Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
turbofreek

Crank Throw Con Rod Diameter???

Wondering what the dimensions are of the crank where the connecting rods bolt to the throw of the crank is?? How close to 2.10 is it? Can one be ground down to take a small block chevy rod in place of the mopar size ones??

I ask as i just found anew in box of 6.2 billet rods for 2.10 crank small chevy for a great price

They use chevy rods all the time......2.55 is the actual journal though.

Woops....those are the mains....getting rods now.

Looks like 2.125. Will verify once I get to the shop unless someone else pipes in.

Looks like 2.125. Will verify once I get to the shop unless someone else pipes in.

From the 2009 service manual the crankshaft rod journal is 2.125 to 2.126 for a 6.1 (the 5.7 just showed 2.126).

Yup, 2.125 is correct

Wondering what the dimensions are of the crank where the connecting rods bolt to the throw of the crank is?? How close to 2.10 is it? Can one be ground down to take a small block chevy rod in place of the mopar size ones??

I ask as i just found anew in box of 6.2 billet rods for 2.10 crank small chevy for a great price

I found a good price on a set also but did quite a bit of research on them and found that quite a few had issues with the rod bolts coming loose....enough to where I passed on the ones I was looking at

The ones im looking at are a friends who didnt use them. Not in an ad anywhere. Arp 2000 bolts fwiw

.025 isnt all that much to take off i guess. Wonder how much thst would effect the strength of the crank and its hardening process??

That 2.100 journal deal doesn't pan out too good without proper heat treating. In the beginning before we had any support that was the thing to do. All the broken cranks I saw all started at the oiler. I'd suggest getting a set of 2.250 rods. The only person I know that has successfully pulled off the Chevy journal s time and time again is Stu, but not without a very steep learning curve. He always had a thing for a top guided motor which I didn't care much about.

Thank you much cam. I was wondering about the heat treat issue of taking that much off the journals. Probably just order a damn 3.8 crank and be done.