Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Teddyp

Which Shift Light??

Hey looking for some real user comments on two shift lights. I'm looking at the SST by Speedhut vs the Raptor. The SST plugs right into the OBDII port versus the Raptor having to be wired to a coil pack. That's no big deal but is a pro for the former. Does anybody have any opinion on the reliability, quality, and performance of these two? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a Raptor on the work bench awaiting install.  I took the dash apart Sunday to pick an install location.  I wanted it in the dash with the gauges, but that's not possible, so it'll go on my dual pod a pillar.

Install is like 4 or 5 wires. 

I wouldn't rely on OBDII for fear of responsiveness.  The Trinity sucks as a shift light.

Jay, I always wanted to mount the light between the speedo and tach, in that little "upside down triangle" area up between them. When you took the dash apart did you happen to notice if there is room there? If so any idea on how to actually secure it? I was thinking of a rubber grommet of some sort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkedbad7edeaeaab140810260773e5d214.jpg

That's exactly where I intended to install mine.  There are two issues, one easily solvable, the other not solvable unfortunately.

There is a tab and mounting point right at the apex of that triangle on the back.  Easy enough to shave off.

However, the circuit board for the speedo runs the full length and width of that entire space.  There is no way to fit the shift light as cutting through the circuit board would obviously cause the instrument cluster to no longer function.  All the plugs for the cluster are across the very top.

BALLS!!!! Such a perfect looking spot too. Oh well. Thanks for the feed back. Guess I'll mount it to the double gauge "A" pillar cover too. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there not room at the back of the column? Was planning on adding one at some point but haven't figured out where to put one myself. 

Not really Chuck.  The column telescopes and raises and lowers.  There's a cheaply designed roller shade (technical term) at the back of the column to hide the gap.  The two locations I chose were either the A/C vent (driver side middle) or the dual pillar pod (under the bottom pod).  The pillar pod will be my solution.

I liked the idea of hiding it in the AC vent, but with a pillar pod full of gauges, no since going through extra work to make it not look modified at this point lol

Is there not room at the back of the column? Was planning on adding one at some point but haven't figured out where to put one myself. 

Chuck what about mounting it on top of your dash gauge pod ?

i mounted mine in this location. its a magic spot where the light can be pushed in and it almost looks factory. its also easy to pull out when changing rpm settings. Its perfect for drag racing but if you need it for road racing wouldnt be as good. If you turn the wheel left enough you would cover the light.

post-618-0-85080900-1473438026_thumb.jpg

i mounted mine in this location. its a magic spot where the light can be pushed in and it almost looks factory. its also easy to pull out when changing rpm settings. Its perfect for drag racing but if you need it for road racing wouldnt be as good. If you turn the wheel left enough you would cover the light.

You got pics of it mounted here?  I'll double check my 2009, but I "think" my circuit board covers that area as well.

i will try and find one.....i have a video so i can probably take a screen shot. and yea, I dont know about the differences between the big white gauge cluster package from your year to a '14 but in that area the cluster kinda looks like this....there is a bump up so you only have to put a hole in the snap on black plastic bezel. I figured even if I screwed it up, or wanted to return to stock, that piece cant be very much money

shift light 2

found a screen shot to use....not the best , but all I could do while at work

shift light 3

Cool, gives me another option to explore.  My dash is still a part so I can check real quick tonight and see if it's a viable space and then see how the wheel would hide it in various situations if so.  Thanks for the tip.

Well, looked at the dash again, and at least in my 2009 R/T that area to the right of the tach isn't viable.  There's just not enough room to squeeze the light in there between the cluster and the metal backing plate.

I'll be using the pillar pod.  If you don't have one of those, the a/c vent would be my 2nd choice.

What about above and between the tach and speedo, I know it's not a "flat" surface of angled, but with a thick enough grommet modified if could be made to counter the angle. All across that area left to right is open space? Though the pillar pod is prob an easier install

What about above and between the tach and speedo, I know it's not a "flat" surface of angled, but with a thick enough grommet modified if could be made to counter the angle. All across that area left to right is open space? Though the pillar pod is prob an easier install

I believe Speedy posted earlier in this thread that wont work due to the printed cicuit board being in the way.

I believe Speedy posted earlier in this thread that wont work due to the printed cicuit board being in the way.

I think he was referring to using the actual cluster, I'm talking about above the actual cluster....which may not work anyways due to the angle, or at least prove too difficult