Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

RTWildChild

Rpm Transmission Install

162 posts in this topic

Recently, busted the stock transmission on my 2014 Challenger R/T 5.7 345ci. After weighing out options, I made a decision to go with an RPM Level VII 6spd Standard Transmission. It was purchased on June 30th and received August 7th (yesterday).

c4db59934e452159563caaa87988491f.jpgeacfe851801bc238ad36f8df4189cce6.jpg

I'll also be able to install my Fidanza flywheel, which didn't go on during my recent RXT clutch install due to dowels not coming w the part. *Long time scratching to the head and headache* until I decided to pic up the phone and call HHP who sent me pics and at that point noticed dowels were supposed to come with the part based on the pic.

The LEVEL VII TR6060 six speed transmissions includes:

*Media blast transmission case

*Hand fit sliders and hubs

*Assembly to our specifications

*Bronze fork pads on all gears 1-6 including reverse

*Micropolish by Performance Metal

*Bronze shifter bushing when applicable

*Transmissions fitted with pump are upgraded to ZR1 pickup tube

*Carbon blocking rings

*Cryogenic tempering

RPM had really great customer service with discussing all specs of my application and following up before shipment to confirm specs again. *making sure I had a 26 spline clutch to match up to the 26 spline transmission*

My dad and I will be putting it up on the lift and installing this upcoming weekend. Fingers crossed that it will be simple as I think it should, BUT something always seems to come up. lol. Time will tell.

Thank you to RPM, HHP, & Speedy for the help/information to go for this transmission.

Any feedback (positive or negative) is welcome on what may occur or need to look out for prior/during install.

Nice! Mine is limping along until I have the opportunity to send it to RPM for a rebuild.  Removing/replacing the transmission is a pretty easy task with two people, and probably even easier with a lift.   Have fun, and let us know how it goes!

My 6M was swapped out for an RPM Vll about 4 years ago and have not had a single issue with it at all. I have beat this thing senseless at times and Sunday cruised it and it has worked flawlessly. A pure 10 in my book.

My 6M was swapped out for an RPM Vll about 4 years ago and have not had a single issue with it at all. I have beat this thing senseless at times and Sunday cruised it and it has worked flawlessly. A pure 10 in my book.

Hell yeah! Exactly what I'm looking for, my stock lasted 29k miles of beating before it said no more

I think you'll be happy.  I found the RPM guys to have great customer service.  The install is pretty straight forward, just double check the measurement for the throw out bearing.  My original RXT clutch was too short and I had issues.  Had I measured I could have avoided them.  Lesson learned.  The throwout bearing has a specific range it has to be in.  I'd also replace the throwout bearing with a new one while you're there.

The install is pretty easy.  The hardest part, for me, was getting to the bolts above the bellhousing.  There is a metal plate back there that holds a wiring harness, so pay attention to that.  I also put in a QuickTime bellhousing at the same time and had to fiddle with the starter opening a bit to get it to fit as well.  A few swipes with a burr wheel and it was good to go.

I think you'll be happy. I found the RPM guys to have great customer service. The install is pretty straight forward, just double check the measurement for the throw out bearing. My original RXT clutch was too short and I had issues. Had I measured I could have avoided them. Lesson learned. The throwout bearing has a specific range it has to be in. I'd also replace the throwout bearing with a new one while you're there.

The install is pretty easy. The hardest part, for me, was getting to the bolts above the bellhousing. There is a metal plate back there that holds a wiring harness, so pay attention to that. I also put in a QuickTime bellhousing at the same time and had to fiddle with the starter opening a bit to get it to fit as well. A few swipes with a burr wheel and it was good to go.

Thanks for the information speedy, I'll keep an eye out on it during tomorrow's install.

Also jw, for those that have these transmissions or aftermarket at that, will it be "quiet" so to say over stock or will I hear some type of "whining noise" or anything like that from the transmission?

Damn online forums got me on this question and thought ide ask the pros. Just so I'm not freaking out thinking I did something wrong; IF there is noise outside of the stock transmission.

Ty again to those who have chimmed in.

It'll be up on the lift this Saturday, the day can't come fast enough... Really wanna see how this fidanza flywheel is gonna react as well.

Going with a 13 lb wheel ?

Always a good idea to measure clutch to TOB clearance and add a spacer between trans TOB to tighten it up if necessary. I set mine right around .120 some guys say .200 is good enough.

It's no louder than the stock unit.  You might find it actually shifts easier.  On the track, it's a no brainer.

It's been 3+ years since I ran mine, but I was happy with them.

HS

Successfully got the combined flywheel and clutch on finally! Dowels missing previously seems to have been the culprit to not allowing proper alignment/fitting.

03c4883a93a9e5a0f83380111279801c.jpg

6cbd7ebdf8b5fc19ae028bbf67395471.jpg

Wanted to change the throw out bearing BUT no local stores had any and dealership wouldn't have the throw out bearing for another week, so gonna take my chances and see how much further this one will go, shouldn't be to bad; I hope.... :/

309e20ca03e7e56eff99079b18399d80.jpg

Still not done and holding fingers crossed that everything else fits correctly.779476efc66654c153a13c6c7aa45cba.jpg

1962f2d6113a4738830cefff105a9f8f.jpg

Make sure the new trans has all the needed solenoids installed. I had to swap one over from my original, I think it was the reverse lockout.

Yeah, I had to do the same with the swaps. Everything is installed and running perfect!

I uninstalled the trans and bell housing together thought ide put back the same way... :s whoop haha both still went on perfectly, always time for new things to be seen.

I can't be happier with this transmission and clutch/flywheel combination, shifts feel like butter!

827f16e7a48fcbf3aa8d533468766702.jpg

Never saw anyone install a tranny and bell together.

Really? Havent put one in separately in almost 30 years......unless it was an old mechanical linkage 4 speed.

Really? Havent put one in separately in almost 30 years......unless it was an old mechanical linkage 4 speed.

Well there you go E. Other than this one once I did em 40 + years ago :)

Glad it worked out. I swear the RPM trans shifts better at WOT than it does just cruising around town.

Thanks, it was a hot SOB in San Antonio but the lift and tools my uncle had made it a pretty straight forward install. 7-8 hrs it took including an oil change.

After the drive around town I just took, I will second that on the shifts at WOT vs. the norm driving. Me and some buddies plan on going to the track this weekend, so I'll be trying her out from a dead stop all the way through fourth. I think the lighter flywheel changed up some of the gear ratio. Also pretty sure the transmission and clutch are transferring more power at once or something, just feels like a stronger pull through the gears IMO.

Glad I can just finally continue my tuning of the cam/mods I have, damn codes keep being thrown and running into limp mode. Hopefully I will be able to get hold of one of the two tuners I prefer to get a new updated tune from before the track this weekend. They seem to have been busy a bit, completely understandable though after seeing what they've been doing lately.