Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

charginscott

Hp Tuners Is Available Now For Mopars

60 posts in this topic

I've used HP Tuners on my Camaro and other GM cars for a few years now. Good stuff!

The key is knowing what parameters affect what.

On the GM side of things there's a ton of knowledge available online from tuners and other users to help learn the system. The know

Edge base on the HP Tuner forum alone is invaluable, let alone sprinkled around the various LS forums.

On the Mopar side of things it's going to be a steep learning curve for the average DIY guy, but glad they finally came out with it!

Mike, can you please expand on the gearing obstacle?

Hp doesn't offer gear calibration changes. But maybe you could flash that into the tcm, then capture your base file. Downside being maybe needing two tuners.

Mike, with ya said how does hp deal with the torque management aspect. We've all seen the aftermath of poor tuning with Diablo and taking out trannys with improper settings, is that accommodated in the hp software?

So that begs the question, what do you give Diablo?  Time to start thinking about switching tuning platforms? 

No. Diablosport is still the only comprehensive tuning solution in town at this time. You would gain nothing. In fact you would lose your "heads up display" that the Trinity offers. You could datalog at the track with the HPT unit but there is no display. Not to mention if you switch rear gears you have to come up with an "add on" solution. Diablo is still my top choice for now.

Mike, can you please expand on the gearing obstacle?

Sure. Like Cam said below - there's no option to "flash" the TCM for tire size or rear gear change like you can do with a Diablo handheld device. All Diablo tools (not CMR) allow you to flash the TCM. HPTuners (and SCT as of the last time I verified) cannot flash the TCM. So if you change gears you have to purchase another tire size/gear change module or play the "hokey pokey" with your TCM. Just not worth the effort. You also cannot monitor anything live unless you want to cruise with your laptop.

Hp doesn't offer gear calibration changes. But maybe you could flash that into the tcm, then capture your base file. Downside being maybe needing two tuners.

Mike, with ya said how does hp deal with the torque management aspect. We've all seen the aftermath of poor tuning with Diablo and taking out trannys with improper settings, is that accommodated in the hp software?

Cam, yes it is accomodated and I am attaching some examples.

Here's some screen shots of an forced induction SRT tune. The beauty of HPT is that almost all of the parameters have some type of definition (although not all 100% accurate) as well as min/max values for the settings (see the bottom gray box in each screen print below). This is where HPT is going to help the "new" engine calibrator in comparison to the CMR software that has exactly 0% of the parameters defined.

TM is divided nicely into 2 sections - general and engine:

tm1_zps5f3fhq3i.png

tm2_zpsyzjkykta.jpg

You will see in the above image as well as the image below that there is also the ability to show a graph of the settings which is very helpful at analyzing an entire table in a glance for erroneous entries. HPT also offers the ability to "smooth" and "interpolate" groups of cells which most tuning software offers but CMR does not. Think about your poor tuner as we use CMR and have to individually enter/change values in each cell of a table or transfer to an Excel spreadsheet, manipulate and then copy/paste back into a tune :(

HPT I just highlight a group of cells and hit the smooth or interpolate buttons :)

ve_zpstu0kv2gc.jpg

HPT has it going on but the lack of gear change capability and live heads up monitoring without a laptop will keep me in the Diablo world for now.

I am really used to CMR.  I used to do only GM stuff years ago on HPtuners. I don't like the software YET.  It is buggy, every other car I have used it on to beta I have had to wait for support to update a calibration.  Unless someone refuses to buy a trinity I will stick with my CMR stuff for now.  BTW, it only supports up to 2012 right now.  It does support the two newest generation vipers though which is a plus

I am really used to CMR.  I used to do only GM stuff years ago on HPtuners. I don't like the software YET.  It is buggy, every other car I have used it on to beta I have had to wait for support to update a calibration.  Unless someone refuses to buy a trinity I will stick with my CMR stuff for now.  BTW, it only supports up to 2012 right now.  It does support the two newest generation vipers though which is a plus

HPT is still in it's infancy relative to CMR. As far as calibration updates go the last 3 or 4 2014's I tuned w/CMR also required me to get a calibration update from Diablosport (which responded within the hour) so I wouldn't hold that against HPT in these early stages. But I am with you and CMR is still my first choice.

Liking the fact that HPTuners have an affordable option for those that are inclined to tune for themselves.

Chris

Absolutely! Just be sure to get the "Pro" version so that you can record analog inputs (like a wideband).

Liking the fact that HPTuners have an affordable option for those that are inclined to tune for themselves.

Chris

No doubt Chris, I'll be using hp for the kids 69 bird project on the lq9 we're dropping in.

Are there any guys to contact about Email tunes using HP Tuners? I know who to contact for Diablo. Just wanted to talk to a tuner or two before I make a decision. My chevy friend is really happy with HP Tuners and his email tuner. It's seems to be a lot harder to find mopar tuners. 

So HP tuners has less tables than CMR so why are people looking to change??

less ability to change important stuff

Why is there any discussion??

HP has better graphs??

There is no doubt CMR is better for skilled tuners, with more tables.

So HP tuners has less tables than CMR so why are people looking to change??

less ability to change important stuff

Why is there any discussion??

HP has better graphs??

There is no doubt CMR is better for skilled tuners, with more tables.

Maybe because CMR is out of reach for common folk like me, who understand engines and tuning but want more control than what Predator/Trinity offer on the handhelds.

From what Ive been told, its going to be a game changer down the road and is still beta right now. Should be very useful in the field but of course its not for everyone. The average joe will still lean towards and easy plug and play handheld.

Id say its at a bare minimum good to have some competition and options. Cant hurt and they are all about helping us right now which is a huge win.

Maybe because CMR is out of reach for common folk like me, who understand engines and tuning but want more control than what Predator/Trinity offer on the handhelds.

Well that is an option.

But it takes years of learning the FCA program... heck even the experienced tuners can still be perplexed by some engine combinations.

I've had CMR ever since it was released and it still can make me pull my hair out.

There is very little documentation on tune calibration manipulation, very little "Tribal Knowledge" that gets passed down ... heck just having a locked tune to me says either of two things.. one the tuner protects his good work... the other that I myself think is... more common is that it prevents others from verifying the mistakes that some tuners make from being unskilled.

Now give this power to anyone with a laptop and just sit back and watch the carnage.

Now you say you understand tuning.. can you give the algorithm the FCA uses for torque calculation and torque management?

That if you don't know it and I have yet to see anyone post it will cause if you can't understand it's all for naught.

From what I understand, HP Tuners is about teaching etc.. They do not allow their own employees to tune cars, they are only allowed to teach others how to do it. Well thats what Ive been told anyway, lol.

But very true, this isnt going to mean much to the average end user until they do some learning. It will be interesting to see how it progresses no doubt. I find it hard to believe that a product that owns the other car markets just wont work in ours. Doesnt make sense, fear of the unknown or fear of the new guy is our platforms biggest problem since day one. It has allowed the small group control us as end users. If another major player wants to get involved in our platform, I am 10000000000000000000% for it. Can only help us in the long run.

We've seen it so many times, new kid in town wants to help and everyone throws rocks at them. Just odd to me, why wouldnt we want more options and avenues to progress our passion for modding.

Not sure if there is any truth to this but someone just posted they tuned a hellcat with Hp Tuners. lol, what are the odds

560216_10155426009330602_50366219161084810406978_10155426009630602_3990119685483

11061720_10155426009845602_3306810879412

Posted by Alex Vincent Peitz from SeriousHP Performance

The results are in! The hellcat picked up 36 horsepower and 26 lb ft of torque with just a tune! I would like to thank HP Tuners for all of there help and especially Ion over there! Up next...E85 conversion! Note* 687hp SAE, 704hp STD correction..pics of both below

— with Jay Payson and 4 others.

Dan, I hope you don't think I'm throwing rocks? I love HPT, tune with it regularly, look forward to the new features that HPT announced recently and will have the Jeep running on it shortly.