Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AvantSrt8

Explain This, Rpm's Stumble And Goes Rich With Wipers

So, I can't tell you the last time I drove this car in the rain, but a light shower led me to this today.

Car stumbles and it goes rich in unison with the wiper motor. Thought maybe an alternator drag, but this happens even with HVAC blowing and EVIC volt reading barely blips.

Any thoughts? The stumble is much more apparent when car is in gear or driving.

Vid below.

https://vimeo.com/172020517

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By the looks of your evic the battery voltage is a lot lower than I would like to see

I would say alternator or battery but that is me

Just noticed today, so I have not dug any deeper yet.

Battery is a good call also. I'll be checking that as well.

And now that I'm thinking of things, car stumbled on a wot hit last week also, very similar to limp scenario, revs climbed, but it stumbled on its face and then picked back up quick. Almost like I hit a fuel cut off, which I didn't. Nothing like spark blow out or anything, I know what that is like.

Originally thought TCM threw a fit for a second, but now thinking issues may be related.

We'll see.

Alternator on its way out. Did a charging system test. Things check out under normal load, but with all accessories fired up, voltage drops to 11v.

And the 12v reading in the vid never registered with me until it was pointed out here. I was focused on any dip in voltage.

Thanks all.

Um I'd have a load test done on the battery first before giving up on the alternator. Also double check all your connections, especially the positive lead under the passenger side wheel well liner. It's protected pretty damn good, but I have seen them in bad shape before.

I did pull a load test. Borrowed a tester and did a battery test, crank test, and then a charging system test.

CCA's were 790+, 12.2 across battery and charging volts dropped when I fired all accessories up, which showed as 11.9 or so on the test.

Gonna check grounds before we pull it, just to double check. Once things heat up, that's when volts seems to start dropping off.

Thanks

I had the exact same issue and it was an old old TSB, The wiper motor arm was striking the wiring harness driving the MAP mad and cutting into the wire insulation. I found out in time before the wires were to damaged and zip tied the harness wires out of the way of the wiper motor arm.

btw- I first took the car to the dealer as it was under warranty and they changed the torque converter and never saw the TSB for the harness getting hit by the motor arm. lol, dumb asses!

How about that, seems we had two issues.

Alternator was on its way out and wiper was hitting MAP harness...lol

After we changed the alt, I fired it up and it shoot to the moon like I was standing on gas. Hhmmm...

After a few minutes of scratching my head looking for a big vacuum leak or something, pulled the plug off MAO and she idled perfectly.

The wipers were whacking the old fuel supply line right into the map sensor and wire.

I would have never looked there as quickly as I did if I didn't read your post Slide. Thanks.

Love this forum. .. lol

NP and good to see it's fixed! And good it wasn't the WM arm hitting the harness wires directly, I almost needed a new harness or a good splice job. Chrysler fixed that after '05 I think.

Wait now are you sure it's not the converter?  lol j/k