Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Triple Threat

E85 Timing N/a

I've got a carb'd 5.7/392" Stroker on E85 and I'm looking for rough timing figures to help guide me.

2004 5.7 .010 over bore
4.050 SCAT Crank
Scat H beam rods
Custom JE pistons, 13.5:1
Apache heads with some porting
Custom Camshaft 258/264@.050, .620/.630 
Ritter intake, Dominator Flange, short version
Stock lifters and valvetrain
E85 1050 Dominator 
MSD 6 hemi with the 06+ style coils to fire it.
727, 8" Ultimate converter that flashed to 5800 behind my 450" small block

4.10 rear gear for now

29.5x10.5 Slick

First day out on 20 degrees of timing the car went 10.28@131. I plan to start creeping up on the timing, i'm curious what most are running though.

Car is a 3500# 67 Dart.

Careful with the timing, especially with e85.  I ran a 366 CID@ 14.5:1 NA on e85 with a similar cam profile.   I kept creeping up on the timing and the car kept getting faster and no spark knock until I got to the point that I burnt three pistons.  After a rebuild, and tuning by Hemituner, we settled on 21 degrees at wot as a completely safe number and the actual gains above that really were not enough to chase.

e85 does not give you much warning when you go outside the tuning window.  It is so go at preventing knock you just get to the pint it cannot do it anymore and boom.

Bottom line is each configuration will need/allow for a different timing curve and you really need to log, and work with someone that understands the quirks of running e85

I've run E85 for 3+ years now on my other drag engines so i'm no stranger to it. Just curious what others were using with the G3 as this is my first one. I'll creep up on it 1 degree at a time when i do make a change.