Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

turbofreek

Anyone Port Their Own Heads Before?

im debating on just cleaning up my heads port casting some. i figure i could get some better flow out them really easily if i did this. just wanting to get rid of the rouch lips and spots in the heads. i have to put them on a press anyways to make room for the injector at the top of the intake port anyhow. so i might as well clean up the ports while im at it.

what kind of flow can i expect from my eagles with this? may smooth the port flush to the valve seat as well. just using a drimmel and sanding pads to do so. nothing overly abrassive so i dont remove to much. i figure i may gain 10-15cfm mid range doing this.

i did a set of pre eagle heads with a 6.1ish port and got 327 cfm.  i think if you got rid of the casting lines and what not and maybe take away some material where the pushrod hump is you'd get some decent numbers. but get a good valve jobe and blend the valve job to .200 smaller than the valve size would be great.

I'm sure you'll get 320 or more cfm out of them. One thing.....be sure you don't touch the short turn radius. No smoothing, nothing on the short turn. I've learned the hard way......that is the fastest way to screw it up a set of heads. Haha

Don't touch the area around the valve guide either. The spring seat doesn't have much support anyhow, don't make it worse. Also opening up the bowel will increase your flow number but drastically reduce velocity. For your application it probably won't hurt you in the least, but NA kills it below 5000.

6.1 but the eagle is even thinner

thinner where? i was lead to believe the eagles had more meat than 6.1s in the spring cup area. i just want to remove the casting roughness.

what do you guys mean by short side? what i was going to do the say ill increase flow to around 370@600 on the bigger 6.1 bore. id expect 350 on my 5.7 bore or close to it. need to make me temp flow bench for before and after perhaps.

i am also more concerned with exhaust flow over intake. as im shoving air in but i need it to get out.lol

the intake side i have to add injector pocket at the top of the ports like the old 5.7s have but do this to my eagles.

thinner where? i was lead to believe the eagles had more meat than 6.1s in the spring cup area. i just want to remove the casting roughness.

what do you guys mean by short side? what i was going to do the say ill increase flow to around 370@600 on the bigger 6.1 bore. id expect 350 on my 5.7 bore or close to it. need to make me temp flow bench for before and after perhaps.

i am also more concerned with exhaust flow over intake. as im shoving air in but i need it to get out.lol

the intake side i have to add injector pocket at the top of the ports like the old 5.7s have but do this to my eagles.

The short turn radius is the transition on the port floor where it turns into the seat area. All of that area you don't want to touch at all. 350-370 cfm will require a full porting by a accomplished porter. Btw....the exhaust side is no more important on a turbo motor than the intake side. A lot of folks seem to take that approach with blower motors too....but I know from personal experience that is not the case on a turbo motor. That's why turbo cams don't usually run large exhaust lobe areas like blower motors do. Turbo cams are usually 235/235 on a 114 or something along those lines.

i am aware of the exhaust difference but i think these heads hurt more on the exhaust side than intake. that was more my saying or reasoning.

i screwed around with my older 5.7 heads and decided im not fucking up my heads.lol if i had better tools than a drimmel i woule but im not spending money on tools ill use once only. so ill leave it all be and just loom forward when i buy thitek next year or so.