still like it, I just think it would look a tiny bit better :)

ya them hoods i think are the best looking one for the challenger.. specially the carbon fiber one.

when you bought yours guessing it is the glass version.. how was the fit? and was it heavy?

I don't think it's too heavy.  I think the manufacturer's website says it weighs 40 pounds.  They show a video of beating on one for several minutes with a 5 pound sledge and it doesn't break.  Marketing for sure, but seems like it's pretty tough.

My body shop spent quite a bit of time getting it just right.  Before working the hood, it had to be "baked' for around 3 hours.  They then blocked it to smooth out some ripples and then applied layers of something (sorry, I can't remember what he called it) and blocked it some more.  It turned out nice, but it took some work to get it right.  The cost of the hood with freight is about the same as the original OEM hood, but it cost more in prep work.  Because I needed a new hood anyway, it was a small investment for me.  I really like it.

Honestly if I was designing it, I would have shortened the outside creases to match the angle of the scoop openings. I think that would make it perfect. Still like it, I just think it would look a tiny bit better :)

That would probably look more streamlined.  I think the currently design probably has a more aggressive look.  Anyway, I like it.  :)

Nice! That was going to be my hood untill Truefiber made SXs ram air hood. Very well made but like all long glass hoods, mine took quite a bit of prep on surface for the gloss paint, would have been much less with just flat black, but that IS the nature of glass. :D

Nice! That was going to be my hood untill Truefiber made SXs ram air hood. Very well made but like all long glass hoods, mine took quite a bit of prep on surface for the gloss paint, would have been much less with just flat black, but that IS the nature of glass. :D

My son mentioned that a buddy put a fiberglass hood on his truck.  He used a different body shop and it looks like shit.

I checked your photo in the gallery.  Very nice, btw.  I noticed that you went with hood pins.  Do you feel that they are necessary?  Trufiber notes that they should be used, but I thought that might be a cya thing on their part.  They don't have them on the car shown in their web page.

Meh I wouldn't worry bout pins on your hood, it is a bit lighter and does not redirect the windflow like my heavy ass hood, which I have seen bouncing a good inch in the middle of the backside with a high crosswind, on MINE didn't want to worry that the latch plate would come lose. Another thing to consider is REMOVING the struts that support the hood, again your hood is lighter than mine but my painter FREAKED OUT when he saw the amount of flex the hood did to close/start struts down and we removed them when installed, so had to rivet my prop rod back ON (yes I removed it when I upgraded to struts, STILL have the one off my 09 SE).

Thanks for the reply.  I agree with your thinking.  I think I'll skip the hood pins for now.  They do look kinda cool, though.  I had them on my 1970 Super Bee.

My body shop handed me the hood struts.  He wasn't comfortable using them.  I had never removed my prop rod, so it's still there.  I hate losing the hood struts, but I don't want to risk screwing up the hood.  I think my body guy would cry if I did.  lol.  

I have had my hood about three years and still have people stop and stare, take pics and such. I love it every time I drive it. I added a bit more to the front to give it a bit extra kick.

post-55-0-44060900-1420830894_thumb.jpg

I have had my hood about three years and still have people stop and stare, take pics and such. I love it every time I drive it. I added a bit more to the front to give it a bit extra kick.

attachicon.gifIMG_6856.jpg

Nice!  

Thanks for the comments.

The body guy did a real nice job under the hood, too.  He wasn't able to install the hood insulation, but he put a finish coat of paint on the bottom side of the hood.  

I bought a Moroso coolant tank and power steering tank that I need to install.  Will be nice to get rid of the plastic coolant tank.

Body color paint under the makes the engine bay pop, especially adding chrome or satin. Wait till you get it painted and see it in the sun, you will go bling crazy, I am still going down that road. Your car makes that stuff pop from the color really standing out great job so far!

Thanks for the comments.

The body guy did a real nice job under the hood, too.  He wasn't able to install the hood insulation, but he put a finish coat of paint on the bottom side of the hood.

lol, so did mine and used the "high dollar" clear looks great BUT he did it BEFORE I renegotiated the price for paint/prep since I had intended to go flat black both sides and changed to two toned with gloss color, he had shot and cleared the bottom first so had to pay for his mistake but not bad considering with two colors and extra body work to top price went from $350 to $500 but WELL worth the results! :D

Funniest part is, except for Mopar Judged shows (have a custom prop rod for those), I almost NEVER show the car with hood up, since I have no "bling", and with hood down they can see my custom logo, HEMI six spd callouts, and "bleed-thru" stripes.

I don't have much bling under the hood, either.  I've done a few small things, but nothing that would win a car show.  I don't intend to take my car to shows, but there are a few small local shows that I've thought about attending.  More to b.s. with the other guys than anything.  

What do you use for a prop rod?  Does it work better than the stock rod, or just fancier looking?  The hole in the bottom of the hood for the stock prop rod is a pretty good sized slot.  It might be the same as the slot in the stock hood, but it looks like the rod could go far enough in that it would hit the outer skin of the hood.  I'm going to create a "stop" on the rod to make sure that doesn't happen.

F. The Wind/Weather hood prop; had to make this a couple years ago for the "Judged" shows like the first picture at LA Nats last year. Simple and cheap to make as it is merely a piece of 3/4" tubing with a 1/4" dia U bolt mounted 1/2" from bottom that goes into latch, and the top has a 3/8" hole drilled at 1" down then notched with a 1/4" "quick cotter" hole drilled 3/8" from top. Think the show one is about 15" tall, but I made a second one just for working under hood since its safest way to hold up hood, at 29", can't remember how much was but just need 1) 3/4"x36" square tubing, 1)1/4"x 1 1/2" U bolt (SS), and 1)1/4" x 1 1/4" quick cotter. :D

1421247473.jpg

Full shot, lower is not a U bolt it's something off a mower handle used a U bolt on my work-on prop.

1421247722.jpg

Close up of top

1421247976.jpg

I like what you made.  Looks very secure.  I've found hood props on the internet, but they basically look like a shower curtain rod.  Nothing to hold it in place.  Seems like it would be easy for someone to knock it out of place and that wouldn't be good.