Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

GARRETTECH

Clutch Delay Valve On The 6 Speeds?!?

73 posts in this topic

ok, I found this on one of the other sites....and unlike those commie sites, no one seems to mind here when other sites are referenced because there is no fear here

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f180/clutch-delay-valve-469058/

so, its not really a valve but an orifice reduction....which in some cases may be a good thing.....but I have never heard of this on our cars. Any thoughts on this? Seems like a good thing to remove for power shifting. Just hoping to see what other 6 speeders think and if anyone here has deleted this. Maybe it could even help me have a burrito while driving around.

Never heard of this, and always skeptical from info over there.  Sounds easy enough to try if your curious, and just pop it back in if undesirable results.

The post makes absolute sense.  It would also explain the fluid squishing sound you get when you shift fast with hot fluid.

I'll likely yank it when I do my clutch. No other reason to prevent the flow of fluid to/from the throw-out bearing.

Thanks for posting this up.

Obviously it's a real tech, just not sure we have one. I am sure Erik will know. If I get by to look at my motor/transmission I can look. 

AFAIK mine's still in place unless my new TB didn't have it and I have never had any issues speed shifting what so ever, even before the clutch upgrade.

Why would it be there to begin with I wonder?  Not saying it hurts to remove it, just curious on it's purpose.  Bean counters don't include things "just because" lol

My stock system never had one of those things, which makes me think that none of the stock Challengers do. The OP in that thread stated that the CDV came attached to the aftermarket (Spec) slave cylinder, and he was going to remove it prior to install. Then there was 4 pages of speculation, but nobody on there ever confirmed it's present on the stock clutches.

Great responses and yes I can sometimes be skeptical of posts over there. I was also wondering if maybe it was an R/T thing only and not on the SRT. It would almost make sense if that were the case because the housing that the removable piece is in wouldnt have to change....they would just leave the plastic out for SRT and add for R/T. Of course the OP on that thread doesnt specify which he has unless I missed it. After reading that thread I went to my yrusty google machine and found many threads about this on BMW sites. Evidently all the M series cars dont have this but all the other models do. It seems for those cars that are not Ms, this is like mod #1, to get rid of it. Im very surprised this isnt more well known for challengers but then again only challengers get a 6 speed so there are fewer models for this to be found....as opposed to all the bmw models that you can get a stick in. I also found some threads on Dart sites but the CDV is actually more involved

Well that was quick smallblock!! This is why I come here for serious obscure tech questions....within 12 hours someone has disected the freakin part! I did further research on the OP of the thread and he has an 09 R/T and he has done a bunch of shit to his ride....392 cam about 4 years ago, edelbrock SC, 3.73 gears, and PWR heads....a favorite vendor on here lol. So smallblock, what are the chances of getting at ghat thing while its in the car....or is that where yours was, still in the car? Sorry, just saw your trans is out....but question about feasability of removal while its still in the car still applies.

Can't answer that for sure. You might be able to do it with the trans in the car but the nut on the backside will be hard to hold. That being said I wasn't paying attention to it when I pulled the trans all I was worried about was not losing that damn clip holding it together. I wonder what affect it really has. Similar to speedy I don't have issues power shifting but Any advantage helps.

I dont have any power shifting issues for the most part, but i can hear it going in gear from 1-2 and 3-4....almost like a slight whine....I get that fucker in no matter what but I have heard a sound that made me think my timing was off or I was flat out trying to do it too fast. Well if I can get at this while in the car I just may have a weekend project.

I also read that thread over there and was thinking to ask what everyone here thought ?  I have a new DSS drive shaft coming so maybe i will pop that valve out when doing the drive shaft upgrade .

i have my trans out right now but with a new clutch fadanza flywheel going in and new motor i don't know if changing this would be worth it as all the new new i may not be able to tell any difference?

hey blur, I dont know if you were refering to something I said earlier, but I didnt say the SRTs didnt have it.....I was WONDERING if that was the case, that the R/Ts have it and the SRTs dont.....just wanted to clear that up

i have my trans out right now but with a new clutch fadanza flywheel going in and new motor i don't know if changing this would be worth it as all the new new i may not be able to tell any difference?

What clutch you going with?