Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

JDW RT 09

Dodge Stops Taking Challenger And Charger Hellcat Orders

48 posts in this topic

Told y'all it was too cheap and all I got was shit.....  :)   Should have been $75k first year.  There would still be enough people to buy it.  Bring the price down over a few years.

I say every body should let them sit on the show room floors for about 6 months and they would lower the price, end up cranking up production to meet demand and make a lot more money and have more loyal customers again instead of a bunch of pissed of people that are now saying FUCK Dodge ! 

I say every body should let them sit on the show room floors for about 6 months and they would lower the price, end up cranking up production to meet demand and make a lot more money and have more loyal customers again instead of a bunch of pissed of people that are now saying FUCK Dodge !

There's a lot more involved than just "cranking up production". Suppliers are capacitized to make a forecasted number...to make more they need more tooling which takes time to get in place. You can't make more cars until the last supplier is ready so it's not a simple task...then there's the general production capacity issue at the supplier (ie. If they can even make more if they had more tooling). Trust me....the brand managers and vp's know exactly how much money and how many sales they are missing out on...the order banks tell them that....

No what would have been sensible would be thinking they come out with the most hp muscle car and sedan to date and they didn't expect a overwhelming demand lol sounds like the ceo and his crew missed a couple night classes at the local community college

if I had 9000 sold orders at 65,000 each every other car would be halted till the 9000 units were delivered

This assumes you have enough part capacity to run all 9000 vehicles at once and keep up with line speed. See my note above about supplier capacity and tooled volumes.

Either way, they had to make an estimate. They would have either been too high or too low with demand expectations. Better to have more demand than expected than less and be stuck with product that would not move. More positives associated with underestimating than over estimating.

Parts go obsolete all the time. Something as tiny as a capacitor on a circuit board that dims lights going out of production can and has stopped assembly lines for months.  Parts are purchased months before they are even made, and those production lines are probably retooled for other parts by the time the first company realizes they underestimated the demand for the first part, so turning the knob up to 9000 isn't as easy as pie.

I'm not sure the error here was in underestimating the demand or not limiting the number of units. Either way it's a cluster fuck.

They would have had a lot less headaches if they followed their first estimates of 5000 cars in total for MY2015, but then they got greedy and took all of them into the system and never told the dealers they couldn't make that many, part shortages have plagued the HC production almost from day1 and the black hood fiasco just shows they were not ready to release the option when they did....

It's just like when they promised all these custom parts for the Darts and there's not a lot out for them or how about the scat pack packages. Just another FCA fuck up

Wait:

Tim Kuniskis: No Production Limits on Hellcat Models
Dodge CEO Tim Kuniskis was quick to announce at the debut of the 2015 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat that reports of the Hellcat Challenger being limited to just 1,200 units was totally incorrect. He said that with both the 707 horsepower Challenger and Charger, the company plans to build as many as they can sell so if they receive 600 orders for the Hellcat Challenger and 800 orders for the Hellcat Charger – they will build 600 Hellcat Challengers and 800 Hellcat Chargers for the 2015 model year. Along those same lines, if Dodge receives 2,500 orders for the Hellcat Challenger and 2,900 orders for the Hellcat Charger – they will built 5,400 Dodge muscle cars packing the supercharged 6.2L Hemi.

So we can't trust what the CEO of Dodge tells customers?

A friend of mine is a 40+ year Dodge fanatic and he is royally pissed and disappointed that he ordered his Hellcat in August of last year with an October delivery date and still doesn't have it.  I think he has 6 or so 1970 Mopars, a 392 IE, and he's about to cancel his order on the Hellcat and ask for his $5K deposit back I believe.  Amazing Dodge screws things up this badly and stays in business really.  I was interested in a Hellcat a few months ago, but after seeing all the frustration, I went back to modding mine and glad I did.

Wait:

Tim Kuniskis: No Production Limits on Hellcat Models

Dodge CEO Tim Kuniskis was quick to announce at the debut of the 2015 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat that reports of the Hellcat Challenger being limited to just 1,200 units was totally incorrect. He said that with both the 707 horsepower Challenger and Charger, the company plans to build as many as they can sell so if they receive 600 orders for the Hellcat Challenger and 800 orders for the Hellcat Charger – they will build 600 Hellcat Challengers and 800 Hellcat Chargers for the 2015 model year. Along those same lines, if Dodge receives 2,500 orders for the Hellcat Challenger and 2,900 orders for the Hellcat Charger – they will built 5,400 Dodge muscle cars packing the supercharged 6.2L Hemi.

So we can't trust what the CEO of Dodge tells customers?

A friend of mine is a 40+ year Dodge fanatic and he is royally pissed and disappointed that he ordered his Hellcat in August of last year with an October delivery date and still doesn't have it.  I think he has 6 or so 1970 Mopars, a 392 IE, and he's about to cancel his order on the Hellcat and ask for his $5K deposit back I believe.  Amazing Dodge screws things up this badly and stays in business really.  I was interested in a Hellcat a few months ago, but after seeing all the frustration, I went back to modding mine and glad I did.

I do truly believe the demand caught them off guard. Hell, the Chevy dealers here are still sitting on ZL1's that they thought they could sell at a big markup, and after the first small rush, they still have cars on the lot. I was pretty sure that all the guys sending deposits to online dealers were going to be disappointed. Still haven't heard what is the cause of the limited production. It's my understanding that it is a materiel issue. 

There are 2 big issues I have seen with Hellcat deliveries

1. Cars ordered with Satin Black Hoods - Should not have been released for order until it was able to be shipped.

2. Cars ordered at Non-SRT dealers with no allocation. Customers have ordered cars from regular Dodge dealers who are not SRT dealers. These dealers don't seem to have received allocation yet they took deposits. With the black hood in process now, this would be the only reason I see someone who ordered so early not getting a car.

I heard it was supercharger supply but who knows. My buddy ordered 5 Hellcats so I guess 10 folks can get ready to get in line.

Why did your buddy order 5?  Dealer, or to make money on?

Probably to flip them.  He deals in cars, all Mopar, and always has several on hand in some state of sale or restoration.  He was gonna let me borrow one to drive around in for a while so I'm bummed too lol

He ordered all of them from a SRT dealer and put deposits for all, and was guaranteed to get the orders.  So far, nothing.  He's starting to wonder if maybe his orders went to higher clout clientele but who knows.

Probably to flip them.  He deals in cars, all Mopar, and always has several on hand in some state of sale or restoration.  He was gonna let me borrow one to drive around in for a while so I'm bummed too lol

He ordered all of them from a SRT dealer and put deposits for all, and was guaranteed to get the orders.  So far, nothing.  He's starting to wonder if maybe his orders went to higher clout clientele but who knows.

I would think that someone who orders 5 $70,000 Challengers, would be considered a "higher clout client".

Not if Richard Petty or somebody like that is in tight with the dealer and orders from them all the time.  It was just a conspiracy theory thought on why none of his showed up.  I think he'd be more understanding if he had at least gotten one of them.