Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Ivoidwarranties

8 Or 10 Rib Pulley Setups? Any Info Out There?

28 posts in this topic

I'm interested in an 8 rib pulley setup for a 6.1L Hemi.  I would prefer a 10 rib as that is what all the Ford's and Chevy's were running the Whipple's with at PRI but an 8 rib would be a nice start. 

What is the most current info out there concerning any 8 rib pulley sets.  I read that some people said the AC compressor bearings were failing and were blaming the stress added by the tension.  I read that Mr. Norms had a kit at one time.  That's about all I found out so far.

I'd really like to try and run my Whipple using a 8 rib belt.  Who can I talk to? 

Whipples at PRI.

PRIwhipplebelt_02_1.jpg

PRIwhipple_02.jpg

PRIwhipplebelt_01_1.jpg

So are you having belt slip issues on a 2.0 whipple with a 6 rib set-up ? Just curious, I haven't heard of anyone pushing them hard enough yet to have belt slip issues.

With the 8 rib set-up's that were available the a/c compressor seemed to be the biggest, the pulley being further out on the shaft away from the front bearing caused excess load on the bearing was my understanding. I'm sure over spinning them with a 17% OD damper didn't help in most cases.

I know SHR has done 8 rib setups on a couple whipples. About $3500 for the setup. I have checked it out and it's a very solid setup.

Chuck any chance you have some pic's of those 8 rib belt set up's on a 2.9 Whipple ? I haven't seen one.

I seen SHR post a picture of a whipple last night on facebook with an 8 rib setup and that's what prompted me to start this thread.  I'll be calling them in a few days after the holiday.

I have not had belt slip yet but I haven't pushed it yet.  I do plan on pushing it as much as possible.  Modern Muscle has just done a 2.9L on a WK2 Jeep and they had belt issues with the 2.75" pulley.  They were having belt slip or shredded a belt and had to go back to the 3.00". 

I plan on giving Mr. Hughes a call next week as well. I'm wondering if different size pulleys could be made as well. Such as, if I'm running a 17% OD, can I run a 10% larger pulley on the alternator or A/C compressor, or even the P/S if I spaced the unit out correctly.

Man that's a lot of coin for some pulleys to get a couple more psi.  Do the pulleys really cost 50% of what the whole supercharger kit costs?

I just had a 2.50 custom made pulley ($90) Carbonite coated for anti slip ($100) that I plan to test in the spring.  If that works out it may be a solution for you as well.  I plan to run the Carbonite pulley with a new belt at the track only.

I think that many of us former Techco guys learned the problems associated with custom aluminum pulleys on a big(ish) blower. I think pretty much every one of the ones that Russ had made failed. Then again Techco did not have a great setup for mounting the upper pulley.

I can see where moving everything to 8 rib could be pricey. Power Steering, Alternator, A/C Compressor, Idlers, Tensioners, Balancer all needing to change and all being pretty much custom unless there are 8 rib substitutes already developed.

I do wish Whipple had an independent setup available.

This is what I know or at least what I think I know:

• The 2.9L Whipple is pretty great for my tastes and what I want in a supercharger. 
  • I have a motor that should be able to handle whatever the Whipple can give it, even maxed out.
  • I've heard of a few others running 17% od and 2.75" but I don't know if they have been successful or not.
  • I know the Modern Muscle crew put the same supercharger on a WK2 Jeep and made great power but started to get belt slip or started shredding belts when they went to the 2.75" pulley.  They went back to a 3.00" pulley.  They are also running a 17% od damper.
  • I can see a little room for improvement in the idler mounting bracket that might improve belt wrap but that would require an entire new bracket to be cut I think.
  • An 8 rib setup is 33% more contact area than a 6 rib.
  • An 8 rib setup is super costly and the success rate is in question.
  • I plan on running the 6 rib as of right now but I wanted to explore my options. 
  • I have emails and phone calls out there waiting for some more feedback.

This upgrade wouldn’t just be for a couple more pounds of boost.  It would be for a consistent and reliable boost curve.  That’s maxed out of course.

This is what I learned yesterday after taking to SHR.  I have yet to get ahold of DTP. 

I talked to Jimmy at Southern Hot Rod.

• They have a system of pulleys they sell for $1500. (for the 6.1L's)
  • That does not include the pulley for the supercharger, the idlers, the damper, or the tensioner.
  • They use a GT-500 tensioner.  Although they didn’t use any type of adapter which confuses me.
  • The ATI damper would either need to be replaced or possibly sent back for refurb.
  • They say you can order Whipple pulleys with 8 ribs, just make sure the extra two ribs are towards the front.
  • The water pump is delicate and the seal will fail if pressing the old pulley off and the new pulley on is not done properly.
  • The alternator is probably the easiest to do followed by the p/s pump.
  • The A/C pulley is the biggest problem.  There are different pulleys for the 6.1L vs the 6.4L and about four or five versions of the 6.4L depending on year and vehicle (the A/C units are all a little different).  Just the A/C pulley for one of the 6.4L is $1400.  There is one A/C unit in that 6.4L lineup where they haven’t gotten it to work yet (keeps failing).  The A/C pulley is might or might not be tricky to install.  They say it’s not for the weekend mechanic but online videos make it look not so bad.

I called ATI.  We would unbolt the damper at the six torqs bolts (torqs 40+) and send the shell assembly in to be re-shelled.  That way we would not pull the hub or effect the oil seal.  About $20 labor plus the price of the new shell. 

I talked to Dennis at Whipple and the supercharger pulley would be the same pulley they use on the 03-04 Cobras. 

I hope to get some more information from Brian at superchargersonline and Brent at DTP next week.

If they're charging you 1400 for an ac pulley they're smoking fucking crack

l

Agreed. I think all of these guys making pulley kits are overcharging because they can.

This upgrade wouldn’t just be for a couple more pounds of boost.  It would be for a consistent and reliable boost curve.  That’s maxed out of course.

This is what I learned yesterday after taking to SHR.  I have yet to get ahold of DTP. 

I talked to Jimmy at Southern Hot Rod.

• They have a system of pulleys they sell for $1500. (for the 6.1L's)
  • That does not include the pulley for the supercharger, the idlers, the damper, or the tensioner.
  • They use a GT-500 tensioner.  Although they didn’t use any type of adapter which confuses me.
  • The ATI damper would either need to be replaced or possibly sent back for refurb.
  • They say you can order Whipple pulleys with 8 ribs, just make sure the extra two ribs are towards the front.
  • The water pump is delicate and the seal will fail if pressing the old pulley off and the new pulley on is not done properly.
  • The alternator is probably the easiest to do followed by the p/s pump.
  • The A/C pulley is the biggest problem.  There are different pulleys for the 6.1L vs the 6.4L and about four or five versions of the 6.4L depending on year and vehicle (the A/C units are all a little different).  Just the A/C pulley for one of the 6.4L is $1400.  There is one A/C unit in that 6.4L lineup where they haven’t gotten it to work yet (keeps failing).  The A/C pulley is might or might not be tricky to install.  They say it’s not for the weekend mechanic but online videos make it look not so bad.

I called ATI.  We would unbolt the damper at the six torqs bolts (torqs 40+) and send the shell assembly in to be re-shelled.  That way we would not pull the hub or effect the oil seal.  About $20 labor plus the price of the new shell. 

^^^

(You can ship your current shell back to ATI an they will cut the two additional needed grooves in it for $60, I had two of them done. )

I talked to Dennis at Whipple and the supercharger pulley would be the same pulley they use on the 03-04 Cobras. 

I hope to get some more information from Brian at superchargersonline and Brent at DTP next week.

I talked to someone at whipple and he told me that I needed to order the 8 rib pulley made for the camaros because they have the same offset.  Hope that's right because I already placed my order.  I'm hoping that by upgrading to the 8 rib kit this will solve my belt issues ( snapped a gates green HD belt after only being on for maybe 6 months and 1,000 miles).  Also still have some tensioner issues, but the GT 500 tensioner with the adapter plate has worked fairly well.  Maybe with the new 8 rib kit my tensioner issues will also be solved too.

I'm using the 8 rib pulleys off the 03-04 Cobra Whipple setup.  That's what I was told a couple years ago and still working.  Don't know about the Camaro offset, maybe they are the same.