Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

ChuckECM

Is This A Tune Problem, Or What Is It?

28 posts in this topic

I'm having a problem with my car not starting. The problem began about 3 months ago. I drove about 100 miles and went to a meeting. Right before I got there the ASB light came on, I stopped to get gas, restarted and the light was off. After the meeting, about 1 1/2hrs, I came out and tried to start the car and it would not start. All the electronics were working but not ignition. I waited 15 minutes and it started.

I drove all the way back w/ no problem.

Then it did it a few more times. 4 total - I pulled the #2 fuse and the car started right up.

It did it again so I took my iTune and put the original tune in, than put my tune back in. (Tim@MPH). It ran fine for about 3 weeks. 

It did it again, then 2 more times. Pulled the fuse and started up.

Then after a small trip, It wouldn't start, I pushed the pedal down and then tried to start it. It did not start, so while getting out of the car, it started.

Then this last time, nothing I did would get it to start till I disconnected the battery for 15 minutes.

How can I diagnose this problem? Any ideas. I don't think its a bad CPU because once I get it to start everything works well.

I'm thinking its something in the tune?

Also I notice that overtime the car won't start when I lock the doors there is no chirp. When it is starting, there is. Also when I unlock the car the headlights don't go on when the car won't start and they do go on when the car is working?@#$@$%#$^

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm having a problem with my car not starting. The problem began about 3 months ago. I drove about 100 miles and went to a meeting. Right before I got there the ASB light came on, I stopped to get gas, restarted and the light was off. After the meeting, about 1 1/2hrs, I came out and tried to start the car and it would not start. All the electronics were working but not ignition. I waited 15 minutes and it started.

I drove all the way back w/ no problem.

Then it did it a few more times. 4 total - I pulled the #2 fuse and the car started right up.

It did it again so I took my iTune and put the original tune in, than put my tune back in. (Tim@MPH). It ran fine for about 3 weeks.

It did it again, then 2 more times. Pulled the fuse and started up.

Then after a small trip, It wouldn't start, I pushed the pedal down and then tried to start it. It did not start, so while getting out of the car, it started.

Then this last time, nothing I did would get it to start till I disconnected the battery for 15 minutes.

How can I diagnose this problem? Any ideas. I don't think its a bad CPU because once I get it to start everything works well.

I'm thinking its something in the tune?

Also I notice that overtime the car won't start when I lock the doors there is no chirp. When it is starting, there is. Also when I unlock the car the headlights don't go on when the car won't start and they do go on when the car is working?@#$@$%#$^

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Any stored fault codes?

What year model car?

My 2010 did something very similar when it was only a month old. Drove it to the corner store with no issues, got back in and it wouldn't start. Tried 5-6 times then it just fired up. Went for a week with no issues, jumped in and started it and ran for a minute or so and just died and wouldn't start again. Dealership picked it up and it ended up being the wireless start module, they replaced it and never had another issue.

It's 2009 rt with a Kenne Bell and ported Polished Heads, 6.4 cam, long tube headers, Zautotech.

The inTune is not picking up any codes.

Would the wireless start module throw a code? The car doesn't start with the key as well.

It's 2009 rt with a Kenne Bell and ported Polished Heads, 6.4 cam, long tube headers, Zautotech.

The inTune is not picking up any codes.

Would the wireless start module throw a code? The car doesn't start with the key as well.

I would look into that more. I have also I seen bad tipms cause similar strange issues like that. Not sure if the wireless module would give a fault code

I would look into that more. I have also I seen bad tipms cause similar strange issues like that. Not sure if the wireless module would give a fault code

It doesn't, no codes. Tipms went bad on my 09 Aspen, and have a friend who just had his crap out on his 14 Durango. Exact same symptoms.

Not sure if mine showed any fault codes when the wireless module crapped out but the dash was lit up like a Christmas tree.

On an older car my guess would be the neutral safety switch or clutch switch.  Not sure on these although I presume they still have something similar.  Do the rest of the systems seem to work and just doesn't crank?

I went thru this also.... was about ready to replace the box when I had a no start problem. Towed to the dealer and the found a lose wire in the box.

There was a problem with the TIPM on some Chrysler vehicles, but the LX & LC's were not effected... Link

It pretty much is that it doesn't start. Everything else works, except a few weird things when it won't start. (First post.) Did a scan pick up the problem leading to the wire? Or just a look thru.

Just happened again. after about 10 starts. Disconnected the battery and it started up. Got it home and started it about 7 times in a row w/o a problem. Seems like it has to sit a bit before it happens. I knew it wasn't going to start because the lights did not come on when I unlocked the doors.

Will a scanner find codes if the check engine light never comes on?

Earlier model lx cars are known for the tipm crapping out. I worked at a dealership and saw them come in on a regular basis with the tipm crapped out. Let's just say this....I have a spare in my garage for my car.

Just happened again. after about 10 starts. Disconnected the battery and it started up. Got it home and started it about 7 times in a row w/o a problem. Seems like it has to sit a bit before it happens. I knew it wasn't going to start because the lights did not come on when I unlocked the doors.

Will a scanner find codes if the check engine light never comes on?

StarScan at the dealer will see all kinds of stuff. I had my Jeep in once and it gave an error on one of my radio speakers....they replaced it. I never knew it was broken. lol

Another thought, though our symptoms were a litle different, fried pcm. I think we went through a couple. But we were having limp mod issues as well as failure to start issues.

I think I found it. Thank God and looking at stupid little things.  With this forums help and direction I took a long detailed look at the Front Fuse box. I looked it over front and back and noticed the bolt on the + connections was slightly loose. It was "almost" finger tight, but no where near as tight as it should be. At the time I tightened it down, I didn't think too much, but after I tightened it the car started!!!!!!

I haven't taken it anywhere far, but it has started 12 times in a row now( I've been counting)!

I'll let you know if it continues. Saved at least $350.00+ 

C.