Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

RonP

Can't Keep Dss Axle Alive...opinions...updated

31 posts in this topic

So as the title said I have broken my 3rd pass side DSS 1400hp axle. The last 2 were broke on the street as soon as I got into decent boost. The first broke at the line on the track.

The car is a 2010 R/T....within 6 months of getting it, I put the SRT8 shocks, struts and springs all the way around to lower it some. within 6 months of that, I added eibach lowering springs to get it a little lower.

between the two I believe the car is lowered close to 2inch all the way around from factory height.

the only other change that I made right before the axle issues was to add some offset bushings to get the camber better on the back wheels...which it did.

Talking to a few very knowledgeable folks on the board here, the thought is with it being lowered and then the car squatting when the power is put to it, I am getting a bind on that outer joint due to the angle being off so much.

I ran the car a few hundred passes with the 5.7 in the mid 11's with no issues but now with the extra power running low 10's, it seems that I am killing the axles.

DSS as usual, has been awesome and they have fixed it each time.

Looking for input on this as I think I will start by going back to factory SRT8 springs which will raise the car back up a little. Of course I junked the ones I took off so I will be looking for a set of those.

Need to get this right before CF7.

Thanks

It's possible that under full squat the cv is binding, it's also possible that the tire is hitting the frame at full compression.

If you need a set of SRT8 springs I have a set off my 2012.

Hey Ron, I have my car lowered with coil overs and am as well running DSS 1400 hp axles. Also use the offset bushings. I am as well lowered by at least 2". My car is a six speed and I launch hard with Hoosier slicks. 1.5x and 1.6x. Have had no issues knock on wood.

I'm lowered and busted a DSS passenger stub near the wheel last week.  I don't think the CV angle looks so extreme that it would lock up on launch.  Car only drops so much on launch and the angle only changes a little

my guess is length, Changing camber by 2 degrees will affect the length of an axle by about .500 if you send me an email ill explain how to check.

Thank You!! I will send an email and I also talked to Tad today and he told me where to measure. I will get them out and measure both sides at ride height.

Thanks everyone for your input. I want to get it squared away. Embarrassing sitting on the side of the road after jumping on it.... lol

I actually just spoke to Aj about it also and sent him the drawing to show where to measure from, im guess we are just going to have to alter the length. im not sure why but every now and then we see a car needing a axle length different but get the dimension and we can start from there.

I was thinking the camber change may be the culprit.  I've got the Eibach suspension on my R/T and DSS 1400HP axles and have 100 plus passes on them.  I do NOT have the camber adjusters installed.  They've been sitting on my work bench for 5 years and I just never saw the need.  That is the only difference from what I can see.

Think of it this way. Envision the geometry as a right triangle. The corner being the pivot point of the lower control arm, the outer point being the attachment to the knuckle. The Hallfshaft is the hypotenuse. At its normal ride height the length of the shaft is in its center point of allowable travel via the cv joints as its stub shafts are fixed to the differential and the knuckle. When you raise the outter point, it pivots inwards and reducing the length of the hypotenuse (shaft) thereby reducing or removing the allowable travel of the cv effectively putting it in a bind. Camber adjustment is neglable as it will only force the outter stub shaft out tens of thousandths in relationship to the overall length.

Lot of variables here so without knowing details and inspecting the broken parts and looking for witness marks.

Lot of variables here so without knowing details and inspecting the broken parts and looking for witness marks.

So I got it apart and it did appear that it was too short and the axle pulled far enough inward that the ball bearings made a quick exit through the goldish color metal cover. Then the axle was just spinning on that side.

I talked with Tad at DSS a few times and after some measurements he is positive the pass axle is about 1/2 in short now. I made hundreds of passes with the 5.7 and this thing didn't start eating that pass axle with the new motor until I added those camber bushings. Also, the bushing on that side was put in with as much postive camber as it could. (hole to outside). Everything else under the car seems to check out.

I cannot say enough about DSS and their customer service, but you all already knew that.  They are going to check them both for me, and make that pass side axle longer.

Hopefully that is the end of that. Thanks folks.

That's very cool but something must be screwy with you set up for that to have happened. Just chasing my tail here but have you checked you subframe for damage or cracks.

Frank and his team are EXCEPTIONAL to work with.  He's gotten me out of several binds due to customizing my car and the DSS bits have proven their salt in both stick and auto trim....car weighs about ~4500lbs...oinker.  

Hear, hear to DSS...we're lucky to have them support us right from the very beginning....not just once our numbers got high enough to make a big profit.

HS

That's very cool but something must be screwy with you set up for that to have happened. Just chasing my tail here but have you checked you subframe for damage or cracks.

Cam,

I looked at everything the best I could. I hear you but I never had an issue after lowering until I finally put the bushings in. Maybe a coincidence...I don't know.  Where are the areas the cradles crack? I need to look it over real good.

Thanks again

SO I didn't find any evidence of cracks anywhere unless I just completely overlooked it.

DSS rebuilt both axles and they made the pass side about a 1/2 longer. The difference between the 2 is definitely more noticeable now. Got it back together yesterday and it drives great.

I will abuse it soon and hopefully all will be well.

DSS was beyond helpful.