Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

ProchargedB5

Procharged 6.1

30 posts in this topic

I haven't been on here for a while. I been busy with family matters..the car has been on the back burner. I'm wondering what I can do to make more power on this stock block before I forge it? Car has a d1 on 8lbs and a exhaust it's a 6 speed. I'm wanting to take advice from the guys who have done this and know what's up. I'm thinking when I forge it going modern muscle drop ins and some nitrous. Thinking about a meth kit as well. Any advice appreciated thanks

first get an auto......otherwise leave it stock block on h8psi. And no I'm not being a dick.....just trying to save you thousands in heartache.[/quote

Believe Erik on the 6 speed. We had a 09 SRT8 6 speed for 2 yrs. Tried racing it. 6 speed tranny not made for racing. We sold ours and bought 10 SRT8 auto. Best thing we ever did.

Ehh, there not THAT bad... I've been racing mine since 2009 (425+ runs) and haven't broken it yet with a Procharger (since 2011) running 8 or so pounds of boost.  From what I recall you have to be well into the 10's before it starts twisting the input shaft, or shearing the gears.

ET hands down to an auto, though.

I'm hungry for more then the 550whp I have. I want a 700 to 800hp street monster in the end. I love the 6 speed guys nothing like it but I want more power for sure. I want to push this stock block until I forge I'm thinking a cam may be next

I love mine, yes I would like a little more power out of it to hit my goal of 11.50 for the qtr. Only looking for a 10th on 8 lbs of boost and rowing the gears is fun for me. If I did it all over again I would do a A/T but don't see that happening in the near future. 

Meh auto makes it too easy. My 6 speed runs like a champ and I click off 10.8x runs pretty consistently now. It did take a lot of practice to be able to do that though. So much so the driving has become habit. THAT'S what it takes to have a quick 6 speed.

Where do you get your power goals from? You mention 800rwhp. What made you decide on that number? What are your current track times?

There may be a lot better things you can do than adding power which is why I ask.

I'm thinking 700whp on blower and 800 on the gas when needed. I want a versatile street monster. I like standing mile events and the airport roll races. I would do quarter mile drag as well idea would be 10s. On 8lbs of boost and adding a cam I wonder what gains I would get? Like I said I'm going drop in forge internals eventually just trying to get the most out of the stock block for now.

Why do you need that much power on the street?  Speaking from experience I prefer 500-600whp on the street vs. 800-1000.  Like Erik said...an auto conversion will result in way faster ETs than any other mod you could do to your 6 speed.  Ask me how I know, lol

I don't daily this car. With that kind of power I can still drive it on the street when I want since its boosted. I'm going for versatility. It's been fun with the 550..but I have always wanted to build a street monster. The little town I live in its coyotes, evos, and camaros..I have a friend with a ctsv that makes almost 800 that thing is fun. I'm the lone wolf with a challenger build I like to make this big girl hold her own if I go to events with my friends. I guess I will just plan on the drop ins first if the cam is kinda iffy. I don't want to buy a new short block if I'm already at my limit on the stock block. It won't be set on kill mode when I drive it on the street anyways. I keep hearing swap it to auto lol

Anything over 600 on the street will be a waste.  I always hear of all these "guys" with 800RWHP Mustangs, Camaros, Corvettes, you name it and they keep their dyno sheet in their glove box to show everybody at the car show.  I invited some of those guys to come to ChallengerFest and none of them ran better than mid 12s at 115MPH.  No way those cars are really making the kind of power they're claiming.  Are your buddy's cars walking off and leaving you now?

Here's one such example.  My buddy who had a dyno sheet well north of 600RWHP on his Cobra with a built motor, Whipple, blah blah blah.  That's me in the right lane with about 550RWHP at the time on M&H DRs.

800RWHP on the street will just be a tire spin show and that's no fun as you'll get your ass handed to you left and right by lower power cars.  Even at 600 I had to go to a Nitto 555R tire just to get any kind of traction.  Those hold my 600RWHP on the street, but just barely.

LuvMyRT from this forum and I hit the track together A LOT.  We have very similar builds and very similar horsepower.  His car is an auto and mine is a M6.  His usually runs .3 - .5 faster than mine no matter what.  So figure on a .5 gain swapping to an auto considering near perfect driving.  The guy that tunes my car says I'm shifting as fast an an auto according to the data logs, but there are just some funky computer programming differences that put the M6 as an indefinite disadvantage.  Auto swap is about $6K though give or take and will really only matter at the drag strip.  In mile racing, it will make no difference and I think you'll have less issues with a M6 in those types of events as you won't have the rev limiter problems I see a lot of the auto guys have.

I'd carefully consider what you're doing before you just drop another 200RWHP in to the car.  That's a lot of money to spend for little to no result.

I appreciate the knowledge. I have a buddy with a 630whp cobra and he will pull on me. I'm running a 275 gforce 2 and they spin hard on the street. I want to get the most out of the car that's for sure. I upset a lot of people how it is set up now..those coyotes with blowers pull me they are at 600whp most are autos. Just wondering what direction to go. I'm a good driver but I'm not in your league with those shifts speedy I need lots more seat time. At 600whp you have that thing moving. I'm trying to get this 6.1srt rolling hard

My philosophy has pretty much been to only upgrade for two reasons.

1.  Necessity - I've maxed something out and can't get any more from it.

2.  An amazing price or when it makes sense due to labor reasons.  For example, when I upgraded the clutch I had a chance to get an RPM built trans at a decent price and decided to swap both since the trans had to come out for the clutch.

If you're already in to the motor for forged pistons, it wouldn't be too much more work for a cam, but you may wanna talk to a few folks, and your tuner, first before going that route.  The 6 speed cars have issues with cams and tuning.

If you do drop in pistons, that should easily let you run 12 or 14 pounds of boost which should put you in the 700+ RWHP range pretty easy.  I'd do that and see where it puts you and go from there.  I see too many guys throw everything and the bathroom sink at the car and never get it sorted.

I'd skip the meth.  I'd only fool with that on a setup that didn't have an intercooler.  I actually have a kit in my garage from Coolingmist for my supercharged 4Runner waiting to be installed for just that reason  (blower and no intercooler), but wouldn't put one on my Challenger.

No matter what you're going to need some DRs fro the street.  I've been REAL happy with the Nitto 555R.  I had Nitto Invos on the back in a 295/35 and could spin them at 80MPH no problem.  The car was really dangerous like that as the ass end would be all over the place.  With the 555R it hooks up nicely.  I went with 305/35s there and had to just a touch of fender liner massaging but nothing major just heated with a heat gun and quenched with cold water to reshape.

I thought the 6.1 6 speeds wasn't hard to tune with a cam? Since they are non vvt. I been thinking 700whp may be tops if I want to keep it six speed. I like to see how far I can take that combo at full weight. I was thinking meth for added insurance? but if it's a waste it saves money not getting it. I think the ho kit I have I could benefit from a better intercooler? I been patiently waiting to see someone make huge power in a 6 speed hellcat and it hold together.. Or possibly hit 9s if that's possible lol.

I have a 6speed also and the tuning ( correct me if I am wrong ) is all when the clutch is depressed which you don't control after you push the pedal vs a auto which is all computer controlled

I still have this damb high idle issue 1200 till I come to a close to stop then it drops

With 3 different tuners including who speedy uses and I know it is a 6 speed issue that is know through out. While the mechanics of the trans is straight forward the tuning is not always as such.

6 speeds are hard to tune period.  Chuck has a decent cam in his 426 with Edelbrock and 6 speed and I think he still has a few oddities.

Ask around to really understand what's what before diving in to that.  With just the boost added you'll be where you want to be.

I'd leave the regular FMIC in and swap it to a higher out put one if you see the IATs warrant it.  KISS.

No idea how long the stock trans will last at 700RWHP.  Mine was perfectly fine after YEARS of abuse with 600.  I only changed it because I came across a good deal like I said.  My stock clutch would slip at the strip and I picked up a 10th with the McLeod.

If you do the drop ins and nitrous you'd be about where I am. I run a d1 with nitrous. About 710hp @13lb and over 800 with a 75 shot. Sounds like that's what you're looking for. This is a 6 speed 392. I did a cam/heads/tb/longtubes at the same time as the drop ins. Upgraded to a McLeod clutch but ragged on the tranny pretty good a few times over the summer at the track. Had a few tuning issues at first like hanging idle after getting off the highway. Maybe due to being a 2015 and using hp tuners back in May...idk. But like they mentioned above it takes skill to push the 6 speed fast down the track. I didn't have that and got frustrated missing gears already threw in the towel and have a th400 being built.

I may stay away from the cam then.

I don't want the tuning issues..especially if I can make the power I want without it. I worry about iats with any build I have done that's why I asked about the intercooler. I hope the trans will last a while at that power level. That 2015 you have sounds like a fun ride that's the power I want to make for sure. Can you tell me what the limits are on those drop ins? Also speedy how dis you manage to keep that trans and stock clutch alive for so long? That's insane

I'm not sure to be honest.  I never side step the clutch and kind of finesse it off the line, that may be some of it.  I also gave up on the DRs at the track pretty early and went to a slick which has "felt" easier on the drive train due to side wall flex.

I honestly wouldn't have changed the trans if it hadn't been at just the right moment to make sense.  I'd have slapped the McLeod in and gone about my business. 

I think these cars are a bit tougher than folks think as well if you don't get too crazy with the launches.

The main thing I worry about now is the Getrag diff.  Mine's still stock.

Shel should be able to give you some good data on IATs.  Mine get right at 200° F at the end of the quarter in mid 60° F air.  Seemed to be about the same in 90° air as well <shrug>.  That's on my Maggie at 14psi.  I can tell in my data logs that things are happier below 190° but I'm willing to push that extra 10° to max out the combo.  I just make sure I'm running good 109 octane fuel.

If I were going to hot lap the car I'd probably pull 2° of timing or so out of the race tune just to be on the safe side.

Good info. I worry about the rear in my car as well. You have a solid 10s street car can't ask for more then that especially in a stick. My car will see the track at different events it gets roll raced a lot. I have a hop knot kit and need to do something so I can fit a larger tire. I see you maxed you're setup out. You going to do anything else? I'm just going to do drop ins and new fuel system and clutch. And of course supercharger pulley. I figure I'm about to drop a good 10k

I'm another one of the 6 spd hammer heads. lol Hopefully I will see just how much the 6spd is going to put up with behind the new motor & blower. Should be close to 700 rwhp with room to grow. Most of my racing will be standing mile in Beeville so hopefully it will last for a while.

I'm another one of the 6 spd hammer heads. lol Hopefully I will see just how much the 6spd is going to put up with behind the new motor & blower. Should be close to 700 rwhp with room to grow. Most of my racing will be standing mile in Beeville so hopefully it will last for a while.

What's your setup? I like seeing all these 6speeders coming out and sharing there builds