Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Teddyp

Apache Heads Worth Porting Keeping N/a????????

105 posts in this topic

I still can't get over the $4400 cam install

when I was talking to AJ today he mentioned specifics about the cam. First of all the cam, I'm assuming is custom ground at his specs, is $800-$900, just for the part. No labor, and no other parts. He said you don't have to change out the lifters and push rods with the 6 speeds but he does. He explained to me that just recently he has been finding, can't remember if he said if it was the lifters or the bottom of the push rods, that the cam lobes were causing the bottoms of one of them, to wear a little prematurely. I was surprised to hear this. With that he said that is why he changes lifters, rods and what ever else in the valve train he sees fit with stronger, better parts. So I guess if you were to itemize the parts, job hours @ labor rate, and dyno tuning, it figures. Again, if AJ said that's the price, I know it is with out a question. I would drop off any Chrysler product that I owned to this man and NEVER have a single worry.

why not....cam for a VVT is almost 1k by itself, springs, lifters if it's auto or high miles,timing set labor,tuning and dyno time. This ain't a small block chevy.

Oh yeah.....and the piece of mind the fuckin thing works right.

why not....cam for a VVT is almost 1k by itself, springs, lifters if it's auto or high miles,timing set labor,tuning and dyno time. This ain't a small block chevy.

Oh yeah.....and the piece of mind the fuckin thing works right.

And beyond that operating a ligit shop in Long Island ain't cheap. Overhead and insurance really adds up

Indeed it is a tough pill to swallow, however I will provide a breakdown of what is included.

1) New VVT Cam core custom ground to our specs

2) Hardened Pushrods .080 wall

3) New HELLCAT Lifter assemblies

4) Cam Phaser Limiter

5) New Valve Springs, retainers, locks, and locaters

6) New Headgaskets, Valve cover gaskets, Front cover Gasket

7) 180 Deg Thermostat

8) New Headbolts, Cam Bolt, Crank bolt

9) Antifreeze, 2 oil changes, and 2 oil filters

10) Dyno tuning 

11) Installation Labor 

Keep in mind we run a tight ship over here. We have a full service Facility with 2 technicians and an infrastructure modeled after our experience working a high volume Chrysler Dealers for over 15 years. We just cannot afford shortcuts that will result in doing it twice and damaging our reputation. Our clients want results not excuses.

Hope this helps

AJ 

Indeed it is a tough pill to swallow, however I will provide a breakdown of what is included.

1) New VVT Cam core custom ground to our specs

2) Hardened Pushrods .080 wall

3) New HELLCAT Lifter assemblies

4) Cam Phaser Limiter

5) New Valve Springs, retainers, locks, and locaters

6) New Headgaskets, Valve cover gaskets, Front cover Gasket

7) 180 Deg Thermostat

8) New Headbolts, Cam Bolt, Crank bolt

9) Antifreeze, 2 oil changes, and 2 oil filters

10) Dyno tuning

11) Installation Labor

Keep in mind we run a tight ship over here. We have a full service Facility with 2 technicians and an infrastructure modeled after our experience working a high volume Chrysler Dealers for over 15 years. We just cannot afford shortcuts that will result in doing it twice and damaging our reputation. Our clients want results not excuses.

Hope this helps

AJ

I can vouch for this.

I agree with you.

I paid no where near that for cam, lifters, springs, pushrods, timing chain etc + labour (heads pulled) + tune.

Just saying..... not meaning to step on any toes....

Stevo

So how much was it? What was the breakdown? It's just a tick under 2,000 in parts plus labor, plus fluids, plus tune and dyno. What does the shop charge today for that job to someone off the street?

Thanks

AJ

I agree with you.

I paid no where near that for cam, lifters, springs, pushrods, timing chain etc + labour (heads pulled) + tune.

Stevo

Said from a guy they has #4 piston ready to go boom

Oops sorry stevo

I agree with you.

Stevo

didn't all the parts come from Andy? There's a reason he's out of business. You'll never see prices the cheap again.

Can't go wrong with AJ knowledge and experience. He truly cares about putting out nothing but the best for his customers. I can't wait for the tracks to open again so i can make some more passes on the Whipple. I told AJ i wanted to hit 11S and i hit 10.96 on the start tune. I can only imagine what it will run, now that AJ has dyno tuned her. Thanks AJ

lol never happen, you know me by now Jay. I'd rather let the cars do the talking ;)

Thanks

AJ

. Aj Mine talks rather well around town or on the strip.. Will be in touch soon for another round, just have to remember to stay of that dam northern park way on the way down.. Will be in touch .

Mark

Well it's an oddball core to start with due to the vvt. I am sure they hardly sell any in the grand scheme of things, and I am sure the cores are probably only made by one company.

I agree with you.

Stevo

Stevo:

You pulled the pin here you can't sit on the grenade. Can you please clarify for the group?

Thanks

AJ