Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

ALcharger

Alcharger's Engine Refresh + More Details

31 posts in this topic

2014 was an exciting and successful year with the 7L NA build. On our first outing at CF5 it ran a 10.6 and Mike Doban prediction of a 9 second pass came to be but it wasn’t without its struggles. In the process of overcoming obstacles we learned a tremendous amount about the potential of the Gen III Hemi engines and what makes them go fast. This involved countless hours of researching and testing the impact of various bolt on parts. On the tuning side Mike pushed the limits of modifying the factory PCM through CMR tuning to make a highly modified 4 door Charger be somewhat streetable as well as capable of making a 9 second pass without the aid of any power adders.

Not be able to sit on my hands and with Mike’s gentle persuasiveness we decided to push the envelope even more for the 2015 season.

I need to back up a bit in the story…. As you may know Mike operates a chassis dyno business and tunes a significant number of cars equipped with almost every imaginable combination of engine modifications. He specializes in tuning the Gen III Hemi’s and has spent the last several years supporting my addiction. Recently Mike had a customer car delivered from out of state with a fresh engine. The car was equipped with a 426ci Gen III Hemi and a D1 Procharger. The customer asked Mike how much power he thought the car would make. Mike told him that he had tuned many cars with this identical combo and it would make between x and y wheel horsepower.

Here’s where it gets interesting.

Having tuned so many of these cars Mike knew almost instantly when making his first pull that something was different about this engine just by the sound. To make a long story short, the engine made 60 more wheel horsepower than any other identical combo Mike had tuned. On top of that Mike still had the knock sensors set at almost the factory settings, which indicates the engine ran unusually quiet for this type of build. Even more surprising to Mike was that the catch can, when inspected after several dyno pulls was bone dry, not even an oil mist. Mike inquired of the owner about who built the engine and what components were used. The owner of the car arranged for Mike to contact the engine builder and a relationship was established. Not only is the engine builder an 11 time NHRA champion he also builds some of the quickest Drag Pack engines out there.

So you see where this is going icon_wink.gif

In short order my engine was out of my car and on its way to this engine builder. When I dropped off my engine I was impressed by how pristine the shop was and the number of high end automated machine tools. There was even a fresh built, gorgeous, aluminum 425 Gen III Hemi waiting for a dyno run and then on to a Drag Pak customer.

The first order of business was to get a baseline pull of my current build on the new builder’s engine dyno. The baseline pull netted a peak HP of 672 at 6800rpm – almost exactly where the engine HP calculators showed it should be with my times/MPH at the track with the fuel being used.

Then we let the builder work his magic. In the matter of only a few days (and this with him going to his season opener race in Pomona over the weekend) he had the engine apart, cleaned, machine work completed and reassembled. Modifications included a new hone, a modified ring pack, minor modifications to the existing pistons, some oiling system changes and a new cam better suited for the combo. How he turned this around so quickly amazed us. We were caught off guard when he sent us a video of my engine back together and on the dyno only a few days after the initial pulls. We were even more amazed when we saw the power gains. The track will tell the true story but we can say this – Mike and I have already commissioned this builder to design and assemble additional engines for several customers and will be keeping you posted on the progress and results. Mike’s only complaint is that this guy is too fast and he has trouble staying ahead of him in getting the engine details needed to complete the engines smile.png

Now to see what the new gains will net at the track.

20150216_185840.jpg

Just before going back into the Charger.

Here are the before and after engine dyno numbers using C14 fuel and the same AFR and timing. Notice there are some tuning opportunities for Mike!!

JTR_7l_before_and_after_dyno_21715_001_0

Very cool Kent, It would have been nice to see the new power results too after reading the interesting story! I'll be tuning in to your new setups debut at Bradenton.

Are you going to tell us your ET and MPH or will that be a secret too? :-)

Jeff,

This is my doing so don't take it out on Kent. If there are improvements in ET or MPH you will know.

As a dyno owner/operator I cringe everytime someone says "my car made X HP on the dyno"!

Just show me what it does at the track or in the mile or out the back at Bonneville - then you have your proof of performance improvement.

I don't race dyno sheets :)

So please don't take it out on Kent.

How sick will it be to have an N/A car competitive in the Pro class, good luck.

That is certainly a possibility :)

Are there any other NA cars running in Pro?

Kent, HRH Performance is who and from where ?

Linda:)

I think we will be hearing more about this company.

There's a HRH Performance (Hot Rod Hemi) engine being assembled for my Jeep right now. Our builder is just to quick for me to stay ahead of. I told him I wanted to build a 426 for the Jeep on Wednesday and in between getting Kent's engine done and dyno tested he already prepped the block, sonic tested the cylinders and has the engine half filled with hardblok. He called me Friday and said I need to decide on a rotating assembly by today. He's a machine and a serious engine builder!

I think we will be hearing more about this company.

There's a HRH Performance (Hot Rod Hemi) engine being assembled for my Jeep right now. Our builder is just to quick for me to stay ahead of. I told him I wanted to build a 426 for the Jeep on Wednesday and in between getting Kent's engine done and dyno tested he already prepped the block, sonic tested the cylinders and has the engine half filled with hardblok. He called me Friday and said I need to decide on a rotating assembly by today. He's a machine and a serious engine builder!

That is badass...and you think this highly of him mike?

And what do you mean??!!! My dyno sheet can out trap your dyno sheet!! lol

Jeff,

This is my doing so don't take it out on Kent. If there are improvements in ET or MPH you will know.

As a dyno owner/operator I cringe everytime someone says "my car made X HP on the dyno"!

Just show me what it does at the track or in the mile or out the back at Bonneville - then you have your proof of performance improvement.

I don't race dyno sheets :)

So please don't take it out on Kent.

That is certainly a possibility :)

Jeff's car is the only one that has to date if my memory serves me right.

Jeff,

----------------------------------------------------------

Yet Kent continues to spout off about dyno numbers and computer calculations, while only giving half of the story.

Time has revealed a pattern of him stirring the pot and you playing damage control.

-------------------------------------------------

I believe Greg (Hemiwagn) will be running his N/A car in Pro Class this season.

Look forward to the results!

Thanks, me toooo!

Very cool Kent, It would have been nice to see the new power results too after reading the interesting story! I'll be tuning in to your new setups debut at Bradenton.

12 days and a lot of work to do. It's possible....

Congrats it sounds like you will be having an interesting racing season ahead of you. 

Thanks bud.

Are you going to tell us your ET and MPH or will that be a secret too? :-)

The suspense is killing me! I've got get wrenching...

I'd love to hear how it did on the dyno after the mods....either way, can't wait to hear how it does!

At this point we are excited with the quick response, low/no blow by and engine dyno numbers. This could be a good thing for our community.....BUT we have to get the car to the track....

How sick will it be to have an N/A car competitive in the Pro class, good luck.

I guess anything is possible.......

Als sig says 9.97 @ 135 with an HRH 7.1L.

Thanks for noticing, fixed...

Congrats on the achievements! Will you be at CF6?

YES CF6!

Yet Kent continues to spout off about dyno numbers and computer calculations, while only giving half of the story.

Time has revealed a pattern of him stirring the pot and you playing damage control.

-------------------------------------------------

I believe Greg (Hemiwagn) will be running his N/A car in Pro Class this season.

Jon, I'm a bit confused.

I have always had the greatest respect for you and your Dad's cars and racing abilities.

This is about having fun. If there is something from our past we need clear up, call me. I'll PM you my cell number.

Your right al....quick work, that has little to no blow by with low internal noise......AND mikes blessing.....makes me think for the first time in my life about sending a motor out of houston to be built! This could be really great for the community :)

Jon, I'm a bit confused.

I have always had the greatest respect for you and your Dad's cars and racing abilities.

This is about having fun. If there is something from our past we need clear up, call me. I'll PM you my cell number.

This has nothing to do with my Dad (or me either, for that matter).

This isn't about that past, either. It's about taking 8 paragraphs to tell us about a secret engine builder and secret dyno numbers.

If you've got something you want to share, fine. But reading this was like watching "Let's Make a Deal". Just show us what's behind the fucking doors, already.

See Post . I added a spreadsheet I made not to be published... I'm do better if when I graph the numbers. Our builder gave us the dyno numbers in a table format....

Should definitely pull harder with that torque curve.

^^^ This guy is paying attention :)

Who cares about the peak HP - just look how long that torque curve hangs above 600

According to Kent you guy's must care about HP to Mike,

"Recently Mike had a customer car delivered from out of state with a fresh engine. The car was equipped with a 426ci Gen III Hemi and a D1 Procharger. The customer asked Mike how much power he thought the car would make. Mike told him that he had tuned many cars with this identical combo and it would make between x and y wheel horsepower.

Here’s where it gets interesting.

Having tuned so many of these cars Mike knew almost instantly when making his first pull that something was different about this engine just by the sound. To make a long story short, the engine made 60 more wheel horsepower than any other identical combo Mike had tuned."