Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

RT_6Speed

Suggestions: Ram 1500 Vibration Issue

30 posts in this topic

Looking for any suggestions...

New RAM 1500.  It had 300 miles on it when I bought it.  Drove it but did not get it on highway or above 55.  First time I get it to 60+, particularly between 63 and 66 mph it shakes and shimmy's bad.  Vibration is in the seats, floor, console but is not transmitted to the steering wheel.  I, the service manager, and one of their technicians all think its coming from the rear of the truck and you can see the bed shaking.  Technician, when driving it, even commented on how much the bed shakes at that speed.

I took it to a tire shop I've known and used for 20+ years.  They pulled the tires off and re-balanced them.  Did not change the condition.  Dealership service manager and technician drove it and agree something is wrong.  They swapped wheels and tires, did not change the condition.

I've looked under he truck, don't see anything obvious.  Drove it down the highway stopping and letting air out of the tires.  Recommendation is 39lbs.  At 34lbs each tire the problem is noticeably reduced but still there.

There is a TSB for 2014's "Powertrain/Driveline/Driveshaft":
Dodge, on certain trucks when at speeds between 50mph and 75mph, from the rear of the truck vibration can be felt.  Model 2014 Ram 1500.

I can't find the actual TSB to see if there is a recommended solution or fix but this site shows 2015's as included and the fix is to replace the rear shaft.  My dealer, however, says they've never heard of this TSB and can't find it.

Looking for suggestions or if someone can point me to the actual official TSB so I can take it to the dealership that doesn't know anything about it.

This is the TSB information... trying to find the actual TSB document so I can take it to the dealer... mine's a 2015 with excessive vibration from the rear...

sb16.JPG

That TSB may be your problem but I thought I would throw this out. The tech that works on my car at my dealer told me he had a customer with the same vibration. The customer had been to two other dealers and still had the vibration. My tech finally found the problem...the bolts on the drive shaft trans yoke were loose. Truck only had a few hundred miles like yours so it was assumed they were never tightened at the factory.

I have a 2014 2500 and have the vibration. There is a whole long list of people on the Cumminsforum that have the same problem. Some have had tires, wheels, rotors and driveshafts etc changed with no luck. Some have been told by dealer, "it's a truck, its supposed to ride like that"....lol. I haven't taken mine in yet because they will just blame it on the lift......

That TSB may be your problem but I thought I would throw this out..the bolts on the drive shaft trans yoke were loose. Truck only had a few hundred miles like yours so it was assumed they were never tightened at the factory.

That would definitely cause an issue... I'll check those before I drive it again.  For some reason reminds me of the Challenger recall for the front spindle nut being missing ;)

I have a 2014 2500 and have the vibration. There is a whole long list of people on the Cumminsforum that have the same problem. Some have had tires, wheels, rotors and driveshafts etc changed with no luck. Some have been told by dealer, "it's a truck, its supposed to ride like that".... lol. I haven't taken mine in yet because they will just blame it on the lift......

Yeah, I've been reading the RAM forums and figured out this is a fairly common problem that a lot of folks are complaining about.  I've had a lot of suggestions including one from my brother-in-law who is a diesel mechanic and former Dodge mechanic, who happens to own a 2013... he said to get the factory tires off it as they are crap. 

Sticker calls for 39lbs air in the tires.  I let the rears down to 32lbs and drove it.  The vibration is substantially less.

Yeah, I'm with you on the air just masks it.  I've had two RAM owners that I know, and generally trust, tell me today that the tires that come from the factory are shit on the 14's and 15's.  Still having a conversation with the dealership over potential fixes. 

Many guys have had the factory tires replaced. Ram points finger at Firestone, Firestone points finger at Ram game. Although ,some guys did have a bad batch of tires that didn't balance right. And even after being replaced, road force balanced, they still had vibration

No issues on my old 2013, or my current 2015. Tires are Goodyears 275-55-R20. They are the same as what I had on my 2006, 2008 2013 and 2015 trucks. I've never had a balance issue with them.

Did you talk to the dealer about the rear driveshaft TSB listed above? Sounds like it fits your issue and covers 2015s... The Service Bulletin number or NTHSB ID number should be all they need.

J

I got my 15 in March and it's got 24k on it now and zero issues like that. BUT, I've picked up a clunk when loading the diff just like a bad u joint. Turns out I can watch my dif rotate about 5+ degrees when loading/ unloading. Everything looks fine with the four link but it's a wtf deal for sure. She'll be going back to the dealership for this one. And I have no doubt they'll blame the air bags for the problem.

Many guys have had the factory tires replaced. Ram points finger at Firestone, Firestone points finger at Ram game. Although ,some guys did have a bad batch of tires that didn't balance right. And even after being replaced, road force balanced, they still had vibration

I've had several RAM owners tell me they had the same problem and tires other than those from the factory fixed it... they did swap the tires with another truck on the lot and that helped some.

Did you talk to the dealer about the rear driveshaft TSB listed above? Sounds like it fits your issue and covers 2015s... The Service Bulletin number or NTHSB ID number should be all they need.

I got the actual TSB and my truck was made after the issue was identified and resolved by Dodge.  Mine sure acts like that's the problem.

The tire swap helped quite a bit but I can still feel it in the floor, console, etc.  For now I'm just going to drive it and will replace the tires around 25,000 and see what that does.  Not too worried about it at this point since I'll keep the warranty intact for this one ;)

I believe there was a bulletin on the rear differential Pinon nut being loose ...maybe check the status of that one on your truck at the dealer .

I put new tires on mine and that helped quite a bit.  There's a shit load of service bulletins for driveline vibration issues.  Some are axle related, some a driveshaft and they all depend specifically on the build date and plant. 

Hey RT_6Speed, any updates about your truck?

Putting new tires on it helped significantly.  It still has more vibration than a Dodge mechanic and I both think it should have.  However, the service manager, who apparently doesn't know shit from shinola about mechanics, thinks its "about normal" for a 4x4.  Its tolerable and seems to be getting better the more miles I put on it - or I'm just getting more used to it.

This discussion exactly captures a problem I've had now with TWO Ram 1500's.

First one was a 2014 Crew Cab 4 x 4, Longhorn edition.  Hemi, not sure what rear end it had.  Dealer worked at it for months, balanced the tires several times, rebuilt the rear end, balanced the driveshaft.  The drive shaft balance helped a little but in the end they couldn't figure it out and told me "it's a truck".

Since I bought it used, had brought up the issue before I bought it, and they told me they had fixed it, I negotiated a very good trade for a new 2016 Crew Cab 4 x 4, Ecodiesel, Longhorn edition.  This one has the 3.55 rear end.  It has developed the exact same issue.  It's in the shop now for its second oil change and I have asked them to look into it.  They've road force balanced the tires and tell me it's better and that the rest of it is due to the tires (BFG All Terrain TAs, very highly rated tires...)  We shall see.

Over all my service visits, I've driven several demos, the last two of which had the 3.21 rear end with Hemi engines.  They were smooth as glass.

It really doesn't seem like anybody knows how to tackle this problem.  It's annoying at best, and in my opinion if a vehicle is shaking as much as mine is, it can't be good for its long-term durability.

If the tire balance doesn't smooth this thing out, I'll continue to push on it.  After the first truck, though, I think the service guys are starting to think I'm a little nuts...

jb

I found this thread via a google search.  I have the same problem with my 2014 Ram CC 4x4 hemi 8spd with 3.92s.  I'm at 33,xxx miles now and have just put up with it until recently, figuring it was the crappy Goodyear SRA tires that it came with.  I haven't taken it to a dealer for this issue because the dealers around here are horrible, I treat my warranty as catastrophic failure insurance, if I can fix something myself with minimal time and money and not have to deal with a service department then it helps me keep my sanity.

Anyway, the vibration, it occurs at any speed over 60mph and sometimes it's worse than others, it's a vibration in the floor, the seats, and the center console, when it gets bad enough I see the back corners of the bed jiggling.  I figured it was the factory tires until I had them replaced a few weeks ago and the problem persisted.. actually the problem got slightly worse because the new tires are of a higher load rating and are running just under 50psi..

Things I've noticed so far; when I towed my boat BEFORE I installed airbags in the rear springs the back end would squat quite a bit, a few inches, and the vibration would go away completely..then with the airbags no longer allowing the rear to squat as much, the vibration came back.  It's the same load in both instances, a 6,000lb boat and trailer with roughly 600-700lbs of tongue weight.  Since the vibration seemed to disappear when the back end squatted more I am inclined to think that this has something to do with incorrect pinion angle.

That's good feedback.

On an older leaf-spring truck, a couple of degree shims under the leaf packs would be a quick and easy test.  I haven't considered how to do that on the newer coil-spring trucks. ??

That's good feedback.

On an older leaf-spring truck, a couple of degree shims under the leaf packs would be a quick and easy test.  I haven't considered how to do that on the newer coil-spring trucks. ??

I agree, with the non adjustable 4 link and coils there really is no way to change the rear pinion angle, at least not without buying adjustable control arms or lowering the truck. I still need to crawl under mine and actually check the pinion angle at both ends and see where it's at.

Also, to add to this, I have a friend with a 2012 version of the exact same truck as mine, albeit with more miles.. When we park our trucks side by side, mine's a couple inches taller front and rear.. Now I know there were minor changes over the years to the chassis but it had me wondering.....maybe the coil springs are stiffer, making the ride height higher, which would throw off the pinion angle?  I mean, I doubt FCA would have changed the 4 rear control arms to account for a little higher ride height.. They probably already had millions of them bought and didn't want to throw them away. lol.  Just more "what ifs" to go with the possibility that it's a pinion angle issue.

Well, the shake continues.  Last Friday I rotated the tires front to back, unbolted the driveshaft from the rear axle, rotated it 180*, and bolted it back up, then I put it back on the ground and checked the pinion angles (which are good).  The first test drive after this the shaking was worse, same shake in the rear, seats, and floor... At this point i started thinking that maybe it's possible that the oem tires weren't balanced well and neither were my new ones.. so yesterday I took it to an Autotire that has a Hunter Road Force Balancer and had the rear two tires road force balanced.. The tech said they were "way off" which i'd agree with my seeing that on one wheel I went from a strip of (8) 1/2oz weights down to (2) 1/2oz weights.. The shaking is less pronounced than before, but it's still there, it's basically what it was before I rotated the tires. 

I'm still at a loss.  If it were a bent axle then the rear brakes would be pulsing since the rotor wouldn't be  spinning true, same for if there were something keeping the rotor from sitting flush against the end of the axle.  So I guess the next step is to pull the driveshaft and get it balanced, which sucks because the only nearby driveshaft shop has M-F hours and I work M-F and have no other vehicle to drive.  I may just take a day off, drive up there, remove the DS in the parking lot, and carry it into them if they can check it right then. lol.