Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

ostmike

New Gen 3 Hemi 6 Speed Record 10.1@142

55 posts in this topic

Congratulations to Micah Doban for driving the OST Dyno built and tuned 2012 6 speed Challenger, owned by Howie Rumjahn to a new record ET of 10.1@142.

We believe that this is now the quickest Gen III 6 speed car on record.

Even more encouraging is the fact that this was the cars first trip to the track in the latest configuration. Our intent was to make sure all the parts were working well together and the tune was solid. It was a brutally hot day and the car was pulling a consistent 1.50 60’ with a relatively mild launch and tune up.

We will be going over the car, reviewing the data and turning up the power next time out.

For more info on this build:

http://modernmoparforum.com/topic/17596-yellow-jacket-gets-a-turbo/page-1

More detailed build info with lots of pictures:

http://modernmoparforum.com/topic/17480-ost-dynos-1000whp-turbo-challenger-build/

Special thanks to the owner of the car Howie Rumjahn for not only being a wonderful customer but also a good friend! Howie has been extremely supportive throughout this entire process and we look forward to putting him in the driver’s seat after we shave a couple more tenths off the ET – another click on the Boost Leash should do the trick :)

10.1_zpshvsqz79x.png

Crappy phone video - but it's better than nothing, well maybe not...

Is flat foot shifting possible with these cars? Im still trying to get a switch hooked up to pedal to start playing with it on my aftermarket EFI.

Yes, flat foot shifting is possible. This is the first time the car has been to the track since CF7 and Micah is learning the shifting. We think he did pretty good for his first time with the new setup.

That is kick ass guys ! So what clutch are you running and does it seem to be holding up good ?

We are still using the same Mcleod custom setup we had at CF7. It was sent back to Mcleod for repairs and we added a Ford Mustang throwout bearing which we believe was the "key" to making this setup work. Micah had to do some fabrication/welding to make the Ford throwout bearing fit in this application but it worked wonders for clutch disengagement. The RPM trans shifted smooth as can be after being refreshed as well. 

Damn, that is fast. Congrats Mike and crew, you guys called it last year and you're there now. Feels like there's still a lot on the table with this car.

Got the top stick list updated.

modernmoparforum.com/topic/724-6-speed-top-stick/

Yes, flat foot shifting is possible. This is the first time the car has been to the track since CF7 and Micah is learning the shifting. We think he did pretty good for his first time with the new setup.

We are still using the same Mcleod custom setup we had at CF7. It was sent back to Mcleod for repairs and we added a Ford Mustang throwout bearing which we believe was the "key" to making this setup work. Micah had to do some fabrication/welding to make the Ford throwout bearing fit in this application but it worked wonders for clutch disengagement. The RPM trans shifted smooth as can be after being refreshed as well. 

So is the Mustang throw out bearing assembly longer ? Just curious what issue yall saw and how this change corrected it.

So is the Mustang throw out bearing assembly longer ? Just curious what issue yall saw and how this change corrected it.

Micah spent a long time explaining his solution to me, but it was mostly over my head. Something to do with the Mopar self-adjusting hydraulic release bearing, where shimming it was insufficient because it always compensated for the shim (I probably got that wrong). I think he was planning to update the build thread with the details, now that we have a working solution.

What's really going to kill Speedy (and anyone with a Maggie or PD blower) is our IATs at launch were 96* and 105* at the top. Turbo + big-ass intercooler FTW!

Micah spent a long time explaining his solution to me, but it was mostly over my head. Something to do with the Mopar self-adjusting hydraulic release bearing, where shimming it was insufficient because it always compensated for the shim (I probably got that wrong). I think he was planning to update the build thread with the details, now that we have a working solution.

What's really going to kill Speedy (and anyone with a Maggie or PD blower) is our IATs at launch were 96* and 105* at the top. Turbo + big-ass intercooler FTW!

Well it would be kewl if he posted updates on his findings. I have seen way to many of these high dollar after market clutches in these cars taking a dump and have had suspicions of it being an issue with the throw out all along, just couldn't seem to pin point the issue.

Well it would be kewl if he posted updates on his findings. I have seen way to many of these high dollar after market clutches in these cars taking a dump and have had suspicions of it being an issue with the throw out all along, just couldn't seem to pin point the issue.

I'm sure he will eventually but I have him and Stefan covered up with work. We are thankful for the business but I am pushing these guys hard right now. 

To answer the question about the throw out bearing - which you were rightfully suspicious about all along - the factory throw out is incapable of fully disengaging the clutch plates once they become hot and expand. At least that was the case with the Mcleod custom setup. We tried custom water jetted shims and various other options. After pressing Mcleod on the issue (and this wasn't easy) we convinced them that we knew what the issue was and they indicated that their throw out for the Fords should help. They neglected to mention it doesn't bolt right up to the Chrysler trans so there was some modification/fabrication/welding required to make it fit - but it wasn't too complex, just more time.

So with that one simple mod all the naysayers can be put to rest - these transmissions can shift behind a 1000+ HP engine without issue.

Now will the input shaft continue to hold as we turn up the power? I guess we will find out shortly :)

I'm sure he will eventually but I have him and Stefan covered up with work. We are thankful for the business but I am pushing these guys hard right now. 

To answer the question about the throw out bearing - which you were rightfully suspicious about all along - the factory throw out is incapable of fully disengaging the clutch plates once they become hot and expand. At least that was the case with the Mcleod custom setup. We tried custom water jetted shims and various other options. After pressing Mcleod on the issue (and this wasn't easy) we convinced them that we knew what the issue was and they indicated that their throw out for the Fords should help. They neglected to mention it doesn't bolt right up to the Chrysler trans so there was some modification/fabrication/welding required to make it fit - but it wasn't too complex, just more time.

So with that one simple mod all the naysayers can be put to rest - these transmissions can shift behind a 1000+ HP engine without issue.

Now will the input shaft continue to hold as we turn up the power? I guess we will find out shortly :)

I wonder if an after market throw out assembly like the adjustable Ram unit would take care of the problem ?