Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Bright White R/T

Clutch Feels/acts Like It Is Not Disengaging Completely

56 posts in this topic

Need some help as I am at loss....

I have a 2012 Challenger R/T M6 ... and the trans is behaving oddly.

When I am at a dead stop with the engine off the shifter shifts like butter...... If I am at a dead stop with the engine running, the shifter becomes difficult to put into any gear.......

the clutch is a McLeod RXT which was installed within the last 10,000 miles....

this weekend I installed a new (OEM) master cylinder and new (OEM) slave cylinder.....  still the same issue.... at stop with engine off... butter smooth gear selection... with the engine running at a complete stop it is very difficult to select a gear.

It almost feels like the input shaft is still turning not allowing me to easily select a gear when standing still.

I have cleaned and greased the input spline when installing the new slave cylinder......

In motion, the trans shifts smoothly.... upshifts are a little smoother than down shifts.....

thoughts as to why the clutch/input shaft aren't completely disengaging?

thanks....

I did..... the directions that came with the clutch said nothing about measuring and shimming and did not include shims....

the TOB and slave are spring loaded to maintain contact with the clutch, so I'm not sure what shimming is going to buy you...

I think it's nuts that there is shimming required, I've had the same shifting issues. Times where it feels I have to pull the shifter out of gear as well; not a lot of force but some more than before. Plus I would have figured if shimming was the issue i would have noticed problems from the very start vs. months time later.

Not to compare apples to apples but, I have the same trans and clutch as speedy, who had no shimming issues. BUT I do realize there is that chance of not everyone's cars are the same (super hard to believe but still possible). I'm pulling the clutch here soon now that I'm done with my military affairs travel and work is slowing down, then sending it back to McLeod to let me know what issues they see, seems like pressure plate issues.

Try this if you can, when it's hard to engage gear at a stop or when downshifting at high RPMS, hold the clutch peddle all the way down with slight pressure to the gear you want to engage and rev up the engine, does the gear slip right in?

Sent from El Mobile de WildChild

I just pulled my trans yesterday after a new Mcleod RXT and checked the clearance and it's over 1/2". Not even close without shims so I guess I have to go that route.

Funny I just got off the phone with them and they told me to get a measurement on the clutch height. Crank flange to the top of the fingers should be 4.700". I mentioned shimming but he said that much of a difference makes it sound like something might be wrong with the clutch.

When I called them, they said no shimming was needed for my RPM transmission, flywheel and clutch combo which lead them to saying to remove and send back to look over

Sent from El Mobile de WildChild

Not to compare apples to apples but, I have the same trans and clutch as speedy, who had no shimming issues.

I'm pretty sure J did have trans issues.

I'm doing my clutch + QT bellhousing on the weekend and plan on measuring this shit.

I'm doing my clutch + QT bellhousing on the weekend and plan on measuring this shit.

Would be interesting to see if yours measures at 4.700"

Think J had clearance issues because he had the previous clutch offered/part # which then caused his tranny to go south. He installed the new part # with his rebuilt tranny with no shimming/issues. New part # is the one that some of us seem to be having issues with.

Let us know how it goes and what you find out. It'll be very interesting to get down to it.

Funny I just got off the phone with them and they told me to get a measurement on the clutch height. Crank flange to the top of the fingers should be 4.700". I mentioned shimming but he said that much of a difference makes it sound like something might be wrong with the clutch.

What feature are they calling the crank flange? The surface that the fly wheel bolts to?

The part # for our RXT clutch is the exact part that they send out for the Mustang . How can that be ? I guess one size fits all .

Anyone have one they haven't installed yet? From the base to the highest point (top of the clutch case) is 3 1/8" and then the clutch fingers are about 1/16" recessed below that point. Just wondering if anyone can verify theirs being the same or different.

I haven't installed mine yet, can measure if you'd like.

That would be great, thank you. I am going to call Mcleod again too and see if they have that measurement. It's hard getting an exact measurement from the crank face with the clutch installed and I don't want to pull it yet unless I have to.

When I look at Speedy's thread comparing his old incorrect clutch to the new one, mine almost looks more like the incorrect version. The clutch fingers are recessed slightly and his new one looks like they extend past the case. Maybe I'm paranoid :unsure:

I'll grab that later tonight and report back.  Others should do this too -- if there's variance from one RXT unit to another, that would indicate shoddy engineering or QC on their part.

I'll grab that later tonight and report back.  Others should do this too -- if there's variance from one RXT unit to another, that would indicate shoddy engineering or QC on their part.

I just spoke with Mcleod again and I didn't give them my measurement but I asked for what the overall height should be and they said 3.05-3.1. Mine is right in spec according to that. I am curious as to where yours is. I don't know why I'm so far off with gap.