Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Goehner

Please Welcome American Racing Solutions

55 posts in this topic

I want to thank everyone for the warm welcome to Modern Mopar Forum.  We are in the final stages of testing of our new Billet Racing Tensioner for the Hemi engine.  Stay tuned for the reveal of the last belt tensioner you will ever buy....

I want to thank everyone for the warm welcome to Modern Mopar Forum.  We are in the final stages of testing of our new Billet Racing Tensioner for the Hemi engine.  Stay tuned for the reveal of the last belt tensioner you will ever buy....

So is this a spring loaded tensioner or an adjustable manual tensioner ?

It is a spring loaded tensioner fabricated from 6061T6 Billet Aluminum, not cast. No more stress fractures, broken arms or sheered locator lugs. We use a hardener steel shaft, a series of bearings and bushings along with our property spring design. The result is a bolt on replacement for your stock tensioner that has 15 - 20 lbs more torque, which will stand up to the rigors of supercharged racing. Dyno testing late today more information will be posted here soon....

I'll be your huckleberry....

I've tried"other" aftermarket tensioners that ended up blowing a shit ton of bearing grease all over the fucking place. And after further testing, c didn't show much more tension than stock.

Obviously, too much tension on stock components, such as AC, power steering, pulleys isn't good either.

But regardless... Belt slip sucks. lol

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'll be your huckleberry....

I've tried"other" aftermarket tensioners that ended up blowing a shit ton of bearing grease all over the fucking place. And after further testing, c didn't show much more tension than stock.

Obviously, too much tension on stock components, such as AC, power steering, pulleys isn't good either.

But regardless... Belt slip sucks. lol

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'm not going to compare my product to others out there, its not my style. What I will say is this, our new tensioner has been designed for supercharged engines and specifically for when the stock tensioner just isn't enough.  It is being put through its paces and we will not release it until we are confident that it will do the job.  We had a little setback getting on the dyno yesterday, looking forward to our simulated sessions later today.....

Our New Billet Racing Belt Tensioner made for the 5.7 Hemi finally got on the dyno late on Friday.  Our testing team put the tensioner through its paces on simulated ¼ mile runs making over 900 HP.  It was thumbs up all around as our tensioner performed to every bit of our expectations.  Here is some of the feedback we received from the team; there was not wasted motion, the belt never slaps around as the tensioner just calmly takes up the slack.  Running with our new tensioner the car achieved the highest boost ever.  We will be making a couple of minor modifications and will be in production and ready to ship within 2 weeks.

Oh gezzz. First off it sure looks like it's working just fine. Congrats! But that's Richard and Alex's magnum with a maggy up top. Sorry brother but that ain't no where near that HP level. You should go over and see ken at KB and have them put it through its paces as well.

But I will say I know several maggy guys that sure seem to have a lot of issue with keeping a belt in and that one is tracking very nicely. So I am impressed.

And frank, some friendly advice. This board may not be all that busy with activities. But anybody who's legit and good at this game hangs out here.

Just because we claim a 30hp bump off a catch can, we all know it's only 20

lol.

Hey all, I haven't posted here in a bit, so time to update y'all. Cam, BFNY Performance, actually, we have a new combo in Maggie now. It's an Arrington 426 engine with custom Comp camshaft. On race fuel it made 908 HP in February on the Arrington Engine dyno. But that was with the old headers. Hedman used our car to prototype new 2" long tube headers optimized for power adder HEMI cars. We made 800.5 RWHP on the Magnuson Dyno in May. Car has run a best pass of 9.85 @ 136 MPH with a 60 foot of 1.30 flat, it weighed 4,090 pounds on the scales that day with Alex in the car. More tweaks on the car and we're making more power now in preparation for the September NMCA West race where Alex is tied for 3rd in the championship in the Quick Street class. Alex won the New HEMI Challenge class at Mopars at the Strip in the first race of the year as well. The car has a custom built TH400 transmission now and Alex shifts manually on a shift light.

We've been cutting/throwing/shredding belts all year. Four different tensions, each would help a little, but we never knew when the belt would come off. Then we fabricated a manual tensioner, again it helped for a while. We also broke two tensioners this year, the idler pulley on one and we actually broke the locating lug off another. With our latest power tweaks we got to the point where we cannot make a full pass without losing the belt. It usually breaks at max torque in 3rd gear during the run. We run Trinity datalogs as well as an AEM AQ1 data logger, so I know what's going on during the run. I and the car spent last week at Magnuson working on a few things on the car. We received the prototype tensioner from American Racing Solutions and I can tell you that it is the bomb. The video that I posted to YouTube shows how well it worked. By the way, on the third pass in that video we were at 800 RWHP already at only 6,000 RPM (we run the new engine to 7,000 RPM in each gear) and the tires started to slip on the dyno. With the ARS tensioner we saw more boost than we've ever seen, even with the manual tensioner. We picked up .4 pounds of boost and the extra power was more than the tires could get to the dyno rollers.

Final proof will be on the track September 18th. But I can tell you that we have never had a belt as steady and drama free as the one we have with the ARS tensioner. Nor have we ever achieved as much boost from our combo as we did with the new tensioner. This is my job as Editor-Publisher of MoparMax magazine, finding new companies and parts that the Mopar New Gen Nation might be interested in. And this tensioner is one of them. There will be more details later in the magazine article. If you are having problems with belts, you might want to look at this product. If you're not having problems with your belt, then you're good as is. We just test stuff and let you and our readers know the results. More to come...

Graph_redacted.jpg

20160524_140922_1200_800.5_Graph.jpg

Alex_Wheels_Up_746_800web.jpg

Alright Frank.....if your tensioner can control this is will truly be impressed and have 2 guys that will be as well and probably ready to buy.

I have run into this on two whipples and a Magnusson so far with cams that are not the tame smooth idle stuff you find on most builds. We are ready to go manual tensioner at this point.

OsO, yes you're right, the two belt setup helps. But for now, if you want two belts, you have to make the parts yourself and very few owners have that ability. So the bolt-on route is more realistic for most people that are encountering belt problems.

BFNY, we tried the manual tensioner route and there is one big short-coming. The belts at high rpm full throttle stretch, a lot, that's what the tensioner is adjusting for. You just can't get it tight enough static to actually take out all the slack you want at full load. When we tried a different design that allowed us to get a tremendous amount of static load, then we started snapping the belts when the throttle was chopped. So, without enough tension we'd break/shred under WOT high RPM, get enough lots of tension on it and then the belt would break/shred coming out of the burnout, or at the shift, or if Alex needed to lift at the top end to win a round. Having a tensioner with a powerful spring is a good solution. Also, by it's nature, a manual adjuster puts stress on the tensioner that is not in the plane of the belt. When we cranked up the tension to keep the belt tight we ended up distorting the tensioner under load and the belt would walk of the pulley which was now twisted out of the correct plane.

This is not a simple problem, and like any good crew chief will tell you, it's good to have more than one tool in your toolbox. 

Hey all, I haven't posted here in a bit, so time to update y'all. Cam, BFNY Performance, actually, we have a new combo in Maggie now. It's an Arrington 426 engine with custom Comp camshaft. On race fuel it made 908 HP in February on the Arrington Engine dyno. But that was with the old headers. Hedman used our car to prototype new 2" long tube headers optimized for power adder HEMI cars. We made 800.5 RWHP on the Magnuson Dyno in May. Car has run a best pass of 9.85 @ 136 MPH with a 60 foot of 1.30 flat, it weighed 4,090 pounds on the scales that day with Alex in the car. More tweaks on the car and we're making more power now in preparation for the September NMCA West race where Alex is tied for 3rd in the championship in the Quick Street class. Alex won the New HEMI Challenge class at Mopars at the Strip in the first race of the year as well. The car has a custom built TH400 transmission now and Alex shifts manually on a shift light.

We've been cutting/throwing/shredding belts all year. Four different tensions, each would help a little, but we never knew when the belt would come off. Then we fabricated a manual tensioner, again it helped for a while. We also broke two tensioners this year, the idler pulley on one and we actually broke the locating lug off another. With our latest power tweaks we got to the point where we cannot make a full pass without losing the belt. It usually breaks at max torque in 3rd gear during the run. We run Trinity datalogs as well as an AEM AQ1 data logger, so I know what's going on during the run. I and the car spent last week at Magnuson working on a few things on the car. We received the prototype tensioner from American Racing Solutions and I can tell you that it is the bomb. The video that I posted to YouTube shows how well it worked. By the way, on the third pass in that video we were at 800 RWHP already at only 6,000 RPM (we run the new engine to 7,000 RPM in each gear) and the tires started to slip on the dyno. With the ARS tensioner we saw more boost than we've ever seen, even with the manual tensioner. We picked up .4 pounds of boost and the extra power was more than the tires could get to the dyno rollers.

Final proof will be on the track September 18th. But I can tell you that we have never had a belt as steady and drama free as the one we have with the ARS tensioner. Nor have we ever achieved as much boost from our combo as we did with the new tensioner. This is my job as Editor-Publisher of MoparMax magazine, finding new companies and parts that the Mopar New Gen Nation might be interested in. And this tensioner is one of them. There will be more details later in the magazine article. If you are having problems with belts, you might want to look at this product. If you're not having problems with your belt, then you're good as is. We just test stuff and let you and our readers know the results. More to come...

Graph_redacted.jpg

20160524_140922_1200_800.5_Graph.jpg

Alex_Wheels_Up_746_800web.jpg

First off I want to thank Richard for being so forthright with the information on his car, the data that he shared and the comments about our new tensioner.  I also want everyone to know that while this is our first tensioner for Hemi it has been engineered and built using the same technology that we use in some of our other products.  We have tensioners running on Mustangs and COPOs making over 1,100 HP and we have solved problems for those cars running several different brands of superchargers.  Our partnership with Richard has allowed us to bring the Hemi tensioner to market sooner than we expected.  We are excited about the upcoming NMCA West race in a couple of weeks and we are proud to be on board with Richard and Alex.

OsO, yes you're right, the two belt setup helps. But for now, if you want two belts, you have to make the parts yourself and very few owners have that ability. So the bolt-on route is more realistic for most people that are encountering belt problems.

BFNY, we tried the manual tensioner route and there is one big short-coming. The belts at high rpm full throttle stretch, a lot, that's what the tensioner is adjusting for. You just can't get it tight enough static to actually take out all the slack you want at full load. When we tried a different design that allowed us to get a tremendous amount of static load, then we started snapping the belts when the throttle was chopped. So, without enough tension we'd break/shred under WOT high RPM, get enough lots of tension on it and then the belt would break/shred coming out of the burnout, or at the shift, or if Alex needed to lift at the top end to win a round. Having a tensioner with a powerful spring is a good solution. Also, by it's nature, a manual adjuster puts stress on the tensioner that is not in the plane of the belt. When we cranked up the tension to keep the belt tight we ended up distorting the tensioner under load and the belt would walk of the pulley which was now twisted out of the correct plane.

This is not a simple problem, and like any good crew chief will tell you, it's good to have more than one tool in your toolbox.

luckily not one word of that answered what I asked. But thanks cause I really needed to know I could over spin the crap out of a Magnusson without belt slip.

Agreed but your testing on a car with dual belts meaning your test car does not represent the cars looking for a bolt on solution. 

Frank are you from the U.K?

luckily not one word of that answered what I asked. But thanks cause I really needed to know I could over spin the crap out of a Magnusson without belt slip.

We have a name for that.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor