Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RTWildChild

Removing Ecu

With all the good reviews I've seen, I've reached out to AJ aka HemiTuner for some further tuning on the 274 cam and nitrous shot. He has suggested for me to send him the ECU with my trinity to swap in a tune.

Is the ECU removal a hard task to accomplish and remove? I'm thinking I will do this in the next 1-2 weeks when I remove the clutch for repairs and other little maintenance issues.

Any suggestions or location to find and remove?

2014 Challenger R/T 6spd

Sent from El Mobile de WildChild

It's right behind the strut bar on the passenger side. Take the small plastic cover off and remove the one 13mm head bolt that holds it down. Unplug and send. It's not like a computer like you're think about.

Make sure you slide the red plastic locks back so you can depress the release on the three connectors too.

492eb94a2a9e3245f56a1ce5f4c16972.jpg61bb72397f0febca0834de8006540b30.jpg

Got it removed and ready to ship for tomorrow.

What has me curious is why remove the ECU and send off for tuning vs. (what I know/experience) with normal email tuning? Anyone know or done this method type of tuning?

From what I understand, the new PCM's have to be modified to allow a tune to be written to them. Once you get it back I believe you will be able 

to add/remove additional tunes similar to any other PCM.

Would a 2014 (6spd) still be considered as "new"?

Also, isn't the PCM separate from the ECU?

2014 is tunable with the Trinity without the ECU being modified, I have a 2014 SRT and use the Trinity with it all the time.  That said I'm sure AJ has a reason for wanting it, I'd be sure to ask him about that when you talk to him next.  Let us know what you find out.

2014 is tunable with the Trinity without the ECU being modified, I have a 2014 SRT and use the Trinity with it all the time. That said I'm sure AJ has a reason for wanting it, I'd be sure to ask him about that when you talk to him next. Let us know what you find out.

Will do. Waiting on an email response or call back from AJ to confirm.

2014 is tunable with the Trinity without the ECU being modified, I have a 2014 SRT and use the Trinity with it all the time. That said I'm sure AJ has a reason for wanting it, I'd be sure to ask him about that when you talk to him next. Let us know what you find out.

Turns out that yes, I will be needing to ship my ECU to AJ. Said to the effects of:

"updating the main calibration to remedy the issue."

So I'm guessing changes to settle in the 274 comp cam and other little things correctly. I'll be shipping off today.

Got the ECU back with the custom tune from AJ. All I can say is wow, no more hanging/ghost idle. Doesn't die out after revs. Drivability is so much smoother and car feels so much better/healthier.

Should have got ahold of AJ much sooner. I can now see what others talk about when they reference AJ aka HemiTuner.

Now that those issues are out of the way, just need to data log for A/F ratio for adjustments if needed then the nitrous tune.

Still gotta square away a few other maintenance issues first though.

Got the ECU back with the custom tune from AJ. All I can say is wow, no more hanging/ghost idle. Doesn't die out after revs. Drivability is so much smoother and car feels so much better/healthier.

Should have got ahold of AJ much sooner. I can now see what others talk about when they reference AJ aka HemiTuner.

Now that those issues are out of the way, just need to data log for A/F ratio adjustments if needed then the nitrous tune.

Still gotta square away a few other maintenance issues.

AJ FTW. Fixed many of the same issues for me too.

Enjoy!

Sent from my StarTac using Tapatalk

Not sure hoiw AJ does it... He is like a one arm paper hanger AND a one legged man  in ass kicking contest but still Get's It Done. My hat is off to him... He even answers emails!!!