Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

RTWildChild

Rpm Transmission Install

162 posts in this topic

That sounds a lot like the symptoms of the clutch not disengaging fully.

^^ Yep.

I'm running the Willwood 600+ stuff in mine.  It was the first thing McLeod recommended to solve my issue.  They thought the fluid was overheating at the track preventing my 3-4 WOT shift.  Turned out the clutch wasn't disengaging at high RPM.  My theory is that at high RPM the clutch discs expand due to centrifugal force enough to prevent disengagement.

Ok, I can agree with this. Jay's explanation makes senses. So what do I do? Am I make too much power for the clutch (My logs show 13 lbs. of boost) or am I shifting to fast?

It's not power or shifting. It is the amount the throw out is traveling to disengage the clutch. There have been many problems similar to yours, mine, Speedy's etc and they all seem to be disengagement related. When these aftermarket clutches are installed the travel and air gap has to be measured and spacers need to be added if the throw out isn't travelling far enough on its own. I see you have a Ram, are you using the stock throw out? I used the instructions from the Ram site to measure my Mcleod as they seemed to be the most geared towards the modern clutches/transmissions. 

It's not power or shifting. It is the amount the throw out is traveling to disengage the clutch. There have been many problems similar to yours, mine, Speedy's etc and they all seem to be disengagement related. When these aftermarket clutches are installed the travel and air gap has to be measured and spacers need to be added if the throw out isn't travelling far enough on its own. I see you have a Ram, are you using the stock throw out? I used the instructions from the Ram site to measure my Mcleod as they seemed to be the most geared towards the modern clutches/transmissions. 

Yes, I have the RAM 10.5 clutch and I replaced the throw out bearing when I did the clutch upgrade. I also removed the orifice in the throw out bearing line and that made a huge different. Erik at BFNY Performance installed the clutch after I cooked the stock one at VMP.

Yes, I have the RAM 10.5 clutch and I replaced the throw out bearing when I did the clutch upgrade. I also removed the orifice in the throw out bearing line and that made a huge different. Erik at BFNY Performance installed the clutch after I cooked the stock one at VMP.

If Erik did it I wouldn't be worried about the install then. Seems like the same symptoms of the disengagement problem though so not sure what it would be

I thought Mike (Ost) solved this problem with howies car. Or at least designed a solution. Or am I wrong? Again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They did, but my setup is pretty custom, so I'm not sure it's applicable to anybody else.

We did come up with a solution to the clutch disengagement issues on Howie's car. Contrary to popular belief, shims will not do anything unless your throwout bearing is reaching it's limit of expansion at some point in the clutch throw. I know it's not what the internet claims, but believe me, I have hours upon hours into Howie's clutch and transmission setup.

The solution is an adjustable TOB. You won't be buying it for the adjustability but for its extended throw. Unfortunately, McLeod does not make an extended throw TOB for these cars and I had to fabricate their Mustang one to fit. Once this was installed in Howie's car we had significantly more clutch disengagement and our WOT shifting issues were gone. Let me know if anyone in this thread needs one as they are a one-off piece.

We did come up with a solution to the clutch disengagement issues on Howie's car. Contrary to popular belief, shims will not do anything unless your throwout bearing is reaching it's limit of expansion at some point in the clutch throw. I know it's not what the internet claims, but believe me, I have hours upon hours into Howie's clutch and transmission setup.

The solution is an adjustable TOB. You won't be buying it for the adjustability but for its extended throw. Unfortunately, McLeod does not make an extended throw TOB for these cars and I had to fabricate their Mustang one to fit. Once this was installed in Howie's car we had significantly more clutch disengagement and our WOT shifting issues were gone. Let me know if anyone in this thread needs one as they are a one-off piece.

I'm interested, how much?

What is the stock vs adjustable extended throw travel?

I'm interested, how much?

The 1400 Series bearing is $589 from McLeod but we can get them for less. I think a fair price for a modified piece with the proper hardware would be $580 plus shipping and your core TOB.

What is the stock vs adjustable extended throw travel?

The adjustable is advertised to add another 0.120" to the stock TOB expansion in the Challenger. It doesn't sound like a lot but it definitely is. 

Here is how I tested the McLeod TOB against the stock TOB

Stock TOB in trans with trans in car. Shifter out and driveshaft off. With the trans in neutral I would reach through the shifter hole and try to turn the output shaft by hand. I would then slowly press the clutch pedal until I could turn the output shaft. Rinse and repeat for the McLeod TOB.

Stock TOB - only when the clutch pedal was buried into the floor could I turn the output shaft. Even then it did not spin freely. As soon as I would stop spinning it the output shaft stopped.

McLeod TOB - I could start to spin the output shaft at 3/4 of the clutch throw. Once the clutch was on the floor the output shaft spun freely and would continue to spin after I let go of it.

so, if shims under a stock TOB don't have an affect on the disengagement, would putting in a master cylinder that moves a greater volume of fluid cause the stock TOB to travel further?

You are correct. However, from my research aftermarket clutch MCs are only available for Corvettes, Mustangs, and Camaros. It does not look like something that can be easily adapted from one of those cars either.

Looks like the closest thing they have is for the Ford Tremec. It may bolt up (ours didn't) but it probably wont come with the right fittings to go to the factory clutch line. Please correct me if I'm wrong though!

RPM just called, trans has been fixed back to brand new. Should receive it on Tuesday. Hoping to install it on Saturday cause I'm flying out Sunday.

If not, I'll need to wait till December to install when I get back from a business trip in Vegas.

I'm honestly starting to think, putting the Fidanza Flywheel behind the McLeod may have given me to much clearance. But then again when I called McCleod to double check they haven't had a problem with the fidanza and McCleod combo. But could be wrong, wanted to throw it out there. Calling McLeod Monday to confirm details and see what they have to say.

If you are looking for lightened flywheel and clutch Mantic worked for me no issues at all and boost kicks in a lot faster.

Hoping the hays clutch and lightened flywheel work as well as Mantic.