Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

RT_6Speed

Suggestions: Ram 1500 Vibration Issue

33 posts in this topic

A couple of thoughts based on some of the conversations in this thread...

1... Throw a heavy load in the box to get the suspension to squat. If it smoothens out, it would narrow it down to the pinion angle or tires.

2... I'm not sure what transfer case you have, but if it happens to have a flange output instead of a slip-joint, pull the rear driveshaft and take it for a drive in 4wd.

3... If the front driveshaft spins at all times, try pulling it off and go for a drive in 2wd.

??

Wonder if they put in a higher rate coil in the rear when they started offering the crew cab and 6.5' box in the 1500's? And just use that coil in all of them? My 16 Crew/5.5' bed 4x4 is vibration free, have held it at 110 for miles, its actually stupid how good it will hold the road and be smooth over 100mph. You dont know you're going that fast until you look at the speedo.

Wonder if they put in a higher rate coil in the rear when they started offering the crew cab and 6.5' box in the 1500's? And just use that coil in all of them? My 16 Crew/5.5' bed 4x4 is vibration free, have held it at 110 for miles, its actually stupid how good it will hold the road and be smooth over 100mph. You dont know you're going that fast until you look at the speedo.

Firefox is acting retarded^^^^^^^

Very helpful thread. Thanks for the comments. 

I just bought a 2012 Ram 1500 4x4. Till 75 mph it runs smooth no vibration. Over that, I can see the passenger seat vibrating and the water bottle in the console whips itself a mini tsunami. No vibration can be felt on the steering wheel though. 

Taking it back to the dealer tomorrow. Will print out the wheel balance info thanks to 345_CHLNGR. 

I knew it! don't trust everything that says smart, it might be smart for someone else not you!. 

Cheers. 

I recently got a 2017 ram 1500 Hemi 

and I’m having the same issue with vibrations, between 30 to 60s miles/h 

dealer told me that balancing will be the solutions but still there after the fact...

its so annoying.... 

is there any recall or actual fix for this problem ? 

Thank you!

I have owned a 2013 Ram Hemi for a couple of years now.  For the past 6 months my truck developed this same vibration, it shows itself by shaking the Hell out of my center seat console.  I replaced with new tires, different rims, and replaced drive shaft, rear shocks,  still no change!  Dealership told me to try elsewhere, damn quitters!!  I hate driving the truck now, mainly on the highway.  I am amazed at the similar complaints on this forum, I only wish it could be solved!  

i have had this vibration for 75000+ miles. if you know how to use a dial indicator, go to harbor freight and get one, i checked the slip yoke coming out of the rear of the transfer case and had 9 thousandths total indicator runout. i removed the transfer case split it apart and had the main shaft checked on a lathe, the whole shaft is either bent or twisted 9 thousandths. it is noticibly bent when watching it on the lathe, currently waiting for the replacement shaft to put it back together

20190722_222121.jpg

Hey everyone,
I too, have a vibration at highway speeds...and I am looking for any possible solutions. Mine starts at 65mph, you feel in in the seat but not the steering wheel (it gets pretty bad around 71mph). Anyhow, the dealer and I have made numerous attempts to correct it but nothing has worked so far. See my list in order below:
1. Tires balanced (at Just Tires) nothing
2. Tires road-forced balanced at Dodge Dealer (Capital Dodge) nothing
3. Tires balanced again at a tire specialty shop. Along with truing the tread. Basically like putting your wheel on a lathe. Shaved off high spots in the tread (make the tire perfectly round). None of this worked.
4. Purchased new tires (Cooper Tires) wanted to get away from the Goodyear's. However, this did not work either.
5. Replaced rear shocks...nothing.
6. Took it to the dealer. The service manager felt the vibration, and was pretty sure it was the driveshaft so they replaced it. That didn't do it, so the dealer replaced the axle shafts next. Again, no luck. Dealer recommended replacing the rear rotors. Even though the ones on there were only a year old or so, I agreed to it. But that didn't fix it either.

All of this was within the last month. I just picked up my truck about an hour ago. The drive home still had the same vibration...very frustrating to say the least.

My truck is a 2015 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie. Luckily, its still under warranty (at least for a few more months) but I have also forked out about $1500 on items as well (tires, brakes and shocks) in hopes to fix the vibration. So I am at a stand still right now. Any ideas you might have...would be most appreciated/helpful.

Oh yeah, one other thing the dealer did was to take off 4 wheels from another truck that rode fine and put them on my truck. We both went for a ride together (service manager and I) but the vibration was still there. So that pretty much eliminated my wheels and tires.