Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Ivoidwarranties

Whippled 405 Jeep Srt8

143 posts in this topic

I’ve been playing with the engine for the last several weeks.  Here’s a picture of it mostly dressed up. 

405dressed_01.jpg

Any chance you have any straight on pics of the front idler bracket set up for the Whipple ?

Any chance you have any straight on pics of the front idler bracket set up for the Whipple ?

If this doesn't work for you, pm me and I will send you my cell number and text you what ever you are looking for.

20lqpKu.jpg

We decided to switch up the head gaskets right before we installed the heads.  Dave Weber suggested we use the MLX so we made a trade and he got us a set real quick.  I had a couple questions about the heads so I shot Craig at Thitek an email and within minutes he called me on the phone.  I called him a couple times later and he was there to answer my every question.  I can’t thank him enough and express how impressed I am with his service and his product.  He was even emailing the next day with additional information.  Dave is always a text away and Chris Boegler continues to answer the phone at MMPG despite having caller id and knowing it’s me calling.

We re-measured the quench area and piston to deck height to be sure all the numbers added up to what we were going for.

RPvqoYx.jpg

Here’s my Pop’s gapping the plugs.

5ZeMLoc.jpg

D7XLfPr.jpg

The headers installed and torqued on the Thiteks.

l5foHYa.jpg

rONlxOV.jpg

ARP studs are in and the heads are torqued down!

M6Q42pd.jpg

x4EOBSz.jpg

59OHezt.jpg

Plenty of room.  I don’t know what everyone always complains about.  (That was in sarcastic font.)

2vB9iFB.jpg

If this doesn't work for you, pm me and I will send you my cell number and text you what ever you are looking for.

20lqpKu.jpg

That is exactly what I was looking for, Thanks. I will be mocking mine up for some fitment idea and this pic confirms some of my thoughts.

Motor looks awesome !

Those look slick!

I really like the looks of them, Hope the breather system works as well as I'm hoping it does and I don't need any catch cans or other crank case ventilation.

The transmission is in.  The torque convertor is bolted up.  The starter is in.  The heads are torqued.  The wiring harness is starting to go in. 

Still doing little detail projects.  I kind of forgot about this piece.  It’s the torque convertor access cover and when we pulled it out it was covered in grime, grease from the front differential, and road salt.  I threw it in a plastic bag with the intent of cleaning it up later.  Went to put it on and ended up spending an hour cleaning it up with the wire wheel and painting it.

PhqDYaQ.jpg

I decided I better service the transmission before we put the rest of the exhaust in.  I wanted to change the transmission fluid out, put in a new filter and install a drain pan with a freakin’ plug.  And I pulled the valve body out to swap to my other Stage II valve body for some testing.  Should be a like for like replacement but my first valve body is proven and I love it.  The valve body that came with the transmission is also a stage II but I haven’t been completely happy with it yet (maybe the tuning wasn’t dialed in correctly yet for it). 

2ftnHz2.jpg

Whipple has some serious belt wrap. I wouldn't think it would have belt slip issues.

There's a couple guys out there trying to run a 17% od damper and a 2.75" pulley and getting belt slip.

Let me tell you a little of what I learned about tensioners over the last couple months.

The stock Mopar tensioner usually does just fine on a naturally aspirated Hemi.  When throwing a blower on the thing, the stock tensioner doesn’t cut it any more.  The Whipple kit and the Magnuson kit both included a Dayco tensioner.  I had great luck with the Dayco on both applications.  I think the ProCharger kits might even come with a Dayco.  There’s the Thumper tensioner out there but I’ve heard mixed reviews on it and it’s not cheap.  Then there’s the GT500 tensioner.  Most of the supercharger guys running heavier boost end up with these sooner or later. 

I was happy with my Dayco until I tested it’s travel with the 17% overdriven damper installed.  The Dayco hits the damper before full travel.  I did not know of this problem.  I called Nate at Demon Performance and he gave me a lesson in broken tensioners.  Demon has an adapter plate for the GT500 which clocks it away from the damper to give it proper travel.  The GT500 tensioner also allows me to run any size belt I want to (rib wise).  Apparently this problem was discovered a few years ago though not many people know about it. 

This is not the correct belt size but you can see that the stock or Dayco tensioner will contact the 17% over-drive damper.

E8OxVMR.png

Nate sent me a GT500 damper and an adapter plate.

jpaLPoc.jpg

The Dayco and the GT500 tensioners side by side.  I was running a procharger pulley on the Dayco.

oyggVio.jpg

How the stock and Dayco tensioners naturally mount.

N85xrWI.jpg

How the GT500 with clocked adapter plate mounts. 

vUagghI.jpg

GT500 tensioner at full travel.

WPB1Moj.jpg

I did not like the look of the GT500 tensioner so I smoothed out the all the casting marks and raised lettering.

U9uEuNN.jpg

Then I painted it black so it looks a little different even though it will never be seen.

OfYuCUC.jpg

Good info on the tensioners.  I've got the Dayco on mine with 17% OD damper, with proper belt and don't believe mine's ever made contact, but good to keep an eye on as belt wears etc.

What is the diameter of the PS pulley? Would a smaller one make like any better?

The 17% OD balancer is already over speeding the power steering pump, wouldn't want to go any smaller. Joelvan has a PS pulley kit that is larger diameter to slow the PS pump back down when using the 17% OD balancer, it comes with a bracket that moves the pump out for more clearance.

What is the diameter of the PS pulley? Would a smaller one make like any better?

The stock p/s pump pulley is about 4.875" depending on how you measure it but we want to go larger not smaller.  It's already going to be 17% overdriven by the damper and we want to slow it down.  We are working on something for a fix.  I'll post more on it when we are further along.

Finished installing the driveshafts and the headers are now connected to the Corsa cat-back.  These pipes are huge.  The extra O2 bung was installed in the perfect location (lucky guess on my part).  There looks to be good clearance everywhere and the only issue I have is they will never be seen.  They look awesome.

pJeFKNZ.jpg

And the valve train is in.

sXRBx87.jpg

I53Ldnq.jpg