Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Teddyp

Apache Heads Worth Porting Keeping N/a????????

105 posts in this topic

lol. If you guys even had the remotest clue what and avatar means and who's in it. That one fingered salute was directed at a vendor who drove the price of engine builds down to "giving it away" prices. Lone since out of business, but it's funny Andy was in it only to take over the game afterwards. No one likes to pay what they consider too much money. But you can't run a business without charging accordingly. It's the way it is. Far too many guys around the Hemi boards bought in cheap and paid the price several times over by having to rebuild, over n over again.

Would you rather dig deep once and be done correctly or fuck with it continuously and bleed slowly. When I was a contractor I never claimed to be the cheapest guy in town. But in 22 years I never had to revisit a project because of taking short cuts or not giving my customer more then what he paid for in a quality product.

damn kev, why didn't you go to AJ and Eric in the first place. I'm still going to beat the crap out of that 6.1 in April... get that bacon, eggs, and TOAST ready.

Andy was the one that sold me the wrong cam. Eric did right by me. Mike couldn't tune it to my liking and either could Aj.

Aj figured it out after the first log that the cam was to big. Paid True street Performace to take it out and donated it to them.

I put the blower on myself and had Aj Dyno tune it.

Almost afraid to ask. However I want to protect myself and others who don't know him. Who is this Andy dude, is he still on these forums so I can avoid his not so great advice?

Almost afraid to ask. However I want to protect myself and others who don't know him. Who is this Andy dude, is he still on these forums so I can avoid his not so great advice?

OMG, somebody pipe in. Dude was a ........ fill in the blanks. i only had one interaction with him and guess i was lucky we didn't agree.

All that matters is he's long gone and the likely hood of him ever returning is slimmer then winning the lotto.  So it's really not worth typing any of it bud.  You're in great hands with AJ, they'll give you your monies worth and then some. 

When he starts promising you shit on Friday and you're still waiting Monday, start worrying.

But when you get a tracking number it's all better....wait.

I agree with you.

I paid no where near that for cam, lifters, springs, pushrods, timing chain etc + labour (heads pulled) + tune.

Just saying..... not meaning to step on any toes....

Stevo

Hey Stevo are you ready to answer the question yet? I think it's important for the group.

Thanks

AJ

I think the most epic thing about this thread is that it started out with "I just want a cam and heads, do I need to port my Apaches? (don't even try to talk me into a blower because I don't need that)," to, "I'm getting a Whipple in February!"

MMF FTW, once again.

I agree with you.

I paid no where near that for cam, lifters, springs, pushrods, timing chain etc + labour (heads pulled) + tune.

Just saying..... not meaning to step on any toes....

Stevo

Stevo? You there ?

Sorry guys.... just getting caught up. Maybe I jumped the gun a bit. My sincere apologies. Didn't mean to step on any toes.

Only thing I bought from PWR was a Lunati Cam, push rods and PSI springs. Andy gave them to me at cost if I would start a thread and show before and after results. 

I honestly don't remember the exact cost but it was around 500.

I got the head gaskets at jobber price from the dealer.  6.1 lifters $ 260 I got a dealer cost because I gave the Parts Manager a George Washington Challenger poster.  

Fluids n filters $100.

East Coast Mopar had a big sale..... Black Friday or Boxing day..... cannot remember.... got all the timing chain stuff for $106.

There were other parts that did not factor in because they are not part of a cam install. FTI TC, flex plate and hardware. Because the trans came out, the cradle was dropped which made the cam install faster as opposed to pulling heads on the car and cam through the front.

The install/tune/parts was done for just under 3K. Yes... I did smart shop over a period of 6 months and bought everything on sale and were are talking over 2 years ago so I guess some prices have gone up. 

AJ.... I will delete my post. I am very sorry. I will keep my big mouth shut and just read. I have great respect for you and the other tuners that work hard to grow the HEMI community. You guys do an awesome job.

Stevo

BTW.... No 4 is still doing it's job after a dozen mid to high 11 second passes. Would love to travel to the States and get the NAG done but the Canuck buck is below $0.70 which keeps us Canadians at home and not spending $$$ on Hemi parts.

Wait.....the install and tune were just under 3k and the parts look to be right around 1k? That's almost $4k. I DEFINITELY wouldn't classify that ashe no where near $4400.

Right off the bat Andy about gave you the cam for $300 less than average. The timing set is normally about $140. I didn't see what you paid for lifters but you are still close enough that your comment was really ridiculous.

Fixed...

Tune, Parts and Labour was around 3K.

1500 +1500

Look... I apologized.....

Deleted post.....

Sorry I opened my mouth....

Go ahead and flame.....

I waited to see how this panned out before commenting but knew SteveO paid about $3k. I think you guys have beat him up enough.

I know some of you are in this to make a living, but a smart shopper can get things done for much less than retail. I figure it balances out in the end as I know few smart shoppers personally.

No Flame.....just have a serious issue out there with severely undercut prices from less than credible people. Now before you get defensive I am not talking about Mike. He obviously cut you a deal and a half when the parts alone are close to $1500 even at cost. So I know you deleted and apologized but it just pissues me off to no end when someone who doesn't have a clue expresses disbelief for the cost of a job,then someone like you who does understand comes in and justifies the guys thoughts. Unfortunately the parts on Mopars make it expensive enough without having to explain why Joe Bob does the job for $500 in his driveway.

I waited to see how this panned out before commenting but knew SteveO paid about $3k. I think you guys have beat him up enough.

I know some of you are in this to make a living, but a smart shopper can get things done for much less than retail. I figure it balances out in the end as I know few smart shoppers personally.

Speedy:

With all due respect it has nothing to do with being a smart shopper. A $50 dollar and hour labor rate isn't leaving much room for someone operating a self sustainable auto business. Those prices are the guy working out of his garage I was that guy for many years in not knocking it but let's keep it in perspective.

AJ

Here me out.....

Parts should be separate line items.  I typically try to negotiate a bit better pricing based on number of items purchased.  A package deal as it were.  9 times out of 10 there's an agreement met that has worked for both me and the retailer. 

Labor is a completely different ball game.  There are all manner of skill levels out there that usually priced accordingly, although sometimes not.  You do find an occasional not so great shop charging what I consider high end prices.  Rarely is it the other way around.  For me personally, labor is where I'm more willing to pay a premium because I'm a particular customer and expect perfection and know how to see it as well.  I make that clear up front so we're all on the same page.  THIS is exactly the reason I never did anything with Andy.  He and I talked once and he flat told me I was too picky of a customer for him, that told me all I needed to know.

There's a local guy I use for work I either can't do, or don't have the time to do.  His labor rate is about $90/hour and I'm happy to pay it because he's more anal than I am and extremely talented.  I do offer him cash and usually the labor rate is a bit different in that case, again helping us both out.

I love working on mechanical things, but had to get that way because there are very few people who can do work to my level of expectation.  I learned to accept that and that I needed to just do it myself.  However, it is nice to know you can find folks who will do that perfection job, it just costs a bit more.  As a customer you have to decide if you want perfection and are willing to pay for that or not.

Way off topic, but this is MMF after all lol