Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

HemiSam

Twin Turbo Build Done Right By Hemituner Performance

58 posts in this topic

Thank you for the continued support, ya'll!  It has been one heck of a ride since 2009.  I can't say enough good things about the build and the folks here who have had my back.

I will post up more pics tomorrow.  Had to take care of some honey-do's today...

James - that midplate was made for me by A.J.'s team.  Feel free to reach out to him if you need one.  I know they had to do some customization to get it all together.

HS

Very nice to see you happy Sam.  Car was getting it done at CF7 for it's shake down passes.  Uber consistent, you made it look too easy lol

Hard to believe we've been fooling with these cars for over 7 years now.  Time sure does fly.

P.S. - very clean and excellent engineering to boot.  I wish I had gotten more time to climb all over that car.  Maybe you'll allow me a test drive in October :)

Beautiful build Sam. I watched a couple of your runs and when you were finally getting it dialed in I was amazed how smooth it launched and then just continued to pick up speed. Wow.

Thanks a bunch, fellas!  CF7 was a ton of fun for many reasons including getting to catch up with many of both the CF7 and MSHS crews.  Frank - I hope you get to make it next year.  And I'm hoping more of the Canadian contingent will be back out next year.  It was great seeing mani doing his thing what that beast 6-speed of his.

On to electrical.  It's been a critical part of the car for a number years and reasons, not the least of which I tested all kinds of crap from WOT boxes when the car was a stick to a water/meth system I installed, Nitrogen Assisted Nitrous, aeroforce gauges with Circuit Boss (remember Speedy :D) back when they weren't working on LC's, trans and blower cooling switchery...blah blah blah.  That crap adds up...  Well, A.J. decided it was a bird's nest after some deliberation and did this....

D30EE4AD-51FB-45F2-B387-4867DA80E4A4_zps

wiring%20pulled%20mar%202016.jpg

18lb's of stuff...

F9942D5C-36F1-42D9-AEDC-F0463E6C5803_zps

it was a bittersweet moment.  I put a lot of time into some of it and I paid for the rest...LMAO.   Knowing A.J. since 2010 and what he did with Dan's mean LX I knew it was going to be a transformational upgrade....

50536620-F180-46C4-8A31-3902F55CCD69_zps

7C07BA47-8418-42DA-B0C4-3AF082FF8CCA_zps

D6EBD177-2766-489B-924D-5E614A1AEDE6_zps

this connector is an example of how super clean and serviceable it is now

31C270ED-D94E-4A4D-B6D9-2BA0B920BDA4_zps

my transmission controller used to sit over my fuel pressure regulator in the engine bay (WTF???) which made my accessing the FPR to adjust pressure at the rails a PITA and the programming cable ran through the fire wall.  Now it's easy access for me playing with programming line pressure, etc... right under the pass seat

6A426855-0CAF-4651-AE0D-B84774BA1471_zps

and here is where it got really good....

59995ED2-B3B2-499F-8FF3-D4AE4CF88DA4_zps

everything of any importance funnels through this little guy that sits in my glove compartment next to my AMS boost controller.  8 relays, fuses and LED's that fire when there's a problem.  extremely serviceable...game changer

6BA2A8F4-2181-4B96-97F4-DE31B49F7EB1_zps

51DB4948-096D-4A24-AB33-F320BED68C8D_zps

all buttoned up

4FCCCF2B-B5D6-4B68-93BD-59D45C09F8FA_zps

C23F54E8-A173-44BD-A2C9-87E83D59EDEE_zps

I'm fortunate that A.J. and I see the world the same way when it comes to form vs function.

IMG_3229.jpg

HS

Wow... what a rats nest to say the least... I just hope Speedy doesn't have a heart attack when he see those pics. LMAO

AJ just made it nice and tidy. Kewl beans bro.

Again AJ FTW...

Its great to see that you finally found someone like AJ and True Street Performance to finally do your build right!!! Look forward to see her get faster......VROOM VROOM

Got to see this beauty Friday while AJ was working his magic on my car. Sam, you have one gorgeous car and surely one that is going to run like a raped ape!

Thanks a bunch, Gents!  The car has never been so well buttoned up and tidy.  No fluid leaks all over like I used to have. The new turbo kit is a huge step up in design and the ability to hold boost levels.  Fun.

OK....she's built...what did she do?  A.J. met me in Bowling Green for the first combined ChallengerFest (#7) and MSHS.  Super cool.  Got to visit with good friends from each of the events and that allowed for two track days.

The first day was about ironing out the items you find once you hit a track.  First pass was on springs at 2-3psi and to say boring is an understatement but it let us know the car was generally solid and provided data.  We had an issue at the line and I kept rolling through the transbrake so we had to figure that out.  After two passes it started to hail so the track was shut down...  Can't make that up.  

Here is my second and last pass of the first day due to the hail (car #84).  This might be one of my favorite slips as it's pure comedy.  I rolled through the transbrake and tripped the timer...after trying to figure out what was going on I mat the pedal.  Nothing like a 3.4 second 60ft at 140mph   :D    Of course I had John Lewis and that mean arse car of his in the lane next to me.  He probably finished before I started...LMAO

63f5fea4-a00c-4945-b2d3-30477b793dc3.jpg

So now we know she's making power, but we still had some tweaks to get her off the line properly and adj's to the race tune with the data.

Saturday comes and its better conditions once the track warmed up.  First pass the transbrake doesn't take but we figure out the issue.  Following are my next four passes in order.  A.J. tweaked the tune a few times and kept it conservative.  With each pass we raised the boost level a little as we grew more confident with the setup and I even hot lapped the car with zero cooling issues.  Never left with more than 2psi of boost at the line.  I'll play with that later to get the 60ft where it should be.

IMG_7203.jpg

IMG_7199.jpg

IMG_7196.jpg

On this last pass we decide to see if we could find a 9.1 sec pass and raised the boost ramp rate aggressively.  The tires break at the 60ft or so and it made for a fun pass...

IMG_7205.jpg

My good friends Malena (Speedy's lovely wife) and John Burleson shot these vids of the last pass.

This second one from Burleson has a some colorful commentary from our own John Lewis so be careful if you're at the office...

HS

Nice story Sam.  18 lbs of excess wiring, pretty crazy.  You know how I feel about tidy wiring setups and looks like you certainly got it now.  Car's hauling the mail for sure.

LMAO, mani.  Just like when it was a stick car :D

Thank you, J.  I don't know how much wiring is in there now but it's got to be a heck of a lot less than what had built up over the years. Clean as heck now and serviceable.

HS

LMAO, mani.  Just like when it was a stick car :D

Thank you, J.  I don't know how much wiring is in there now but it's got to be a heck of a lot less than what had built up over the years. Clean as heck now and serviceable.

HS

I can promise you it doesn't wrap around the car twice any more lol.

AJ

It was good seeing you and the Mrs, JL.  That beast of yours is plain old nasty and something to see haul ass down the track.  Cleared the wax out of my ears pitting next to ya...LMAO.

HS