Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

NO COMPROMISE

Sgmp

59 posts in this topic

From the pictures I saw there wasn't too much that can be salvaged, Rob did a great job keeping the car under control and getting it stopped with that much oil going under the car...

^^^^^This!

NHRA is a weird bunch, so where does that fit now that the SS/AH class was formed? Was it Bob Reed who needs to fuck off? Im getting a license plate frame that says "Dodge" "The brand most banned". Nascar is the worst offender, but I shouldnt bitch about NHRA since they have let the Hemi dominate the fuel classes for 60 yrs. Problem is most fans think Forces FC actually is a Camaro.

Well that's a good story in itself. We were racing a 1967 L88 Corvette. NHRA rules stated that the manufacture had to produce 20 documented cars. At the time we were racing only 17 documented cars could be accounted for. Everybody knew at least 20 were made but only 17 could be proved with paperwork. So that's why we got disallowed to run. Again we and some others ran the class for some time but only after we started beating up on the Hemis and Mullet bob did we get tossed.

So in the end we had to drop down to SS/B and SS/C Class. We won the NHRA Southern Nationals with it and were runner up with in in Englishtown at the NHRA Summer Nationals.

SS/A

vette.jpg

SS/B

scan0004.jpg

3C5C73CF-58E8-415E-AD35-D8E1A0C87D8E.jpg

Sorry for the thread jack, I tend to get a little passionate when talking about that car :)

We were racing a 1967 L88 Corvette. NHRA rules stated that the manufacture had to produce 20 documented cars. At the time we were racing only 17 documented cars could be accounted for. 

Slacker :P  I ran a 67 Chevelle SS in 1968 that was L88 equipped.  What a sweet engine that was at that time.  Purchasd the L88 long block from the local chevy dealer for less than $1000, actually closer to $600 if I remember correctly.  Had a tendency to drop valves at anything above 6800 rpm.  It was the local Hemi killer - had a ton of the Hemi Interceptors running around here.

Great looking Corvette.

Back to this thread, Holy Shit - that is serious carnage.  That by far blows away Erik's engine implosion, and that one was epic.  That had to be a masterful job of driving.  Did anyone catch it on video?