Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Goehner

Keep An Eye On The Hellcat Engine

28 posts in this topic

Alb440 noticed his Hellcat Challenger was down on power, not using the black key ever :) Then pulled in somewhere, power steering went out.

Appears the balancer basically came off. Ruined the crank, new engine under warranty on the way.

hellcatbalancer_zpswollmdts.jpg

One out of 6000 plus, I actually thought there may be more since they are not keyed or pinned.

Actually I have heard of a few of these already.....I am sure there are more. If it were my car I might get the pulley pinned.....lol

Sounds like the first upgrade might be a balanced with key????

If it's like the 6.1 crank there is no key way in the crank so the only option without pulling the crank would be to drill & pin it.

The hub on that factory balancer looks kind skimpy, especially on a motor with a blower. 

OK, I may be having a senior moment, but aren't these cars electric power steering?  Not sure how that's related.

As for the rest, first year growing pains.  I hope Al can find someone to swap engines for him lol

OK, I may be having a senior moment, but aren't these cars electric power steering? Not sure how that's related.

As for the rest, first year growing pains. I hope Al can find someone to swap engines for him lol

3.6, 5.7, 6.4 do have Electric Power Steering. Hellcats do not.

Keyways are not designed to hold torque. I've sheared them on blower applications before. Knowing what kind of durability tests the OEMs do, I'm surprised this is happening. If its just a handful of cars, it could be an assembly issue at the plant.

J

they can key the fuckin oil pump but not the balancer! im in a bad mood, just changed an actuator on wife 12' Charger with 37k on it! Fuckin click,click,click,click plastic pos. The top one on the driverside.......

if they check cranks for pinning for warranty purposes, not putting one in from the factory would help save their butts on their end. only explanation i can think of