Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Blue Blur

Spark Plugs Ngk 2315 Or 2314????

Plugs dont look real great, I know I could go leaner but wonder if going from a 2315 to 2314 would clean up my burn enough? I went with NGK 2315's on my 6.1/420 because thats what I read from most forums. Has anyone ran these strokers on 91 octane with better luck with a stock heat range or is it always a step colder the ticket?

Whats the compression ratio?

Most of the time a 2315 or 6509 is happy in a 10.3:1 motor. 11:1 and up I like the 6510 especially if you have high cylinder pressures and big dynamic compression.

Well the 6510's are not happy either, much worse than the 2315's at staying clean. I have converted over to lower fuel psi setup with regulator, 43.5 psi, trying to get cleaner idle. Well I think 91 octane pump gas and 2300ft elev. are my 2 biggest enemy's here. Gonna try 2314's and go from there. 6510's have about 30 miles on them and are black as coal. 2315's were brown/black. Never had stock heat range in so might as well see what happens.

What are you using to tune this? If you are closed loop at idle, it should be targeting Stoich regardless of the plug used. That being said, a colder plug will have a tendency to foul more during cold weather operation. I have used 6510s in a lot of vehicles which get driven year round without issues in lower compression boosted engines (9.0-9.5 compression ratios). I'd look into your cal and try to dial it in some more.

J

That is exactly what I'm trying to accomplish. Using MS3 ecu and laptop. Gonna go to the hotter plugs and get a better baseline and maybe creep back up later. Using 80 lb Siemens injectors. Ran 2315 plugs for 2000 miles and it was great but still not happy when ambient get under 70 at idle. 2300 ft eleven and 11.1 static with pump 91 is not ideal. Old BB didn't like colder plugs either under same conditions.

14.7 is the setting. Idle is 14.3 to 15.0 usually. Im no expert but I dont think this efi is closed loop idle, I think it just does what it can to hit the target AFR. Im probably changing to much at once but im going to the stock heat range plugs and also advancing initial to 15 instead of the 11 it was.

Thats right where it should be. Are you sure idle is where the problem is? When do you go into power enrichment? Also, what kind of Dwell time are you using? Hemi coils are only about 60mj, which is split across both plugs. For reference an LS is 90mj. If you are running dwell times for an LS, it might not be long enough to build up energy in the Hemi coils

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Advancing initial to 15* made a notable difference. It starts better and is cleaner. Gonna leave the 6510's in for a few more miles and see if they clean up. Had to check for leaks after water pump swap and went ahead and loaded some tuning changes without changing plugs. Also took a torch to the O2 sensor to clean the soot off.